MJ’s most recognizable song of all time

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
Which is MJ’s most recognizable song of all time?

I am referring to this song that almost every human being in every corner of the world recognizes it immediately.

Billie Jean, Black or White, Smooth Criminal, Beat It or another song?

(not in terms of sales)

i would say TWYMMF... that's the song most casual fans seem to know, other than the Thriller classics of course. I'm referring to those who i have spoken to, some other's are 'Smooth Criminal' played on the screens the day he passed on the TV's at my old school, and also.. i met another fan at my old school too... i actually got her a pretty awesome MJ wall display

most recognizable song is Billie Jean, not just because of the subject matter but because of the performance associated w/that song during Motown 25 that he would perform continuously over the next two decades, with the iconic glove and glittered socks, the suspense leading up to it, the original pose at the beginning of the performance honoring the late Sammy Davis Jr., and the introduction of the moonwalk to the masses....Billie Jean was always the staple performance during his tours

He has many songs which are equally recognizable to the public.

Pretty obviously Billie Jean I would think.

His 5 most recognisable:
Billie Jean
Thriller
Beat It
Bad
TWYMMF

He has many songs which are equally recognizable to the public.

I read the title and thought this. I'm not entirely sure if there is one song you can single out as the most recognisable...

Although I am tempted to say Billie Jean or TWYMMF... maybe SC (see, now I'm having trouble :p)

Michael's Top 10 songs on Spotify (not counting current releases which always have an advantage due to being new):

1. Billie Jean
2. Man In The Mirror
3. Beat It
4. Thriller
5. Smooth Criminal
6. Black or White
7. The Way You Make Me Feel
8. They Don't Care About Us
9. Dirty Diana
10. P.Y.T.

I think this kind of answers it.

most recognizable song is Billie Jean, not just because of the subject matter but because of the performance associated w/that song during Motown 25 that he would perform continuously over the next two decades, with the iconic glove and glittered socks, the suspense leading up to it, the original pose at the beginning of the performance honoring the late Sammy Davis Jr., and the introduction of the moonwalk to the masses....Billie Jean was always the staple performance during his tours

And dont forget the music video of the ground lighting up as he walks on it

"Thriller", without any doubt, then followed by "Billie Jean", then "Bad" and "Beat It".

Pretty obviously Billie Jean I would think.

His 5 most recognisable:
Billie Jean
Thriller
Beat It
Bad
TWYMMF

I thought this list was pretty perfect, except one of them should be Man In the Mirror-but can't figure out which song should go!! All 6 deserve to be in the top 5 most recognizable. :(

Last edited:
In this order:

Billie Jean
Thriller
Beat It
Bad
Rock With You

Billie Jean for sure for the general public. But that's a shame because he has more songs that are much more better than Billie Jean. Like WYBT, Who Is It, Smooth Criminal, Bad, TDCAU, MITM, TWYMMF and Dangerous.

Billie Jean for sure for the general public. But that's a shame because he has more songs that are much more better than Billie Jean. Like WYBT, Who Is It, Smooth Criminal, Bad, TDCAU, MITM, TWYMMF and Dangerous.

I'm not sure many would agree Bad is a better song than Billie Jean, but I take your point.

Michael's Top 10 songs on Spotify (not counting current releases which always have an advantage due to being new):

1. Billie Jean
2. Man In The Mirror
3. Beat It
4. Thriller
5. Smooth Criminal
6. Black or White
7. The Way You Make Me Feel
8. They Don't Care About Us
9. Dirty Diana
10. P.Y.T.

I think this kind of answers it.

I don't think Spotify stats are indicative of the population at large.

I have a hard time believing that songs like PYT and TDCAU are more well known than Bad, WBSS, Earth Song, Rock With You and DSTYGE.

I don't think Spotify stats are indicative of the population at large.

I have a hard time believing that songs like PYT and TDCAU are more well known than Bad, WBSS, Earth Song, Rock With You and DSTYGE.

TDCAU is very popular on both Spotify and YouTube. I think on YouTube it's second only to Thriller.

TDCAU is very popular on both Spotify and YouTube. I think on YouTube it's second only to Thriller.

Recent events have certainly helped it. Around the time of the Ferguson Riots, I recall seeing a Tumblr post of that song go viral, with the notes (aka how many people liked/reblogged it) going up in the thousands every few minutes. Was cool to just refresh and watch it steadily grow!

^^TDCAU is popular now because of the race/police protests going on in US maybe??

^^Historic just answered it. I think that's the reason. I've read that it's been used in several articles.

Back