Siedah Garret recent twitter post

Bubs

Proud Member
I don't know if anyone else is getting annoyed with Siedah but I am.
A few weeks ago,I watched Bad 25 documentary again I got annoyed when Siedah was talking about MITM. She talked over Glen Ballard so he barely had chance to say his participation of creating MITM, given that it was written and composed by herself and Glen.

Now I came across he tweet
SIEDAH GARRETT @SIEDAHGARRETT · 22h 22 hours ago
American Idol features another of my songs tonite, watch contestant @nickfradiani perform “Man In The Mirror”. Luv U! http://fb.me/3abfOy9kM

:unsure:
What you think?

Her song? Excuuuuuuuse me, bitch. It's BECAUSE OF Michael that Man In The Mirror was a hit. It's because of MICHAEL that you got in the spotlights (for a short amount of time)

^^ That bit annoyed me, she said my song, not our song like giving credit to Glen nor MJ :beee:

It's a song she wrote so what's the problem? Everybody knows that Michael sung it and made it famous.

I don't really know why we have to discuss a tweet like this :D
She wants people to know that SHE wrote it and not she and Michael so i think it's ok.

She's a little big headed, but she has a point. Brilliant lyrics, but if she released it then it wouldn't have charted anywhere close to the top 40. Michael made it his own, refined & polished.

I hope no one will start harassing her on Twitter, and I don't see this as a big deal. Some MJ fans can be too sensitive sometimes

I agree analogue. The song is a part of her legacy with Michael. There is no disputing that and I am sure she does not.

Christ above people will complain about absolutely anything these days. She wrote a very very popular song, and is allowed be happy when it gets credit. Regardless of who wrote it with her, its still her baby.

Mother of god the internet these days....

I love Siedah. She's a bubbly extrovert and great talent that is proud of her song!!
She always raves about Michael. She adores him.

Bubs;4083073 said:
I don't know if anyone else is getting annoyed with Siedah but I am.
A few weeks ago,I watched Bad 25 documentary again I got annoyed when Siedah was talking about MITM. She talked over Glen Ballard so he barely had chance to say his participation of creating MITM, given that it was written and composed by herself and Glen.

Now I came across he tweet
SIEDAH GARRETT @SIEDAHGARRETT · 22h 22 hours ago
American Idol features another of my songs tonite, watch contestant @nickfradiani perform “Man In The Mirror”. Luv U! http://fb.me/3abfOy9kM

:unsure:
What you think?

You do realise that the interview on BAD25 wasnt live, yeah?

Christ above people will complain about absolutely anything these days. She wrote a very very popular song, and is allowed be happy when it gets credit. Regardless of who wrote it with her, its still her baby.

Mother of god the internet these days....

Jeez:scratch:
If the kitchen gets too hot, get out of there:D

and yes, I do know it wasn't live interview, but if you looked the whole doc, Spike allowed her to go on for ever about where she was when MJ died, so I would assume, she wasn't interrupted while she was going on with her take of how she wrote the song with little help from Glen.

If you don't see it that way ok and fine, but do you really have to throw a hissy fit over simple question what people think?

oh my gaawwwddd

Some of y'all really try to reach for the tiniest thing and blow it up.

Look, she wrote the song, so why not embrace it?? Should she always look mopey and shut up? If I wrote a huge Mj song, I'd be happy all the time too. We all know he's the one who made it his own, but yeesh.

As for Bad 25, did you ever think it was the way it was edited? Spike probably spoke to them for a bit, but Sideah being more charming, made the cut more.

Enjoy some spongebob boots

tumblr_inline_nhtci6tSyx1qg28i4.gif

Jeez again. What part is so hard to understand. I'm not annoyed because she doesn't give any credit to MJ, but I'm annoyed because she doesn't give any credit to Glen Ballard, you know "Man in the Mirror" was composed by Glen Ballard and Siedah Garrett.

I went to utube yesterday and looked 3 different interviews from her to various media outlets in different country, and she does the same thing, no mention to Glen Ballard. Don't you think you should give the credit where its due.

Some of you guys remind me of people that post "who cares" comment under some article comment section.
I have medicine for you guys:)

michael_jackson_meme_by_raymondeternal-d7r112z.jpg

Threads like this scare the funk out of me.

Calling her a bitch?! Please.

If I'd have written a song anywhere near as good as MITM, I'd damn make sure I called it my song also.

And every time she mentions the song, she should also mention Glenn Ballard?
Maybe she should also list the engineers, producers, choir members, and instrument players each time she speaks of it too while she's at it.

Her song? Excuuuuuuuse me, bitch. It's BECAUSE OF Michael that Man In The Mirror was a hit. It's because of MICHAEL that you got in the spotlights (for a short amount of time)

Siedah Garrett was already involved and performing in the music industry before she and Michael started working together......Siedah had participated in one of the best songs of 1984 in "Don't Look Any Further" in 1984 with Temptations lead singer of the 80s Dennis Edwards. She was already making a name for her same singing background vocals for a number of successful artists during the early 80s

Man In The Mirror became a signature because of Siedah's excellent songwriting and Michael's ability to emote those lyrics....She had real talent...

Michael did not initiate the creation of that song, it was Siedah......

and since their work together, she has carved out a longstanding career for herself writing songs for other artists and performing as well

She wrote it and it's her song. She has the right to tweet it as she did.

It's not a competition or some kind of exclusive ownership deal. Siedah, Glen and Michael all have/had the right to describe it as their song.

Just for fun, I decided to google Glen Ballard and see if he mentions Siedah in any of his interviews. So far, I haven't found any that he mentions her as a co-writer either, but I ran across this really interesting one from 2003 where he talks about his work with Quincy as part of the Quest songwriting team. I know Michael wrote and talked a lot about Quincy's gifts in the past of choosing the right songs and knowing what was right for him and what he would like-and I do think Quincy is extremely gifted.

After reading this, I just couldn't imagine what it would be like to have an ear like that to know exactly what to do with a song or what you could try with a singer that could take something from really great to phenomenal. Glen really gives some good examples of Quincy's gift. And he mentions 'Man In the Mirror' as an example.

AN APPRENTICESHIP WITH QUINCY JONES

Glen learnt his chops under the masterful direction of Quincy Jones, so I asked him how Jones' way of working compared to his own. Ballard: "Our production styles are actually pretty different. I'm in the trenches creating the songs first for most of the stuff I work on, but he did less of that — he's obviously a great composer, but he wasn't out writing a lot of the material. He was the conductor of the orchestra as much as anything. He would get really talented people, give them a context, and let them be creative, letting him mould that. He was brilliant at doing that, and he was great at casting the right players for the right songs. He also knew exactly where the arrangement needed to be different, or what could be improved. When I started out working for him, I always wanted to make sure that I learned as much as possible, and I always brought my best stuff with me because nothing gets past him and he hears everything! It was like a masterclass in arranging to have him saying 'This should be here, this should be up an octave,' or whatever. With a few seemingly minor corrections, he just elevated the whole thing. When we were making 'Man In The Mirror', the bell sound at the beginning was an octave lower originally, and he told me to take that up an octave, to make it really high and eerie. We did it, and it was exactly right.
"Quincy always kept the right atmosphere in the studio. He was an encouraging and warm presence, and you wanted to do well for him, but not because he was intimidating, but because he genuinely loved people. He'd always do positive things to get the best out of people, not negative things. He wanted everyone to work hard and make it a joyful experience, with the egos left out of it. I never saw him lose his temper or his composure at any point — even when he was under deadline pressure and a second engineer had erased something, which I've seen happen. He realised that throwing a fit wasn't going to help anything. I've seen other people behaving badly in the studio, and there's no point to it — it makes everybody uncomfortable. For me, if we're not having fun on my sessions, I want to know why."

This is a pretty good article, especially good reading for those that are interested in how songs are constructed, etc. in the studio and the types of equipment they use and why.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar03/articles/glennballard.asp

SIEDAH GARRETT @SIEDAHGARRETT · April 20th

Today working on my book chapter about co-writing "Keep The Faith" with Glen and MJ for his Dangerous album.
CDEMAevUUAAgXqn.jpg:large

barbee0715;4083483 said:
Just for fun, I decided to google Glen Ballard and see if he mentions Siedah in any of his interviews. So far, I haven't found any that he mentions her as a co-writer either, but I ran across this really interesting one from 2003 where he talks about his work with Quincy as part of the Quest songwriting team. I know Michael wrote and talked a lot about Quincy's gifts in the past of choosing the right songs and knowing what was right for him and what he would like-and I do think Quincy is extremely gifted.

After reading this, I just couldn't imagine what it would be like to have an ear like that to know exactly what to do with a song or what you could try with a singer that could take something from really great to phenomenal. Glen really gives some good examples of Quincy's gift. And he mentions 'Man In the Mirror' as an example.

AN APPRENTICESHIP WITH QUINCY JONES

Glen learnt his chops under the masterful direction of Quincy Jones, so I asked him how Jones' way of working compared to his own. Ballard: "Our production styles are actually pretty different. I'm in the trenches creating the songs first for most of the stuff I work on, but he did less of that — he's obviously a great composer, but he wasn't out writing a lot of the material. He was the conductor of the orchestra as much as anything. He would get really talented people, give them a context, and let them be creative, letting him mould that. He was brilliant at doing that, and he was great at casting the right players for the right songs. He also knew exactly where the arrangement needed to be different, or what could be improved. When I started out working for him, I always wanted to make sure that I learned as much as possible, and I always brought my best stuff with me because nothing gets past him and he hears everything! It was like a masterclass in arranging to have him saying 'This should be here, this should be up an octave,' or whatever. With a few seemingly minor corrections, he just elevated the whole thing. When we were making 'Man In The Mirror', the bell sound at the beginning was an octave lower originally, and he told me to take that up an octave, to make it really high and eerie. We did it, and it was exactly right.
"Quincy always kept the right atmosphere in the studio. He was an encouraging and warm presence, and you wanted to do well for him, but not because he was intimidating, but because he genuinely loved people. He'd always do positive things to get the best out of people, not negative things. He wanted everyone to work hard and make it a joyful experience, with the egos left out of it. I never saw him lose his temper or his composure at any point — even when he was under deadline pressure and a second engineer had erased something, which I've seen happen. He realised that throwing a fit wasn't going to help anything. I've seen other people behaving badly in the studio, and there's no point to it — it makes everybody uncomfortable. For me, if we're not having fun on my sessions, I want to know why."

This is a pretty good article, especially good reading for those that are interested in how songs are constructed, etc. in the studio and the types of equipment they use and why.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar03/articles/glennballard.asp

Awesome, totally awesome

oh neat, i guess even if you just wrote a song, you get a plaque too for high sales.
I grew to love Keep The Faith later on. It was kinda filler when I was younger. Wish it had been a single.

Keep The Faith is the most underrated song on Dangerous

Keep The Faith is the most underrated song on Dangerous

Totally agree. Funnily enough, because Dangerous was a childhood album for me, Keep the Faith is actually one of the strongest memory jolts for me. That song was my jam (and still is.) It's one of the reasons I hope there's a Dangerous 25, only because it's by far my favorite album and I'm interested in the creative process of it all (like how Bill Bottrell and MJ came up with Give In to Me during a studio jam session.)

Awesome, totally awesome
You're right-I thought it was pretty awesome too-especially the way Glen described the little changes Quincy made for the better. I was watching something on him the other day and somebody called him "a song's best friend." I liked that too.
When we were posting in the other thread, I was looking up something on Quincy and ran across a transcript of his American Masters show in 2005, which was GREAT. I found it on Amazon and thinking about ordering it.

Back