NEW rare amateur footage of Michael at a dance club

Re: NEW rare amateur footage: Michael at a dance club in the early 80s!

Thanks for this.

Gotta love young OTW carefree Mike.

Makes me smile. :D And now, I wanna know the occasion, where he was, when it was, and why he was there.

Makes me smile. :D And now, I wanna know the occasion, where he was, when it was, and why he was there.

Same outfit as here, so maybe the same day?

Not going to lie when I read the title I thought this was an April fool. Thanks for posting !

Wow! Imagine being in a club and then randomly have Michael Jacksons perform a song! Precious footage, thank you respect!

The person who uploaded it:

My uncle had it on a vhs tape. He said it was in 1980 that he recorded it from a local bay area music show. I think it was in a club in Oakland.?

Yes, it's all from the same day in Oakland. After the interview and before this little gig in a teen music club he was at a record store where the following photo with Sheila E comes from.

485305.jpeg

The person who uploaded it:

My uncle had it on a vhs tape. He said it was in 1980 that he recorded it from a local bay area music show. I think it was in a club in Oakland.?

^^ It's from 1979 though. :)

Wow, this is amazing! Thanks so much for posting. Just a few days ago you stumbled upon that rare pic of MJ performing at Studio 54 and now we have actual footage of another random club performance. So cool!

Thank you very much for posting this. :clap:

I don't know why my post was deleted, but it's wonderful to see Michael enjoying himself in such an intimate setting. He had a great effect on people, and it's a pleasure to see new thing's like this coming to light.

Thanks for sharing :) Good to see something where Michael's happy like that.
(+Zakk, look at ur p.m please lol)

I don't know why my post was deleted, but it's wonderful to see Michael enjoying himself in such an intimate setting. He had a great effect on people, and it's a pleasure to see new thing's like this coming to light.

I think there was some derailing of the thread yesterday, so some posts fell victim to that. I'm glad to see it back on topic now.

Thanks for sharing :) Good to see something where Michael's happy like that.
(+Zakk, look at ur p.m please lol)

I have seen it, but i would not like to go off topic any further so i shall say that i don't think it will work. We just gotta wait for the estate to dip into Michael's archive in that volume

So did this just get posted on YouTube or you've just seen it?

I don't get how this and other clips get suddenly found.

That's pretty cool, he would have been used to performing for crowds much larger than that but he didn't act like he was above performing for small ones. Awesome!

This is GOLD. This is probably the first clip EVER where he had a small, private audience. He said that he was usually shy in smaller, more intimate crowds like this.

I live in the bay area!! Why couldn't I have been born and be there!! Help me lord!!

Last edited:
Very nice footage and such an intimate setting. What a great experience to have been there.

That Oakland clip had to be one of the biggest surprises of my life-and one of the most totally delightful. Man, I really, really miss those days.And all those little girls just screaming away, even in a little club. :)

And this one-the first time I saw it I was struck about 1:38 where he says something about "he hates hospitals." And I thought what in the heck happened (and probably just a few years after this) that suddenly turned him into a person that practically LIVED in hospitals, visiting sick and terminally ill kids for the rest of his life?

And this one-the first time I saw it I was struck about 1:38 where he says something about "he hates hospitals." And I thought what in the heck happened (and probably just a few years after this) that suddenly turned him into a person that practically LIVED in hospitals, visiting sick and terminally ill kids for the rest of his life?

Well, I guess his desire to help others overwrote his uncomfortable feelings. They might have never ceased but sometimes you have to do uncomfotable things for bigger goals.

Well, I guess his desire to help others overwrote his uncomfortable feelings. They might have never ceased but sometimes you have to do uncomfotable things for bigger goals.
Maybe so. I was picturing some kind of epiphany and was wondering what it could be-maybe like the Pepsi burn and his time there at the hospital-or maybe something we don't know about. Especially since going to hospitals and orphanages, etc. pretty much became his life's work (besides music, of course).

You know how something can just click in you and all of the sudden you have a 180 difference in what you think and feel? I've had that happen to me and it's quite weird. And you just sit and think-what just happened? Anyway, that's what really struck me in this.

Jacksons visited children's hospitals since early 70s, it wasn't something Michael started doing after an epiphany. He did it his whole life. Doesn't mean he enjoyed it. In fact, it probably took an emotional toll on him - there are stories about him crying after those visits. He probably hated those hospitals. But he felt like he had to do it, like he was helping those kids by doing it. And it was true.

Back