Michael Jackson's best compilation album

Best one for general public is Essential but if you want a mix of his greatest song's, unreleased tracks and rarities I would say TUC also

The Ultimate Collection - as a fan who otherwise has all his studio albums.

For a casual fan Essential.

The United Kingdom three-disc pressing of King of Pop is (in my opinion) the best choice for a casual/budding fan. It isn't as biased as Essential and offers a ton of songs that aren't as universally known ("Speechless," "Working Day and Night," "Is It Scary," "Smile").

For experienced fans? Either The Ultimate Collection, Michael or Xscape - the latter two only because they offer brand new music.

People should buy the albums not compilations.

Ideally yes, but the reality of life is that most casual fans buy compilation albums from most artists. MJ's Number Ones and Essential are on the Billboard 200 all the time, so there is a demand for compilations.

I personally think that the King of Pop is a good Best Off album of his adult solo career. It represents songs from all albums from Off the Wall to Invincible and the choice of songs was set by the fans ..

Ideally yes, but the reality of life is that most casual fans buy compilation albums from most artists. MJ's Number Ones and Essential are on the Billboard 200 all the time, so there is a demand for compilations.

Yup. Compilation albums are the perfect way to introduce someone to an artist, especially one with a reasonably large library like Michael. It's how I got into him (and other artists).

“The Ultimate Collection” offers a more comprehensive experience than the others (although compilation albums are pure marketing strategy).

People should buy the albums not compilations.

I mentioned not one thing about buying anything. I simply want to know which of his compilations would be worthy of being considered amongst the greatest compilations in popular music industry, so something that could stand up the giants like n of Bob Marley's Legend or the Eagles' Greatest Hits.

Not always mate, Bob Marley's Legend is perfect example of this.

I don't think that is a comparable situation. Thing is with Bob Marley's Legend that that is the only Bob Marley album that the public buys. He does not have a truly legendary studio album, so whenever someone wants a Bob Marley record they will buy the Legend compilation. There isn't really anything else that sells from his catalog. With Michael it's different because there are always at least about 3-4 albums of his present on the charts. Number Ones is his best selling compilation, but Essential is also a regular on the charts. And then there is Thriller and Bad which are also regulars on the charts.

Back