What would be the most successful project they could release now?

rsggamer123

Proud Member
I think the fan community in general are screaming out for a HD concert release. If they were able to i think a Bad 88/89 concert in HD released to theatres and Blu Ray (perhaps even 3d) if possible would probably be the most successful project they could release. Second would probably be the 'One Night Only' rehearsals where they could (depending on how much was recorded and how 'finished' the show was) could promote this in a similar style to This Is It, as a totally rare, never before seen concert in the making that never was.

So these are my picks: HD Bad concert in theatres and DVD and Blu Ray and One Night Only movie/documentary. What are yours?

In terms of visual material a project centered on One Night Only would probably blow everything else out of the water. If this project was put together well, with a documentary about the show and tons of raw rehearsal footage, this would probably be the holy grail for a huge portion of the fanbase.

In terms of visual material a project centered on One Night Only would probably blow everything else out of the water. If this project was put together well, with a documentary about the show and tons of raw rehearsal footage, this would probably be the holy grail for a huge portion of the fanbase.

I agree.

I'm looking forward to a HD release of Bad, Dangerous, Triumph, Destiny or Victory tour, but I think tour videos are mainly fan oriented. They are very rarely blockbusters.

Maybe not right now....

....but a full HD or 4K release of Thriller would be good. But it must include a remastered uncompressed stereo (original audio fully remastered) and either 5.1. and 7.1 (newly created soundtracks).

I would personally buy any MJ Blu Ray that's fully remastered. But the general public would probably only buy Thriller......and maybe Ghosts!

A new Dangerous tour DVD that features another city and playset. Have the rehearsals as bonus material.

One Night Only would be a good one too.

Musically, an album with music from the Invincible era to MJ's death would be good. Nothing from the post bad and Dangerous era. Save those for Dangerous 25 in 2016.

I personally would flip my lip with excitement if One Night Only came out. Even if for whatever reason they didn't have video footage and just made a documentary of people involved in the show, I'd take it. Haha. I am not the public (clearly.) :p

An album with his songs with will.I.am and RedOne ;) Everybody would like to know how this songs sound.

But I know it's very unlikely that that will happen :/

I dunno if it would be successful per-say, but attaching a newly restored, 3D version of THRILLER to another Sony 3d horror film could be cool.

If not that, maybe a standalone run with the short film PLUS the original MAKING OF, all re-stored. Obviously, Thriller being the only 3d part.

Then, stick that on a standalone Blu Ray.

It would be high time for Ghosts + Making of to get a proper release. I know it probably would not sell too well, because it's not known by the general public that much, but as a fan I'd like to have it properly released on DVD/Blue Ray. I'd definitely buy a box set with Thriller, Ghosts and the repsecive Makings of. And I'm sure they could still add some never before seen scenes (esp. from Ghosts).

As someone said, the songs made with Will.I.Am and RedOne. An album made up of songs he was actually working on for release before his death, completed to actually sound like songs Michael would of made and released and promoted as the album Michael was building up to release.

I think any album would be more successful than any dvd/blu ray release, as it appeals more to the casual fans. You'd have people buying the album, buying the songs themselves etc. A dvd/blu ray release would only really appeal to the hardcore fans such as us.

A digital release of a concert available for download through iTunes would be magnificent, accompanied by a blu ray release.

I don't think a concert release would be the most successful project they could do at the moment. The most successful would include capturing the public's attention on a grand scale too, not just the fanbase.

If Bad Wembley had come out as an HD release it might be different - after all it garnered media attention but surely it's quality put a lot of people off. And that being released already only serves to dampen any mass interest around another release of that nature. The time will come for another big concert release but I don't feel now is the time for it if we're talking mass attention.

Something with Thriller and 3D to me seems natural. It picked up a LOT of attention when rumours circulated last year. The foundation has been laid, not to go in and capitalise on it would be very Estate-like. lol.

None of the above reflects what I'd like to see released next, just to clarify on that.

Thriller? Yes, that's what we need! Another re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release of Thriller!

'Successful' is a very broad term.

The One Night Only rehearsals would be the most successful as far as fan enthusiasm is concerned - the D@m!en Sh!eld$ article really kick started interest in it. A Blu-ray remaster of a Victory, Bad or Dangerous tour show would also do quite well, as well as another album (my biggest choice).

As far as commercial success and the general public? The best option for them is to step away for a few years and let the general overkill of Michael Jackson products die down, then come back with something that blows us out of the water. Michael is experiencing the same post-death market over saturation that many before him have endured (Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, Tupac).

'Successful' is a very broad term.

The One Night Only rehearsals would be the most successful as far as fan enthusiasm is concerned - the D@m!en Sh!eld$ article really kick started interest in it. A Blu-ray remaster of a Victory, Bad or Dangerous tour show would also do quite well, as well as another album (my biggest choice).

As far as commercial success and the general public? The best option for them is to step away for a few years and let the general overkill of Michael Jackson products die down, then come back with something that blows us out of the water. Michael is experiencing the same post-death market over saturation that many before him have endured (Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, Tupac).

I was actually thinking about this the other day and I personally don't want another studio album to come out until maybe 2020 or even 2022. I'm not even kidding.

In the meanwhile there are other stuff that can be released like, concerts, anniversary albums, Greatest Hits album with full and unedited version of all the songs, rehearsals etc etc.

Thriller? Yes, that's what we need! Another re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release of Thriller!

In the context of my post I thought it was clear that I was referring to the short film which I don't believe has ever been 're-released' in the fashion the articles from last year appeared to suggest?

How many times has Making of Thriller been released since it was originally released in the 80s on VHS?

BAD World Tour in theaters with a superior audio mix, and visuals taken from the 16/35mm film negatives.. all scanned at 4k resolution! no restoring or color correction etc. if it has a lot of grain and scratches, then just leave it... unless it tears in some shots of course.

Over 9000

Really? I must have missed that.

To me it does not have to be some high-profile release, in this era of YouTube probably not many from the general public would buy it anyway, but I always found it a shame that

1) One of the most successful music videos of all times, the Making of Thriller has never been officially released on DVD/Blue-ray and it has never been re-released since its original VHS release in the 80s. In this era where everything gets remastered and restored and re-released how come this legandary video never has been?

2) Ghosts never got a proper release. Video CD? You must be kidding me! It needs to be put on DVD/Blue-ray.

It does not have to be some high profile project, it can be a quiet fan aimed release, but these need to be available on DVD/Blue-ray.

Last edited:
no restoring or color correction etc. if it has a lot of grain and scratches, then just leave it... unless it tears in some shots of course.

mZUjjYF.jpg

sLFJCdp.gif

Why on earth would you want to watch footage of Michael that is covered in scratches with faded colour?! That's completely ridiculous. If the colour has faded or there are scratches then YES there absolutely should be a restoration effort on them!! Why would you not want to present Michael in the most visually lush and crisp way possible with as few defects as possible?... You ask for a 'superior audio mix' yet you want the visual equivalent of a, say, hissy and crackly soundtrack? I don't even know why I'm having to actually argue this...

If further restoration can improve the image or audio in any way possible then it absolutely should be undertaken!

I see nobody mentioned Michael's performance for the Democratic party (2002?). I believe that performance has not been seen since.

Last edited:
It would be high time for Ghosts + Making of to get a proper release. I know it probably would not sell too well, because it's not known by the general public that much, but as a fan I'd like to have it properly released on DVD/Blue Ray. I'd definitely buy a box set with Thriller, Ghosts and the repsecive Makings of. And I'm sure they could still add some never before seen scenes (esp. from Ghosts).
I think this would do really well in the theatres, if they ran it for a limited release around Halloween. I'm amazed at the stats for Thriller sales every Halloween-this would be a great double bill.

And I'd love to see the HBO stuff (esp after that article) and the Jacksons tours!

I was actually thinking about this the other day and I personally don't want another studio album to come out until maybe 2020 or even 2022. I'm not even kidding.

I could definitely agree with what you're putting across here, but at the same time the most appealing thing to a mainstream audience is beyond a doubt Michael's unreleased music. The general public isn't all that interested in concerts or rehearsal footage - that's mostly for us. Not trying to knock such projects, but on a universal scale I'm sure an album is the wisest marketing move.

Although I'm not saying the HBO rehearsal footage shouldn't be released if they have a hold of it... *wink wink*

Bad Tour on Bluray any second leg concert

The Making Of Thriller Bluray

A definitive documentary on Michael like Marley

One Night Only as I know so little about it

Back