Early versions vs. Demos

Who'sBAD

Proud Member
I was in going to my dads, listening to the Captain EO rip of APOM when I realized that people called the rip the "DEMO". But it's not. It's time I pointed out the difference.

For it to be considered a demo, it has to go through tons of work to be a finished song. Take "Starlight" for example. Listen to that, then, listen to "Thriller". They both have the following differences:

*Instrumentation
*Lyrics
*Length

For it to be considered an early version, it has to have AT LEAST 50% of the early version to be exactly like the finished product. For example, APOM sounded much like the Captain EO in the following ways:

*Most instrumentation is correct
*Lyrics are the same

So there you go.

I've never heard anyone referring to APOM 1986 as a demo. I saw "Captain EO version" and "early version".

Very good points. Though, To me, the terms Demo Version and Early Version can go both ways. Like, the Demo Version could be what some may consider an Early Version with the song structure being close to the final and the lyrics nearly being there. An Early Version could be a song were the lyrics aren't fully complete and the song quite spare in instrumentation. I guess it depends on who's making them and who's listening to them. Heh...

Honestly, some of Michael's Demos/Early Versions could very well be the Final Versions.

What about the non-album songs, where you have nothing to compare to? Some are clearly at the demo stage, like In The Back or Fall Again. But it irks me when people call songs like Blue Gangsta or She Was Lovin Me demos, because, while arrangements could have been modified slightly, both vocally and musically they are pretty much complete songs.

I was in going to my dads, listening to the Captain EO rip of APOM when I realized that people called the rip the "DEMO". But it's not. It's time I pointed out the difference.

For it to be considered a demo, it has to go through tons of work to be a finished song. Take "Starlight" for example. Listen to that, then, listen to "Thriller". They both have the following differences:

*Instrumentation
*Lyrics
*Length

For it to be considered an early version, it has to have AT LEAST 50% of the early version to be exactly like the finished product. For example, APOM sounded much like the Captain EO in the following ways:

*Most instrumentation is correct
*Lyrics are the same

So there you go.

I think that a demo is the very basic, raw idea (rhythm) of the song whereas an early version is considered to be a more complete piece of work.

Both have to undergo a lot of changes & improvements (technically, musically & lyrically), thus for many people these two terms are interchangeable.

I think that a demo is the very basic, raw idea (rhythm) of the song whereas an early version is considered to be a more complete piece of work.

Both have to undergo a lot of changes & improvements (technically, musically & lyrically), thus for many people these two terms are interchangeable.

Yes, I do agree.

Back