The night's on you
What are you gonna do?

[CHORUS]
Sunset Driver
Midnight rider
Friday's brighter
Got to reach that driver
You're a Saturday nighter (aaw)

Well, you have to think back to that era (Off The Wall).
I've read that Off the wall was the ups and downs of partying.

This should be updated for a next posthumous album, imagine this Feat. Bruno Mars?

The stuff nightmares are made of.

Eh, just do what they did for LNFSG on Xscape (3 mixes, one new, one duet and the demo) and everybody's happy. I'm happy with Michaels solo version (I loooove this song so much) but I'd be interested in hearing ones with Bruno on it too, just gimme the original as well :D

What about his car crash? But that happened in 1980. He wrote the song in 79'.

Randy was the youngest brother and did not have the strict upbringing his five brothers had. Randy enjoyed more freedoms than his brothers experienced at his age. The song expresses Michael’s concern and warnings to his younger brother.

Did not know it was about Randy.

Others may feel differently.

I remember comments about Randy having much more freedom than his brothers and the timing of the song seems correct to me.

Just bumping this as I'm obsessed by this song currently, and can't believe it's taken me 12 years since TUC was released to really love it. It just passed me by.

For me, taking Invincible to one side, it is the only album where I have heard a track from the time that is better than a couple that did make the album. Cue Matty stating his case for Behind The Mask to be on Thriller ;)

Nothing else from Thriller to Dangerous offcuts deserves a place on the holiest of holys (a Michael Jackson solo album), but Sunset Driver does.

A perfect piece of soul-funk-disco that Off The Wall excelled at.

The da-da-da-da-da-da-da bits as he sings along with the keyboards slays me every time.

Just bumping this as I'm obsessed by this song currently, and can't believe it's taken me 12 years since TUC was released to really love it. It just passed me by.

For me, taking Invincible to one side, it is the only album where I have heard a track from the time that is better than a couple that did make the album. Cue Matty stating his case for Behind The Mask to be on Thriller ;)

Nothing else from Thriller to Dangerous offcuts deserves a place on the holiest of holys (a Michael Jackson solo album), but Sunset Driver does.

The da-da-da-da-da-da-da bits as he sings along with the keyboards slays me every time.
I listen to this almost as much as any other song from Off The Wall. Its the first solo example of MJ singing aggressively "The word is out that you're doin wrong!"

This is one of those songs that I can easily imagine with Thriller instrumentation and Bad instrumentation. Slow it down a bit, give it a beat like Dangerous or In the Closet and make it darker still.

I think Ive seen writings that Blood on the Dance Floor originally uses the first verse from Sunset Driver. Not too sure how true this is.

Also, anyone played this track on The Michael Jackson Experience on the XBox?? Unreal!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This is one of those songs that I can easily imagine with Thriller instrumentation and Bad instrumentation. Slow it down a bit, give it a beat like Dangerous or In the Closet and make it darker still.

Ooh, I like that. Yes I can see it...

I wonder what other earlier songs would have worked well on later works with that album's production style....????

Ooh, I like that. Yes I can see it...

I wonder what other earlier songs would have worked well on later works with that album's production style....????

Hot Street immediately comes to mind actually, beat lifted straight from Blood on the Dance Floor or Remember The Time

Hot Street immediately comes to mind actually, beat lifted straight from Blood on the Dance Floor or Remember The Time

I have absolutely no idea how Hot Street goes, one of those tracks alongside Fall Again, On The Line, In The Back that I heard once and never tried again.

A bit like black pudding.

One of his songs I particularly love to sing and move along to ...

Melody, Michael´s phrasing and pronounciation, instrumentation ... :dancin:

... and I will never ever be able to unhear "Friday Spider" lol

Seriously though, I love when that happens. Superfly Sister hit me like that one day years after its release. I was like damn! This right here is funky!

It took me a long time to warm up to Sunset Driver too. I didn't like it at first but now I love it. It's a fantastic piece of work. However, Off The Wall is a perfect album for me. I know many don't like Girlfriend and It's The Falling In Love but I love every single song on the album so I wouldn't swap any song with Sunset Driver no matter how brilliant and catchy it might be.

Yeah, I can't imagine swapping a single song from OTW tbh.

The only change I would've liked is replacing the album version of She's Out Of My Life with the gorgeous acoustic rendition released on the This Is It soundtrack back in 2009. That version was spine-tingling.

Yes, that acoustic version of SOOML is absolute heavenly. I wish MJ had done a concert where he performed just acoustic versions of some of his classics. That would have been epic. -

Yeah, I can't imagine swapping a single song from OTW tbh.

The only change I would've liked is replacing the album version of She's Out Of My Life with the gorgeous acoustic rendition released on the This Is It soundtrack back in 2009. That version was spine-tingling.

Yeah, its the only version I play now. MJs spine tingling voice and an acoustic guitar. Timeless and perfect.

And Matty, yes please check out SD again, think it'll be right up your (hot) street.

It's the same reason I love Much Too Soon, for its simplicity.

Yep, in terms of rereleases I'd like an stripped adult album like they did with young Michael.

Re-produced versions of the following, with the voice and guitar, violins where required etc.

Liberian Girl
Will You Be There
She's Out Of My Life
Smile
Little Susie
Speechless
Lady In My Life
IJCSLY
Heal The World
Stranger In Moscow

Not that I would change the originals in any way but would love these versions. Plus on stripped back records you always hear little nuances you may have previously missed.

That would be incredible.

I like your thinking Tony and it reminds me a little of when Paul McCartney released Let It Be... Naked. Something similar to that for MJ would be amazing.

I really hope there are some more stripped back demos tucked away gathering dust somewhere in the vault. Imagine Little Susie with just a piano arrangement or Liberian Girl accompanied by just a simple acoustic guitar.

We can but dream...

That would be perfection, think I'd call the album 'Strings of Pop'

Sort of works ;)

re-produced versions of the following, with the voice and guitar, violins where required etc.

Liberian girl
will you be there
she's out of my life
smile
little susie
speechless
lady in my life
ijcsly
heal the world
stranger in moscow

not that i would change the originals in any way but would love these versions. Plus on stripped back records you always hear little nuances you may have previously missed.

yes yes yessss!!!

(It won't let me do that all-caps, but please imagine it so :lol:)

Gave Sunset Driver a few listens earlier today. Yeah, it's not a bad little jam, but certainly not strong enough to contend with anything on the actual album imo. In terms of strong outtakes from his first two albums, Got The Hots is the best, other than obviously Behind The Mask, which is phenominal.

I love Sunset Driver. One of my favourite outtakes. I think it is better than It's The Falling In Love, Burn This Disco Out and Girlfriend.

Agree it's so funky and better than those. Love BTDO and would keep that.

I haven't listened to it in awhile, but I love the song. It's such a strong outtake, shame it was hidden on the TUC.

I would definitely take it over Girlfriend, Sunset Driver fits with sound of the record a lot more

I haven't listened to it in awhile, but I love the song. It's such a strong outtake, shame it was hidden on the TUC.

I would definitely take it over Girlfriend, Sunset Driver fits with sound of the record a lot more
If Girlfriend had the original middle eighth no, but it cuts the Wings-iest part of the song.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yep, in terms of rereleases I'd like an stripped adult album like they did with young Michael.

Re-produced versions of the following, with the voice and guitar, violins where required etc.

Liberian Girl
Will You Be There
She's Out Of My Life
Smile
Little Susie
Speechless
Lady In My Life
IJCSLY
Heal The World
Stranger In Moscow

Not that I would change the originals in any way but would love these versions. Plus on stripped back records you always hear little nuances you may have previously missed.
“required” 😅

Fantastic song indeed. Timeless. Strong, both lyrically and musically.

Back