Did the Rough cut of The Girl Is Mine turn into For All Time?

Zakk

Proud Member
As you can hear in the 1993 deposition that took place in Mexico City, a demo cassette of Michael's smash hit is played. As he harmonizes he interprets an extension of the song, that is similar to the chorus of 'For All Time' and he explains "that idea went off into a different direction" one can wonder but is their any chance in this or has this topic been doscussed in the past?

Sounds very interesting. I'm feeling lazy, though. Can you you add a YouTube link and timecode for said tape and quote?

If you watch the full 3 hour video, it's from 18 minutes in :cheeky: Sorry it won't let me link it.
Interesting thought Zakk I can see where you're coming from

I don't think it was inspiration for For All Time, because Michael Sherwood and Steve Porcaro wrote that track together (Michael has no co-writing credit).

Personally I don't really think it sounds similar to the chorus of For All Time either. It sounds more like an idea for a bridge than a chorus imo, especially the way it starts off.

It's so unfortunate that the most in-depth look at Michael's songwriting we ever got was a deposition video. Really a shame.. Fascinating to watch though.

I love Michael's I don't give a **** attitude in this when that guy is being an ass.

It's so unfortunate that the most in-depth look at Michael's songwriting we ever got was a deposition video. Really a shame.. Fascinating to watch though.
I one hundred percent agree with you. I played this last weekend, intending to watch for just a few minutes. Watched it all and then replayed it again. It's mesmerizing.

Back