Michael's last Moonwalk

Doggone

Proud Member
Maybe a stupid question...

But I was watching clips from This Is It again and it caught my attention that Michael didn't do the moonwalk on his rehearsal for Billie Jean.
Then I was thinking when did Michael do his ''last'' moonwalk actually? Was it at the concerts for this 30th anniversary at Madison Square Garden?

I really hope that he did the moonwalk for the This Is It rehearsal :unsure:

His moonwalk starts at 1:02

He does a small moonwalk near the end of Billie Jean during This Is It, right before the end dance part.

He did the moonwalk during Smooth Criminal, but the camera angle wasn't right

It's sad when you compare them. Michael is looking down at the stage the whole time in the MSG clip. There's a real disconnect there.

He did the moonwalk during Smooth Criminal, but the camera angle wasn't right

Oh thanks! I totally forgot about this one. Though, I still hope that he did a full moonwalk during the TII rehearsals...

That wasn't the last. He did it also during the end dance part during the 2nd concert. It wasn't shown on TV.

Around 0:35. That was his last moonwalk in concert.

You can really see a difference between the moonwalks as he got older...

It's sad when you compare them. Michael is looking down at the stage the whole time in the MSG clip. There's a real disconnect there.

Yeah but that's normal. He was much older when he did his moonwalks during the Thriller, Bad, Dangerous and HIStory era.

I can't believe that his last public concert was that long ago. And I am also SMH at the insane lights going all crazy around him.

Maybe a stupid question...

But I was watching clips from This Is It again and it caught my attention that Michael didn't do the moonwalk on his rehearsal for Billie Jean.
Then I was thinking when did Michael do his ''last'' moonwalk actually? Was it at the concerts for this 30th anniversary at Madison Square Garden?

I really hope that he did the moonwalk for the This Is It rehearsal :unsure:

His moonwalk starts at 1:02

Maybe, but he knows how to moonwalk. Since it was rehearsal, he just didn't need to do it there.

Also, he seemed to insist on performing with shades on, and probably didn't want to do the spin.

MSG was a mess, Michael was a mess. It's almost more sad to watch this than TII.
It's a shame that this damn concert is still shown again and again on TV, since it seems to be one of that few that TV stations have access / rights to.

What mind boggles me is how some fans say that Michael looked healthier during the 30th anniversary shows than what he did in This Is It. To me he looked a hell of a lot better in This Is It. In This Is It he looked like his old self again

You can really see a difference between the moonwalks as he got older...
Maybe Michael had become tired of doing the moonwalk in Billie Jean. Perhaps he still wanted to dance to Billie Jean but in a different way , and use the moonwalk in another song.
Michael was creative, I think he wanted to do new things but fans wanted him to do it as he used to

What mind boggles me is how some fans say that Michael looked healthier during the 30th anniversary shows than what he did in This Is It. To me he looked a hell of a lot better in This Is It. In This Is It he looked like his old self again

Well I can't particularly say that Michael looked good with This Is It. Some people involved with TII claim that he wasn't healthy at all. But comparing TII with MSG 30th anniversary I have to admit that Michael was more alive and had more energy with TII than MSG.

MSG was a mess, Michael was a mess. It's almost more sad to watch this than TII.
It's a shame that this damn concert is still shown again and again on TV, since it seems to be one of that few that TV stations have access / rights to.

I remember reading somewhere that Michael had to be convinced to do the MSG concerts. He didn't do them at all in first place. His mother convinced him to those shows. Maybe he was performing against his own will...? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

I think I read somewhere that MJ wanted to change the routine for BJ, but said he didn't think the fans would like it they wanted it to stay as it was. Maybe during TII we would have seen a new routine. He kept the first one secret from everybody!! He also supposed to have said he did not want to do BJ when he was 50

I think I read somewhere that MJ wanted to change the routine for BJ, but said he didn't think the fans would like it they wanted it to stay as it was. Maybe during TII we would have seen a new routine. He kept the first one secret from everybody!! He also supposed to have said he did not want to do BJ when he was 50

Agreed with all of this. In the 1999 TV Guide interview he talked about how he wanted to be more creative with the routine but that there was a lot of pressure to perform it a specific way. With what we saw in TII, I would have preferred to see that over the old one. Both are amazing, but he was so in the groove during the TII rehearsals. I remember being slackjawed when I first saw it, even though I was crying and heartbroken in the theater. It still wows me, and that was just an off-the-cuff jam.

I remember reading somewhere that Michael had to be convinced to do the MSG concerts. He didn't do them at all in first place. His mother convinced him to those shows. Maybe he was performing against his own will...? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Hm... as far as i read in Frank Cascios book (which i don't doubt in this matter) he and Michael (and David Guest?) came up with the idea for these concerts. Michael liked the concept to have other big artists perform his material (doing tribute to him). Maybe he changed his mind later... who knows. But I think the problem with his performance rather came from face surgery going not as he had wished and taking sedatives. Which made him feel all uncomfortable on stage. Of course that's speculation, but there are various indicators for this.

Regarding his mother... if she had to convince him of anything, it probably was the "reunion" on stage with his brothers for the show opening.

Last edited:
Yeah but that's normal. He was much older when he did his moonwalks during the Thriller, Bad, Dangerous and HIStory era.

I meant comparing the overall clips. Not the moonwalk. The moonwalk definitely got better over the years.

It's been too long since i last watched 'This Is It' i will need to make sometime very soon to watch it again!

I agree. I said back then that the show was good but not great and MJ kept putting his hand over the mic even his mouth was not the best (I said he looked like he had a bad botox shot over his top lip. MJ had a beautiful smile that I was attractive to along with his beautiful eyes). MSG was not his best but I did love the Reunion part and openings of both the Jacksons and MJ solo and when MJ did Billie Jean and Luther V and Usher.

I meant comparing the overall clips. Not the moonwalk. The moonwalk definitely got better over the years.

Bullshit. You can't say his moonwalk that he did in Bucharest during the Dangerous Tour was not better than his Moonwalk at his MSG concert...

MSG was not his best but I did love the Reunion part and openings of both the Jacksons and MJ solo and when MJ did Billie Jean and Luther V and Usher.

He rocked Can You Feel It! Damn... He still had it. You can feel his energy during that song.

It's because he is lip-syncing. He is trying to cover his mouth a lot. He performs a lot better in The Jacksons part where he is singing live.

Bullshit. You can't say his moonwalk that he did in Bucharest during the Dangerous Tour was not better than his Moonwalk at his MSG concert...

But In HIStory Tour Michael is lip-syncing, the duration of the moonwalk is controled by the playback. At Bucharest he can do the moonwalk as he like because it's controled by a kind of "solo guitar". But It's Sure that in Bucharest is better.

I have heard the reason for him covering his mouth a lot and looking down at the stage during MSG is because he had some sort of operation on his top lip and had a hole in his lip, that's what I've heard. It wasn't plastic surgery either, just an operation for something.

Also, his self confidence as far as looks go seem to have been extremely low at the time. His performances THRIVE on confidence. Just look at him on previous tours, strutting around the stage smiling, he was absolutely full of himself on stage. That wasn't there during 2001, you also see it on You Rock My World and his face wasn't shown much in that video.

It's very very sad, but I think true. 2 days before dying he seemed more alive than he did close to 10 years before.

All of that aside, the second show on the 10th is much better than the first show and I just wish we had a pro shot version of the entire show.

Calm down. Again, generally speaking, I feel the moonwalk was a craft that Michael finessed over the years. It became more fluid but with stronger edges.

It's because he is lip-syncing. He is trying to cover his mouth a lot.

Why do you need to close your eyes when covering your mouth? These two bodily functions perform independently of each other.

I have heard the reason for him covering his mouth a lot and looking down at the stage during MSG is because he had some sort of operation on his top lip and had a hole in his lip, that's what I've heard. It wasn't plastic surgery either, just an operation for something.

A hole? Sounds like tabloid trash. Why would there be a hole?? If its that big that he needs to cover it with the hand, you would be able to see that
on the photos of the time. He's also not covering his mouth (pretending to hold the mic) all the time in that concert. Just when he's supposed to move his lips to the music.

[speculation]

He obviously had some face "enhancements" done prior to these concerts. If he had botox injections in his upper lip, hitting a nerve (which can happen),
it would explain, why he didn't really seem to be in control of his upper lip. You can also see this when he's trying to smile. Sadly the nerves never seemed to have
fully recovered from that. His smile never looked the same again also in the following years.

[/speculation]

It's because he is lip-syncing. He is trying to cover his mouth a lot. He performs a lot better in The Jacksons part where he is singing live.

That could be a reason too. Next to the lip-problem & sedatives, maybe he just forgot all the lyrics. :D (which happened before)

A hole? Sounds like tabloid trash. Why would there be a hole?? If its that big that he needs to cover it with the hand, you would be able to see that
on the photos of the time. He's also not covering his mouth (pretending to hold the mic) all the time in that concert. Just when he's supposed to move his lips to the music.

[speculation]

He obviously had some face "enhancements" done prior to these concerts. If he had botox injections in his upper lip, hitting a nerve (which can happen),
it would explain, why he didn't really seem to be in control of his upper lip. You can also see this when he's trying to smile. Sadly the nerves never seemed to have
fully recovered from that. His smile never looked the same again also in the following years.

[/speculation]

A few people have said it on here in the past, about the hole I mean. There was something wrong with his upper lip either way.

A few people have said it on here in the past, about the hole I mean. There was something wrong with his upper lip either way.

I never in all the years heard anyone say this before.
It seems to be from the same category as the whole "his nose fell off" / "he had a nose prosthesis" sensational made up tabloid trash.
It doesn't make sense. Come on.

I never in all the years heard anyone say this before.
It seems to be from the same category as the whole "his nose fell off" / "he had a nose prosthesis" sensational made up tabloid trash.
It doesn't make sense. Come on.

I never said it was a massive hole that would be extremely noticeable, it is possible to have a slight hole there after an operation.

I have a Monroe piercing hole from 2007 that never fully closed that you can see when you look at my face and in photos. Just sayin'.

Back