VEVO removes comment sections from MJ videos on YouTube

HIStory

Proud Member
Now the comments for all MJ videos on the official VEVO channel are closed down. I guess there were too many haters and trolls.

Last time I checked it did not seem that bad actually. Yes, there were the usual trolls and haters but most comments were positive. Problem is that a few haters can rile up fans and then there is a back-and-forth and so negative troll comments get the most responses and thus end up on the top of the comment section.

I think disabling comments is letting the trolls/haters win.

I think disabling comments is letting the trolls/haters win.

I don't necessarily think so. I haven't checked the comments on YT recently so I don't know how bad the situation was. I think the problem is that many fans don't know when and how to ignore trolls. So they will keep responding to them and get into a back and forth with them which will only make those troll comments end up at the top of the comment section as the ones with the most replies.

Having said that, actually this is a trend now also on big news sites because the Internet is just full of sick people getting off on trolling. CNN used to allow commenting of their articles, but not any more. I have seen other news sites disabling their comment sections as well. Nobody has time for sick, racist, hateful trolls.

I've responded to a few trolls on youtube. The reason why I did this was because there are still a lot of people out there who are on the fence about Michael. So I responded in hopes that the people who are on the fence won't get swayed into thinking that all the bad things said about Michael are true.

For a number of years now has the YouTube comment section been known as a cesspool of bullshit and trolls. It doesn't really surprise me that Sony/The Estate shut down the comments especially with such a controversial topic as Michael Jackson.

I don't know why some people fell for the obvious trolls so badly, arguing with them for hours and hours and hours on end (especially the ones who were exceedingly obvious, using MJs mugshot for their pic and the username 'J.ackoThePedoKing423' or something absurd for their username).

It was all very childish really.

I can't be sure but I think they sometimes turn it off. I'm not too upset about it, I never read the comments on music videos anyway.

MJ haters hate with a passion. And people call us fans delusional when the haters drink in every word the tabloids feed them.

I think that's great. I didn't realize it was the number of responses that made the hateful ones rise to the top.
I admit the only place I've ever publicly commented has been YouTube and Yahoo. And that's rare.
But it's too bad too bc I used to learn interesting stuff in comments before I found this forum.

Bullshit. By doing this they let the trolls win. If they shut comments on MJ's vevo account they should do it on all vevo accounts. I'm not sure who controls the vevo accountS. But if it's just 1 organization, they should close the comment section on all vevo accounts...

Here is an article that CNN wrote about this tendency of more and more websites closing down their comment sections:

Online comments are on the way out.

Influential tech blog Re/code announced Thursday that it has shut off the comment forums on its story pages. Instead, the website is steering commenters to social media.

"We thought about this decision long and hard, since we do value reader opinion," co-executive editor Kara Swisher wrote. "But we concluded that, as social media has continued its robust growth, the bulk of discussion of our stories is increasingly taking place there, making onsite comments less and less used and less and less useful."

The announcement was just the latest in a recent wave of prominent websites removing or significantly scaling back their comment sections. Reuters, Popular Science and the Chicago Sun-Times have recently nixed comments.

Fairly or not, comment forums have gained a reputation as a haven for Internet trolls. Several of the sites that have banned comments noted the lack of civility in their decisions.

"As the news arm of a 141-year-old science and technology magazine, we are as committed to fostering lively, intellectual debate as we are to spreading the word of science far and wide," read a Popular Science post from last September. "The problem is when trolls and spambots overwhelm the former, diminishing our ability to do the latter."

Like Re/code, Reuters said social media was a factor when deciding to shut down most of its comments this month.

"Much of the well-informed and articulate discussion around news, as well as criticism or praise for stories, has moved to social media and online forums," a November 7 post read.

Other websites have opted to moderate comments more strictly rather than disable them altogether.

At the Gawker Media family of sites, which includes Gawker, Jezebel, Lifehacker, Deadspin and Gizmodo among others, most comments must be approved before appearing. The new system was rolled out after Jezebel's comment sections were flooded with animated GIFs of violent rape images.

"The mouth-breathing (expletive)s behind this deserve a reluctant congrats: A+ trolling job, many headaches induced, ruined a lot of peoples' days, etc.," Jezebel wrote in a post noting that the problem was being addressed. "You've given us a stunning example of just how unfathomably ugly the internet can be."

At CNN, comments on most stories were disabled in August. They are selectively activated on stories that editors feel have the potential for high-quality debate -- and when writers and editors can actively participate in and moderate those conversations.

Editors and moderators now regularly host discussions on CNN's Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Despite our best efforts to contain them, trolls are a persistent group and keep managing to slip through the gates.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/21/tech/web/online-comment-sections/

I guess something similar happened to Michael's VEVO account as well.

In one hand, I agree on removing the comments on Michael's vevo account. There are many sick people who have made f*cking with Michael and his fans an almost 24/7 occupation just for the sake of spreading bullshit because their irrational hatred is strong. It wouldn't surprise if the f*cktard Robson allies were some of the trolls behind creating multi accounts. On the other, fans and people who like Michael's music won't be able to praise his genius.

Hmmm, I think that disabling comments might be good for the long run for Michael's legacy. It gives complete focus to his music and film. If a new viewer watches the video and maybe genuinely wants to know why his skin is lighter than other videos, they won't go to the comment section barraged with racist comments, and they'll seek out more unbiased sources. (A simple Google search gives the answer outright) The same applies to freaking pedo comments, sick of seeing that BS. A Google search will lead to better information than the YouTube comments section.

It IS sad to not be able to see comments from around the world on his videos every day; it truly shows that his musical spirit lives on today. But again, for Michael's legacy as a whole, it seems to be the better option to disable them :(

Good to see this albeit a year too late. Comments should have been disabled when Xscape was released.

I'm not sure who controls the vevo accountS. But if it's just 1 organization, they should close the comment section on all vevo accounts...

Record label, i.e. Sony controls/owns MIchael's Vevo pages. They disabled comments for Cirque's tribute videos to Michael during Xscape as well.

this sucks big time, i'm totally against censoring . what happened to freedom of speech?:(

this sucks big time, i'm totally against censoring . what happened to freedom of speech?:(

I appreciate freedom of speech but, when it becomes speech that is disruptive to the lives others because some lack respect, I rather them just not allow anyone to comment. It's pretty sad because Sony shouldn't have to treat us like children that don't know how to sit down and mind our manners, but the negative actions of few tend to ruin things for many.

I have noticed a lot of news websites I read don't have comment sections anymore. It's really unbelievable what people say when they're anonymous.

^What many of them use is not freedom of expression anymore. They shield themselves in that privilege mentioned beforehand and anonymity to commit downright aggression and cyberbullyig.

^What many of them use is not freedom of expression anymore. They shield themselves in that privilege mentioned beforehand and anonymity to commit downright aggression and cyberbullyig.

And BTW, much of the media too are guilty of abusing freedom of speech. They used this to bully Michael and spread ugly lies about him, among others. Then they hid behind freedom of speech and the shield law. That's why I do not idolize so called freedom of speech above everything else. Because often it's really just the freedom to abuse.

And BTW, much of the media too are guilty of abusing freedom of speech. They used this to bully Michael and spread ugly lies about him, among others. .
Thats why I laugh when I see morning news shows decry "bullying" when they've been practicing it for years.
Hypocrites.

^^^As long as Michael provides them morbid entertainment, it's ok to torture and vilify him in a global scale because after all, he was not considered a human being. Bunch of hypocritical bastards!

It's a shame, but Michael has such a massive amount of haters who latch onto him to alleviate how pathetic their own lives are by bashing him. Still... closing the comments takes away being able to express enjoyment of the videos. Catch 22.

Just reading some of the comments on the news about the sale of Neverland or Paris attending the opening of a musical today, convinced me this was the right move.
Ugly people out there.

Just reading some of the comments on the news about the sale of Neverland or Paris attending the opening of a musical today, convinced me this was the right move.
Ugly people out there.

I read the top comments on Daily Mail for Neverland and the majority of them were surprisingly positive of Michael.

HIStoric;4091988 said:
I read the top comments on Daily Mail for Neverland and the majority of them were surprisingly positive of Michael.

I think the word ‘infamous’ is still a sign of their prejudice against MJ…

mj_frenzy;4092261 said:
I think the word ‘infamous’ is still a sign of their prejudice against MJ…

Yeah well I was focusing on the commenters, not the actual twats themselves :p

HIStoric;4092262 said:
Yeah well I was focusing on the commenters, not the actual twats themselves :p

A lot of these comments are too harsh & ironic. But, at the same time, it does not surprise me that this specific tabloid has not removed them yet…

mj_frenzy;4092264 said:
A lot of these comments are too harsh & ironic. But, at the same time, it does not surprise me that this specific tabloid has not removed them yet…

Well of course you're always going to have comments that aren't in MJs favour, especially with the kind of hugely polarising figure he was. All I was saying was that I noticed many positive comments were heavily upvoted in the comments, that's all :)

Back