New The Weeknd inspired by Michael

speeddemon88

Proud Member
Not sure whether this was already posted but, the new single from The Weeknd has a lot of similarities to Michaels songs, especially from Dont stop till you get enough, Billie Jean or beatboxing like from Blood on the dancefloor.

I personally really like it, its great to see artists still getting inspired by the King. Its refreshing and the song is really catchy too :)

Not sure whether this was already posted but, the new single from The Weeknd has a lot of similarities to Michaels songs, especially from Dont stop till you get enough, Billie Jean or beatboxing like from Blood on the dancefloor.

I personally really like it, its great to see artists still getting inspired by the King. Its refreshing and the song is really catchy too :)

I saw him perform this for the first time at that Apple conference a week or so back. Soooooo goood!! I love The Weeknd :D

Wow, thanks for bringing this song to my attention! Been listening to it non-stop for hours now.. I have always wondered how a Max Martin/MJ collab would have sounded and I guess this is the closest thing we'll ever get..

Great, this is amazing. A million thanks for sharing. I've noticed a lot of artists have clearly channeled Michael more and more recently. Daft Punk & Pharrell (Get Lucky), Bruno Mars (everything he does, really, but most notably Moonshine & Uptown Funk), and Maroon 5 (Sugar). I'm sure there are a lot more I'm forgetting. And you're absolutely right about the BotDF influence here. A lot of people seem to dismiss his work from Dangerous onwards, and just focus on the 80's material, so it's great to see clear post-Dangerous influence on this song.

I loove the weeknd.
I've always knew of him, but never delved into his material.
He's only just now doing more poppy, radio friendly stuff. MOst of his work is dark, hipster, emo-r&b.

His other new song, THE HILLS, is soooo good and dark and unsettling.
This track is meant to be played loud in your car/good stereo/or headphones :D

Weeknd Stan here: And if you really want to dig in deep to his material, listen to his mixtapes: House Of Balloons, Thursday, and Echoes of Silence, his album Kiss Land as well. They are the polar-opposite of this, but they're still fantastic. Check out his track "In The Night" as well (leaked a month ago, may be hard to find, PM if interested) as it is very Slave To The Rhythm-esque subject matter-wise and has a nice MJ inspired melody.

Weeknd Stan here: And if you really want to dig in deep to his material, listen to his mixtapes: House Of Balloons, Thursday, and Echoes of Silence, his album Kiss Land as well. They are the polar-opposite of this, but they're still fantastic. Check out his track "In The Night" as well (leaked a month ago, may be hard to find, PM if interested) as it is very Slave To The Rhythm-esque subject matter-wise and has a nice MJ inspired melody.

Yup. I have 'Trilogy' on CD (essentially House of Balloons, Thursday and Echoes of Silence in one set) and I can confirm, excellent mixtapes :)

ZfBltbO.jpg

When Tesfaye went to Martin’s complex last fall to begin work, he set up in a wing where Marilyn Monroe used to live. Martin’s team presented Tesfaye with a selection of prewritten material, and he rejected it all. They worked from scratch instead, and the first song they wrote was ‘‘In the Night,’’ the new album’s most electric moment, a homage to and an updating of peak-era Michael Jackson.

<iframe class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-2dK0Fp1bik?wmode=direct" frameborder="0" id="yui-gen32" style="width: 509px; height: 310px;"></iframe>

In his dressing room before concerts, Tesfaye plays Jackson&#8217;s &#8216;&#8216;Off the Wall&#8217;&#8217; for energy. Musically, though, Tesfaye&#8217;s fixation with Jackson has often been obscured by foggy production and his reluctance to conform to conventional song structure. On his early recordings, he says, his producers &#8216;&#8216;would always try to structure it, make it more into a song, and I was always a punk: &#8216;I hate major chords. I hate structure. I want this song to be eight minutes long.&#8217; It would kill them.&#8217;&#8217; Jackson&#8217;s lessons seeped in, though. &#8216;&#8216;My head-space now is, I love choruses,&#8217;&#8217; Tesfaye says. &#8216;&#8216;A chorus is not easy.&#8217;&#8217;

Tesfaye (The Weeknd) was visibly (and uncharacteristically ) thrilled to relate the story of how he first met the legendary producer Quincy Jones. The two were at a club called Drai&#8217;s in Las Vegas, where Tesfaye performs frequently. The owner introduced him to Jones, 82 years old but still spry enough for the club. The two sat down next to each other. &#8216;&#8216;He knew about me,&#8217;&#8217; Tesfaye said, beaming. &#8216;&#8216;You couldn&#8217;t wipe the smile off my face.&#8217;&#8217;

Tesfaye says that when he was working in the studio with Martin, he often thought of how Jones and Michael Jackson had pushed each other to greatness. Jones was there for the three seminal Jackson solo albums &#8212; &#8216;&#8216;Off the Wall,&#8217;&#8217; &#8216;&#8216;Thriller&#8217;&#8217; and &#8216;&#8216;Bad&#8217;&#8217; &#8212; and when Jones and Jackson first worked together, each was already well established. But in Jones&#8217;s hands, Jackson transcended race and style and spun pop gold out of the darkest subject matter.

Sitting next to Jones, Tesfaye said, he resisted the urge to badger him for old stories. Instead, he recalled, it was Jones who had a question for him: &#8216;&#8216;What&#8217;s that one song, that more up-tempo song?&#8217;&#8217; He was asking about &#8216;&#8216;Can&#8217;t Feel My Face,&#8217;&#8217; which Tesfaye had performed earlier in the night.

&#8216;&#8216;Yeah, I used to make music like that,&#8217;&#8217; he told Tesfaye. &#8216;&#8216;Sounds good.&#8217;&#8217;

[video=youtube;3_c6uX_RU_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_c6uX_RU_s[/video]

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/m...o-the-biggest-pop-star-in-the-world.html?_r=3

The old man who threw the lighter is from THE HILLS video, too.
He's doing some sort of narrative thing in this era of his videos.
I think that the old man represents him leaving his underground scene and delving into this pop world and "selling out", so to speak (The Hills video is posted above).

The old man who threw the lighter is from THE HILLS video, too.
He's doing some sort of narrative thing in this era of his videos.
I think that the old man represents him leaving his underground scene and delving into this pop world and "selling out", so to speak (The Hills video is posted above).

Yup, you're onto it. Comment off Reddit: "The old guy is representative of max martin/mainstream music. In "The Hills" video Abel wanders into those girls' bedroom and meets the old man. The Hills is about Ariana Grande and Abel met Max Martin through recording Love Me Harder. Now Abel teams up with Max Martin and no one really cared about him until the old guy throw the fire (or the radio pop production) at Abel then the whole club dances kind of like how everyone is on The Weeknd train now"

Back