Documentary Michael Jackson: Life of an Icon

Doggone

Proud Member
I just watched the documentary Michael Jackson: Life Of An Icon. Damn I never cried like a little girl. But during the documentary I doubted the credibility on some points.

In the documentary some famous people, friends and family members appeared. Two people in the documentary caught my attention. David Gest and Randy Tarraborelli. I know that these 2 two were (good) friends of Michael. But how credible are they?

The documentary is good though. I liked it. I hope that this documentary will change some thoughts about Michael that the ignorant people have.

I just watched the documentary Michael Jackson: Life Of An Icon. Damn I never cried like a little girl. But during the documentary I doubted the credibility on some points.

In the documentary some famous people, friends and family members appeared. Two people in the documentary caught my attention. David Gest and Randy Tarraborelli. I know that these 2 two were (good) friends of Michael. But how credible are they?

The documentary is good though. I liked it. I hope that this documentary will change some thoughts about Michael that the ignorant people have.

There was one thing said by an individual during this documentary that was so real and true that I know it was overlooked time and time again

Taborelli was NOT a good friend of Michael not at all.
He exaggerated his connection to him by lightyears.

They met maybe a few times and that's it.

His book is a mix of facts and tabloid trash pretending that he was a fly on the wall and could recall entire conversations. Bullshit.

His book strongly insinuates that Michael was in loved with Jordan Chandler, he suggests that it's no big deal that Chandler didn't know Michael was uncircumcised, he fails to mention the 20 million demand the Chandlers made before they accused him etc.

He also completely ignores Michael's friendship with girls and says that he "slept with boys" ignoring that slept with all kinds of people not boys throughout his life.

He insinuates that Anthony Jackson, Michael's cousin who always spoke lovingly about him was somehow another of his "boys".

All in all Taborelli is just another leech who wanted to make money by using and abusing Michael.

As for David Gest they did hung out with each other. How close they were is unclear. As far as I know Gest never
betrayed him and always proclaimed his innocence and that he was into women not males.

You have to take everything Taraborrelli says or writes with a pinch of salt...

Last edited:
Tito was David friend and he got to know MJ on the side. MJ and David were never really "friends" even thought David likes to people to think so(like many others).

Btw, David is funny persona, but whatever he says, you have to take it with grain of salt. It is not :cheeky: true

David Gest said during an interview (when he was promoting his documentary) that MJ used to stay in his house (guest room). Judging by that short interview, someone could claim that they were really close.

Personally, I am not really sure:

Thanks for your reaction guys! I knew that some people weren't trustworthy. All though, I have to say that in the document Tarraborelli wasn't trashing Michael. He was praising him. And sometimes he should gave his opinion on some topics. But in general he was talking positively about Mike.

Tito was David friend and he got to know MJ on the side. MJ and David were never really "friends" even thought David likes to people to think so(like many others).

Btw, David is funny persona, but whatever he says, you have to take it with grain of salt. It is not :cheeky: true

One thing that caught my attention is that Gest said in the documentary that ''Michael went to Gest's house after the Motown 25 performance and told him he did the best performance of his life.''

I don't believe him. Michael admitted himself that he cried after the show because he wasn't satisfied at all with his performance.

Thanks for your reaction guys! I knew that some people weren't trustworthy. All though, I have to say that in the document Tarraborelli wasn't trashing Michael. He was praising him. And sometimes he should gave his opinion on some topics. But in general he was talking positively about Mike.

One thing that caught my attention is that Gest said in the documentary that ''Michael went to Gest's house after the Motown 25 performance and told him he did the best performance of his life.''

I don't believe him. Michael admitted himself that he cried after the show because he wasn't satisfied at all with his performance.

Didn't Michael say he wasn't satisfied until a young boy came up to him backstage/in the carpark and said it was amazing, cheering Michael up? It's possible he could've changed his opinion by the time he got to Gest's house, ya know, assuming Gest is telling the truth. I dunno if he is, he comes off a bit dodgy to me which is why I haven't watched the doco yet (and have no plans to do so).

does anyone remember when after mj died on mtv there was a show by david gest going over his fav mj music videos and every sentence began with "my friend michael jackson"

Rewatch it again

And it was something said by someone outside of the Jackson family
That's OK-once was enough for me, I think. Isn't this the doc that his mother said his "nose looked like a toothpick?"

David Gest was a rich kid that grew up in the same neighborhood as the Jacksons-he was best buds with Tito, not Michael. Later, he became a producer for TV specials-mainly one honoring Michael and Gregory Peck-Sophia Loren was a presenter, as well as Elizabeth, and a lot of famous people.
Later he produced the 30th Anniversary Special and that's where he met Liza Minnelli-they got married at this all-star wedding, and divorced like a year later. All the time they were married was about the reality show they were going to do, but they both alleged physical abuse and divorce. It was crazy, but I love Liza, so I was paying attention.

I will say this for him-he was supposedly helping Liza with her comeback-and she looked absolutely terrific after they got together.

Later on, he became some kind of UK celebrity darling doing the "I'm a celebrity-get me out of here" or "Big Brother" or both. They love him over there.

That's OK-once was enough for me, I think. Isn't this the doc that his mother said his "nose looked like a toothpick?"

David Gest was a rich kid that grew up in the same neighborhood as the Jacksons-he was best buds with Tito, not Michael. Later, he became a producer for TV specials-mainly one honoring Michael and Gregory Peck-Sophia Loren was a presenter, as well as Elizabeth, and a lot of famous people.
Later he produced the 30th Anniversary Special and that's where he met Liza Minnelli-they got married at this all-star wedding, and divorced like a year later. All the time they were married was about the reality show they were going to do, but they both alleged physical abuse and divorce. It was crazy, but I love Liza, so I was paying attention.

I will say this for him-he was supposedly helping Liza with her comeback-and she looked absolutely terrific after they got together.

Later on, he became some kind of UK celebrity darling doing the "I'm a celebrity-get me out of here" or "Big Brother" or both. They love him over there.

Girl, once was enough for me too! I wasn't going to watch it at all until I saw one of the promos for it via YouTube and David was being his usual, off the wall self (pun intended, lol), loudly proclaiming that Mike was "all about VAGINA", his crassness shocking and amusing me! That response had to do with the '05 trial and people assuming Mike was gay. I appreciate David having Mike's back, but damn, bahahahahahahaha!!

^^ha! I blocked that line from my memory. It's like when Dr. Klein told everybody he peed in a cup in front of everybody, thinking that would help Michael's image. Huh?? And everybody always thinks michael is the nut job.

I will say this-Michael himself was the symbol of real class.

^^ha! I blocked that line from my memory. It's like when Dr. Klein told everybody he peed in a cup in front of everybody, thinking that would help Michael's image. Huh?? And everybody always thinks michael is the nut job.

I will say this-Michael himself was the symbol of real class.

Amen to that! It brings to mind the truth Rev. Al Sharpton spoke to Mike's kids at his memorial, that there was nothing strange about him, just strange what he had to deal with.

^^I jumped up (while alone in my living room) and applauded Rev. Sharpton at that line.
Amen to that!!!!

As far as I remember Michael stopped being friends with that guy in 2003. What I don't know is if the way Liza and Gest ended up had something to do with it. They were friends but Michael was closer to Liza. So, "my friend Michael," BS!

I watched that documentary once too, it didn't say anything new to me. I took everything David Gest or JRT said with a pinch of salt because I don't need David telling me Michael was all about vaginas to believe he was not gay.

I correct myself regarding on the word friends. They were buddies.

Never had any desire to watch this documentary. Gest was another person (like Uri Gellar) who over exaggerated their friendship with MJ.

Jesus, does anyone remember the "interview" Uri Gellar did with a UK tabloid in 2001(ish) in which he was answering as Michael through himself?!?!

Gest probably was his friend but not as close as he makes out. Just my feeling. No proof and I could be wrong.

^^I jumped up (while alone in my living room) and applauded Rev. Sharpton at that line.
Amen to that!!!!

I was jumping up after the fact, because I was at work during Mike's memorial (my brother recorded it for me and I watched it later that evening). Mike isn't here to tell us who was or wasn't his friend, so I'm not going to make snap judgements about something I know nothing about, like others do. David was involved in Mike's life at some point and before the crazy fame he achieved, so there it is.

I think I remember from Frank Cascio's book that David Gest seemed to be around a lot on shopping trips with them and maybe a road trip together(not the one to Scotland)- but I guess that's opening up a whole other can of worms!

Bit of a strange documentary all-in-all. Surprised that they included things that I'd thought they'd rather gloss over but disappointed that it was virtually all talking heads. It was odd that when they talked about Motown 25 they didn't show any footage, just still photos. Made things feel like it was all done on a very tight budget.

^ William Van Valin's book also mentions that Gest and Liza Minelli called Michael on one occasion while Van Valin was there with Michael. They called him to announce their marriage to him and thank him to get them together. After hanging up Michael told Van Valin he did not think their marriage would last. LOL. This was around 2001-2002. So it seems Gest did have some kind of contact with Michael. (Which cannot be said about Taraborelli.)

This doc was useless. They didn't elaborate why he is innocent.

Why is it that noone ever made a doc about what the Chandlers and the Arvizos really did and say?
Noone ever talked about the Chandler-Schwarz phone call, the 20 million demand, Pellicano's interview with Jordan Chandler,
the similarities between Chandler's words during that phone call and Jordan's words to Dr. Garner, the reason why MJ was not arrested after the strip search, the contradictions between Sneddon's declaration and the Chandler's book. etc.

There is so much ammunition against the Chandlers not to mention the Arvizos how is it that noone puts all of that together and finally inform the public what really happened?

We have all these crappy one sided docs which make people believe he was guilty only focusing on the settlement and saying nothing about what happened in the 5 months before that.

Are they afraid that the Chandlers would sue them if they make them look guilty?

Well, Evan can't sue anybody since he's dead, and Jordan's remained estranged from his mother for almost two decades. June openly admitted during the 2005 trial she hadn't spoken to him in several years. There may still be some legal issues preventing a full disclosure; only the Estate would probably know for sure. Even if they did get it worked out, I'm fairly sure Jordan would stay away, and his uncle Ray would probably try to defend Evan and June.

Back