MJ's height?

peteymj

Proud Member
Most state he's 5'9.
However, I met Jermaine Jackson today (Forest Lawn), and he's listed at 6'1. In Mjs 30th anniversary special, he was shoulder-to-shoulder with Jermaine.
Yet, Ive seen him shoulder-to-shoulder with prodcuer David Gest (5'8), shoulder-to-shoulder with Lionel Ritchie (5'11).

Can someone clarify?

peteymj;4096252 said:
Most state he's 5'9.
However, I met Jermaine Jackson today (Forest Lawn), and he's listed at 6'1. In Mjs 30th anniversary special, he was shoulder-to-shoulder with Jermaine.
Yet, Ive seen him shoulder-to-shoulder with prodcuer David Gest (5'8), shoulder-to-shoulder with Lionel Ritchie (5'11).

Can someone clarify?

MJ’s height: 5’11

I always remember reports from people who were doing costumes saying he was 5'10" or a bit more. John landis' wife was one.
Don't people lose height as they get older?
I'm Michael's age and I've lost a few inches. I don't think I'm even 5'1" anymore.

I always remember reports from people who were doing costumes saying he was 5'10" or a bit more. John landis' wife was one.
Don't people lose height as they get older?
I'm Michael's age and I've lost a few inches. I don't think I'm even 5'1" anymore.

He could have been 5'10 with shoes on

I believe MJ is about 5'9 but 5'11 when wearing 2 inch boot heels, like I assume he was wearing when he had his mug shot and was measured at 5'11, for I do not believe one needs to take off their shoes when measured and photographed for those. I could be wrong.

He might land somewhere between 5'9 and 5'10... like so many of us who do not land exactly on a rounded height. I'm 5'4 and 3 quarters tall, so not quite 5'5. My son is 6'1 and 1/2 but for his driver's permit the gal said he had to pick one, either 6'1 or 6'2...so he picked 6'1.

Last edited:
I read more often than not that he was 5'9" but it is funny there are so may different accounts of something quite trivial....and again as someone else mentioned,he surely would have been a bit taller in his twenties to what he was at fifty.

I heard he was 178 cm which sounds about right. Apparently the average height for American males is 176 cm (source) so he was a bit taller than average :) Here in the Netherlands he would be considered a midget though (average height is 184 cm) :cheeky:

On the 30th anniversary concert though, he was shoulder-to-shoulder with Jermaine (6'1) during the jackson 5 performances. So I dont know. Im 5'8-5'9, so i just wanted to feel better about myself knowing michael was the same height as me

The coroner's report has him at 69 inches (5ft9). I'd go with that, height is supposed to be measured barefoot.

18999470760_b18a97c593_z.jpg

His Driver License from the 80's has him at 5ft9 too so it doesn't look to me like he'd started shrinking yet.

19001541749_1dcb7f90cd_z.jpg

The coroner's report also has him as being 16 pounds heavier at death than he was when he got his driver license.

It's true that people can lose height as they age though:

The tendency to become shorter occurs among all races and both sexes. Height loss is related to aging changes in the bones, muscles, and joints. People typically lose about 1 cm (0.4 inches) every 10 years after age 40. Height loss is even more rapid after age 70. You may lose a total of 1 to 3 inches in height as you age. You can help minimize loss of height by following a healthy diet, staying physically active, and preventing and treating bone loss (osteoporosis).

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003998.htm

It´s common you lose height when you get older but most patients I´ve met haven´t lost height at 50.
If you stand a little huddled when they measure your height you get a little shorter.
It also depends on your hair(for example afro hair)shoes and socks.

MIST;4096432 said:
It´s common you lose height when you get older but most patients I´ve met haven´t lost height at 50.
If you stand a little huddled when they measure your height you get a little shorter.
It also depends on your hair(for example afro hair)shoes and socks.

True,I put in my post the word "surely" when referring to the ageing process in regards to height when "possibly" would have been a better statement.

On the 30th anniversary concert though, he was shoulder-to-shoulder with Jermaine (6'1) during the jackson 5 performances. So I dont know. Im 5'8-5'9, so i just wanted to feel better about myself knowing michael was the same height as me

I haven't got the concert downloaded nor can I be bothered to watch the thing, but I google'd some images.

In this picture, which is a good comparison since they're directly next to each other, Michael has his head bent forward slightly and both their postures are relatively straight in this picture. Even if MJ raised his head slightly to a more upright position, it still shouldn't make him as tall as Jermaine. I think in addition you also have to remember that Michael was often performing a bit in front of Jermaine so he automatically looks a bit bigger than Jermaine when viewed from front on, probably alluding you into thinking Michael was bigger than he really was, perhaps?

The_Jacksons_Reunion_2001_12.jpg

I always think back to the Variety show days when I realized they had all grown up like overnight. For the first time they all looked about the same height. Jackie a bit taller.

Of course back then we were all wearing stacked platforms so they would look tall.

he's 5ft 9in barefoot... and 5ft 11in in his shoes when he was measured the day of the mug shot.. that's why the two numbers come up

Yeah, that's also what Wikipedia/Google and a few other places say. 175cm!

Yeah, that's the figure I was familiar with for years.

I believe MJ is about 5'9 but 5'11 when wearing 2 inch boot heels, like I assume he was wearing when he had his mug shot and was measured at 5'11, for I do not believe one needs to take off their shoes when measured and photographed for those. I could be wrong.

He might land somewhere between 5'9 and 5'10... like so many of us who do not land exactly on a rounded height. I'm 5'4 and 3 quarters tall, so not quite 5'5. My son is 6'1 and 1/2 but for his driver's permit the gal said he had to pick one, either 6'1 or 6'2...so he picked 6'1.

Barefooot, I'm the same, but when I jump into my uber high heels, as the ones in the pic below, I tower even Michael :p

hills.jpg

Now that the height q is settled, can we talk about his shoe size, anyone know that one? LOL We know he had big hands, what about his feet?

Them heels seem to call for a.......:she_devil:, but unfortunately I'm not big on whips. Leashes though are a whole different business and they got nothing to do with Lisha lol.

Anyways, before i derail the thread completely i betta shut up, take my naughty self out of here and engage in some proper female activities......:girl_knitting:

I was reading something today and they quoted "Moonwalker" and Michael says he's 5'10". Didn't think to look there. :)

Back