Kanye West Cherry picker - crane + Lights borrowed off Michael Jackson Blog post!

Eh, while he was one of the more notable for doing it, Michael wasn't the first or only artist to use a cherry picker at a concert.

Mick Jagger used one in 1981:
CWAmAsM.png

Freddie Mercury had done something similar at a concert that was for the shooting of a music video (1986).
freddie-mercury-queen.jpg

More recently, seems like Taylor Swift has done it:
ASBeNUo.jpg

and yes, Yeezy himself has used it a good few times as well (this is from 2011):
slide_20121_265472_large.jpg

and I'm sure there's more artists too (saw Bieber and of Tina Turner using them in my quick Google). Like I'm not saying Yeezy wasn't inspired by Michael for this but I feel like by saying 'borrowed off MJ', you're making it sound like he copied him when really it's not something completely unique to MJ.

Last edited:
Eh, while he was one of the more notable for doing it, Michael wasn't the first or only artist to use a cherry picker at a concert.

CWAmAsM.png

Freddie Mercury had done something similar at a concert that was for the shooting of a music video (1986).

ASBeNUo.jpg

and yes, Yeezy himself has used it a good few times as well (this is from 2011):

and I'm sure there's more artists too (saw Bieber and of Tina Turner using them in my quick Google). Like I'm not saying Yeezy wasn't inspired by Michael for this but I feel like by saying 'borrowed off MJ', you're making it sound like he copied him when really it's not something completely unique to MJ.

A friend of mine, who recently passed away did some of the costumes from your Freddy Mercury Photo - Wow - blast from the past.

The Mic Jagger one - it is a cherry picker. However, Kanye and Michael made it dramatic with lighting and wind machines etc

I'm sure that Kanye saw MJ ..... however, not sure if he picked the idea from Mick Jagger or Queen. He's even talked about his MJ influences. So, i'd say it was accurate to say that the idea was borrowed from MJ. Also - did you notice the lights? Have you seen the same idea done by MJ before? Both ideas inspired by Michael - I think AK's right - Michael made it famous and I think that's his point. However, each to there own. Thank you for the photographs :)

Thank you

CWAmAsM.png

ASBeNUo.jpg

Great post though - good research!

I'm sure that Kanye saw MJ ..... however, not sure if he picked the idea from Mick Jagger or Queen. He's even talked about his MJ influences. So, i'd say it was accurate to say that the idea was borrowed from MJ. Also - did you notice the lights? Have you seen the same idea done by MJ before? Both ideas inspired by Michael - I think AK's right - Michael made it famous and I think that's his point. However, each to there own. Thank you for the photographs :)

Thank you

Oh yeah, if he was influenced by an artist to do that, I'm pretty sure it'd be MJ (not that it's impossible to come up with the idea to go on a cherry picker without seeing MJ do it). I noticed the lights on Kanye's cherry picker in that 2011 picture yes, am yet to see last nights performance though :)

Whether Michael made it 'famous' though... I dunno. Like I know he's probably the most notable user of it but I don't think it's something he's well known for outside of his fans?? Like you know, the general public will see a toestand and they go "Ahh! Michael Jackson!" but they won't see a singer on a cherrypicker and go "Ahh! Michael Jackson!".

P.S. That's cool about your friend who did the clothes for FM!

Oh yeah, if he was influenced by an artist to do that, I'm pretty sure it'd be MJ (not that it's impossible to come up with the idea to go on a cherry picker without seeing MJ do it). I noticed the lights on Kanye's cherry picker in that 2011 picture yes, am yet to see last nights performance though :)

Whether Michael made it 'famous' though... I dunno. Like I know he's probably the most notable user of it but I don't think it's something he's well known for outside of his fans?? Like you know, the general public will see a toestand and they go "Ahh! Michael Jackson!" but they won't see a singer on a cherrypicker and go "Ahh! Michael Jackson!".

P.S. That's cool about your friend who did the clothes for FM!

Hi! I was snooping on Twitter last night and it was all Kanye and Michael Jackson! I was surprised because, like you - I think "toes" "moonwalk", grabbing oneself etc is know as "MJ"!

By the way, did you watch Kanye West's performance last night? Not my cup of tea at all. Maybe it's my age though :)

Hi! I was snooping on Twitter last night and it was all Kanye and Michael Jackson! I was surprised because, like you - I think "toes" "moonwalk", grabbing oneself etc is know as "MJ"!

By the way, did you watch Kanye West's performance last night? Not my cup of tea at all. Maybe it's my age though :)

I wasn't on Twitter at the time but searching 'kanye cherry picker' though (deliberately leaving out MJ to see if he'd come up anyway) only reveals a one or two MJ related tweets for me though. Who knows. As for having seen it, only a clip or two but I look forward to watching the rest later. :)

Was a cool thing to see, he went incredibly high!! I think it might have been an MJ influence, who knows. I loved the performance and this was one of the good points of it.

Was a cool thing to see, he went incredibly high!! I think it might have been an MJ influence, who knows. I loved the performance and this was one of the good points of it.

At what point does he go up there? ^_^

At what point does he go up there? ^_^

Ironically I think it was for Touch The Sky which was the in the last 5 songs. Really was a great set, I'd recommend watching it. Not as good as Coachella 2011, but still great nonetheless.

Back