Michael Jackson Live Apollo 2002 Analysis - A Night at the Apollo commentary - INTRODUCTION - PART 1

Not sure why this guy considers this performance and American Bandstand to be promotion for Invincible when MJ didn't perform a single track from the album and Invincible had been out for more than a year. I always wondered why MJ did these two shows. It's not like he was promoting anything.... perhaps it was as a favour to Bill Clinton and Dick Clark?

Not sure why this guy considers this performance and American Bandstand to be promotion for Invincible when MJ didn't perform a single track from the album and Invincible had been out for more than a year. I always wondered why MJ did these two shows. It's not like he was promoting anything.... perhaps it was as a favour to Bill Clinton and Dick Clark?

More than a year? Where did you get your information from, may I ask?

Described as a kind of promotion of Invincible because Invincible has not been out for "more than a year" at all!

It was released October 30, 2001 (just over 5 months). This show was 24th April 2002. The link is obvious I think.

This is a good timeline which may inform (of the situation at the time, with dates) It goes into good details about the fans relaunch of the album after the apollo shows too:

http://muzikfactorytwo.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/michael-jackson-sony-relationship-for_28.html

Take care!

More than a year? Where did you get your information from, may I ask?

Described as a kind of promotion of Invincible because Invincible has not been out for "more than a year" at all!

It was released October 30, 2001 (just over 5 months). This show was 24th April 2002. The link is obvious I think.

Sorry, my mistake.

As for the timeline above, I followed Invincible's release closely at the time and was personally at the fan demonstrations that Michael attended etc, so it's not really anything I didn't already know.

Some of the stuff in that timeline seems a little like fan speculation/fiction though. For example, what proof is there that Michael was told he was not allowed to perform new material from Invincible? As Michael owns the publishing rights to his own music, it doesn't even make any sense. How would Sony have the power to stop an artist who owns his own work from performing it?

Sorry, my mistake.

As for the timeline above, I followed Invincible's release closely at the time and was personally at the fan demonstrations that Michael attended etc, so it's not really anything I didn't already know.

Some of the stuff in that timeline seems a little like fan speculation/fiction though. For example, what proof is there that Michael was told he was not allowed to perform new material from Invincible? As Michael owns the publishing rights to his own music, it doesn't even make any sense. How would Sony have the power to stop an artist who owns his own work from performing it?

Don't know anything about that - just pointing out the correct timeline (you do have a point with that though, but not so interested in the commentary, more the correct dates, so you can ignore the rest).

All good. Take care :)

Watched the CSpan video-that girl's costume was definitely dangerous. Don't know why I never heard about this until many years later.

Always found it odd that the promotion (or lack there of) by Sony of invincible damaged sales badly- but Michael never once performed a new track at any of the TV tapings he did. Apollo, American Bandstand. I for one never believed that Sony "wouldnt let him" perform the songs. Michael just didnt want to do any of them. Lack of Invincible on TII setlist kind of backs this up for me. Other than Speechless/Threatened obviously

Get out with all these "reports" and "analysis" you know it's useless, especially as Anthony has seen this footage.

especially as Anthony has seen this footage.
Has he? Or did someone just tell him and now he's telling us?
The only one I thought was interesting and that maybe he saw was the MSG rehearsal and then he said he didn't think it should be released. Well, he seemed to enjoy it so wouldn't we? I love rehearsals. Crazy.

Always found it odd that the promotion (or lack there of) by Sony of invincible damaged sales badly- but Michael never once performed a new track at any of the TV tapings he did. Apollo, American Bandstand. I for one never believed that Sony "wouldnt let him" perform the songs. Michael just didnt want to do any of them. Lack of Invincible on TII setlist kind of backs this up for me. Other than Speechless/Threatened obviously

Exactly.

It always struck me that Michael was as disinterested in promoting Invincible as Sony were. I suppose you could argue that its difficult for an artist to promote an album with zero support from the label,, but as you rightly pointed out, even on the opportunities he did get to plug the album he chose not to.

Has he? Or did someone just tell him and now he's telling us?
The only one I thought was interesting and that maybe he saw was the MSG rehearsal and then he said he didn't think it should be released. Well, he seemed to enjoy it so wouldn't we? I love rehearsals. Crazy.

A fan's appetite is insatiable as we know, however, as a fan who understands what Michael was going through on that day and in that footage - I totally understand why he said it shouldn't be released.

I have seen this footage but (because I asked politely to be shown it). There were also many fans at the rehearsal! There are many people who went to the shows. Those people are not usually on the Michael Jackson fan forums (anymore, anyway!)

So, ask somebody that was there or ask somebody that filmed it to show it to you in the flesh. If you want to see any footage uploaded you can also ask the estate - I am sure one day, if they see fit, they'll release it.

Anthony isn't going to release anything, these videos are just a commentary for people who might be interested in that kind of thing, nothing else. You have to speak to other people if you want footage released. There are quite a few people who do have a lot of rare footage - but it is not their right to release it or leak it - why would anyone do that anyway? It's illegal and disrespectful.

However, I do own This is it on Blu ray, if anyone wants to borrow that. I enjoy his videos, which is why I post them here. Take care and i'll post the next one soon.

By the way - I watched the video above and he says that the show was broadcast via webcam live - does anyone a recording of this?

A fan's appetite is insatiable as we know, however, as a fan who understands what Michael was going through on that day and in that footage - I totally understand why he said it shouldn't be released.

I have seen this footage but (because I asked politely to be shown it). There were also many fans at the rehearsal! There are many people who went to the shows. Those people are not usually on the Michael Jackson fan forums (anymore, anyway!)

So, ask somebody that was there or ask somebody that filmed it to show it to you in the flesh. If you want to see any footage uploaded you can also ask the estate - I am sure one day, if they see fit, they'll release it.

Anthony isn't going to release anything, these videos are just a commentary for people who might be interested in that kind of thing, nothing else. You have to speak to other people if you want footage released. There are quite a few people who do have a lot of rare footage - but it is not their right to release it or leak it - why would anyone do that anyway? It's illegal and disrespectful.

However, I do own This is it on Blu ray, if anyone wants to borrow that. I enjoy his videos, which is why I post them here. Take care and i'll post the next one soon.

By the way - I watched the video above and he says that the show was broadcast via webcam live - does anyone a recording of this?

Scrap my last question gang :)

Michael's part wasn't broadcast and it was pay per view. You learn something everyday! LOL!

No. I'm definitely not asking Anthony to release anything. I don't care for this piracy stuff and watching YouTube is as illegal as I get.

I meant that he seemed so delighted in the rehearsal process himself but then said it shouldn't be released. As if no one should see it. I would think fans would be as delighted as him to see that creative process and I'd love the estate to get their hands on it and use it for a doc.

I thought TII was great. It's the Michael I like to see.

I watch those Dangerous rehearsals all the time on YouTube (probably illegal). The tour itself. Not so much.

No. I'm definitely not asking Anthony to release anything. I don't care for this piracy stuff and watching YouTube is as illegal as I get.

I meant that he seemed so delighted in the rehearsal process himself but then said it shouldn't be released. As if no one should see it. I would think fans would be as delighted as him to see that creative process and I'd love the estate to get their hands on it and use it for a doc.

I thought TII was great. It's the Michael I like to see.

I watch those Dangerous rehearsals all the time on YouTube (probably illegal). The tour itself. Not so much.

Michael was so sweet in those rehearsals and i'm with you because I think I watch them on youtube more than the show too. I thought I was the only one! I wish the estate would release more of those shows and rehearsals. I think they will one day.

Both sweet and very funny. It's fantastic to see him truly in his element.
I hope they do too.

Last edited:
Back