Psychoniff

Proud Member
Be Not Always
Scared Of The Moon
Childhood
Little Susie
Much Too Soon
Earth Song

GUYS I REALISE I ACCIDENTLY MIXED THINGS UP A LITTLE! I WAS MEANT TO MAKE A LIST OF ALL HIS OPERATIC POP SONGS, HOWEVER I PUT MUCH TOO SOON THERE, BUT COULDN'T CHANGE THE TITLE ONCE I PRESSED THE SAVE BUTTON.

Last edited:
Is this just a thread to 'list' the "Operatic pop" :smilerolleyes: songs?
Are you willing to discuss WHY you think these songs made it to that list after all?

I agree they 'seem' mellow. Discuss Please :yes:

Is this just a thread to 'list' the "Operatic pop" :smilerolleyes: songs?
Are you willing to discuss WHY you think these songs made it to that list after all?

I agree they 'seem' mellow. Discuss Please :yes:

Yes they are mellow.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of these threads you started. So there's genre in the thread title and then there's the list of songs?

I think of Operatic pop as being dramatic, theatrical and grandiose, not mellow.

Little Susie for sure.
Maybe Will you Be There.
Earth Song.

I think of Operatic pop as being dramatic, theatrical and grandiose, not mellow.

Yes, that's what I'd rather call operatic pop instead of songs that are mellow. Although the definition I liked above from Wikipedia seems to call something else operatic pop. Rather opera influenced pop music, it seems. But if we go with the dramatic, theatrical, grandiose definition then definitely Earth Song is the first that would come to my mind.

I'd also say Heartbreak Hotel, perhaps even Man in the Mirror. I also agree that Little Susie and Will You Be There could be put there. Also perhaps Can You Feel It.

I think Respect77 hit the nail on the head there.

This thread is also hilarious.

InvincibleTal;4097977 said:
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of these threads you started. So there's genre in the thread title and then there's the list of songs?

Correct! The songs are not just Operatic but they do show a side that no one outside the fan community want to see.

barbee0715;4097986 said:

Little Susie for sure.
Maybe Will you Be There.
Earth Song.

Yes!!! Definitely Earth Song. Will You Be There is clearly Gospel-infused not really sung in that trade mark Opera style.

respect77;4097989 said:
Yes, that's what I'd rather call operatic pop instead of songs that are mellow. Although the definition I liked above from Wikipedia seems to call something else operatic pop. Rather opera influenced pop music, it seems. But if we go with the dramatic, theatrical, grandiose definition then definitely Earth Song is the first that would come to my mind.

I'd also say Heartbreak Hotel, perhaps even Man in the Mirror. I also agree that Little Susie and Will You Be There could be put there. Also perhaps Can You Feel It.

Heartbreak Hotel is definitely NOT a operatic song.

mj_frenzy;4097998 said:
‘Keep the Faith’ has an operatic pop aura/style.

That's gospel

Last edited by a moderator:
Your definition for what is "operatic" seems quiet arbitrary. Heck, you even refuse to give a definition other than repeating "mellow songs". Mellow =/= operatic.

Mod note: Use the Multiquote button (far right) to reply to more than one post.

YANA, clearly

mike-you-are-not-alone-o.gif

What Wikipedia defines it as.

Then I don't really think Michael had any operatic pop song.

Operatic pop or popera is a subgenre of pop music that is performed in an operatic singing style, or a song, theme or motif from classical music stylized as pop. According to music historians, operatic pop songs became most prevalent with the rise of Tin Pan Alley musicians during the early 1900s.[SUP][1][/SUP] One influence was the large influx of Italian immigrants to the United States who popularized singers such as Enrico Caruso and inspired the creation of "novelty songs" using Italian dialect. The songs often used operatic repertory "to make a satirical or topical point."[SUP][1][/SUP] Popularized by American Vaudeville, musical comedies, jazz and operettas, examples include Irving Berlin's That Opera Rag, Billy Murray's My Cousin Carusoand Louis Armstrong's riffs on Rigoletto and Pagliacci.[SUP][1][/SUP] The subgenre subsequently dwindled after the 1920s but revived during the rock music era with albums such as The Who's Tommy and Queen's A Night at The Opera.[SUP][1][/SUP]

^"This is the Night" from 'Lady and the Tramp" fits that definition. No Michael songs, that I can think of.

But this is the same Wikipedia that classifies "Childhood" as an operatic pop song.

Maybe Childhood, maybe. With a little imagination. To me it sounds more like a show tune.

(BTW, wasn't it Wikipedia that classified Heal the World soft rock? LOL.)

You do realize different Wikipedia articles are written by different people, right?

Just a question, but what would everyone consider Little Susie genre wise?

Back