Listen To Me Marlon

joanna48

Proud Member
Donations
$10.00
I have just read about a new documentary on Marlon Brando called " Listen To Me Marlon". The film maker used a collection of tapes that the family of Marlon Brando found in his house after his death. One tape he mentioned was a three hour conversation that Marlon had with Michael. I would love to hear that! Has anyone seen this documentary yet?

This is what the director says about it:

How did you discover Brando’s audiotapes?One of my first questions was, “Have we got any archives? What have we got?” They said we had access to a lot. There were boxes and boxes and boxes that had all been in storage for 10 years. At the same time that they were thinking about a documentary, they were archiving these boxes. Things were coming out — reams of documents. It was almost overwhelming. I’m like, “Oh my god, there’s actually a lot of stuff here. How on earth do I ever get through it?”
I set myself a year to finish the film. My wage doesn’t double if the timespan doubles. That was the production period once we got the financing. We knew there were tapes. I said, “Well, can I listen to them?” The Library had only digitized about seven or eight hours, so I had those initially. By lovely coincidence, they happened to be really important tapes. There was a three-hour discussion that Brando had with Michael Jackson, which involved a lot of family history. There were some self-hypnosis tracks, from which the title, paraphrased from some of the stuff he’d say to himself. In most of the tapes, he was either addressing himself or an audience. I chopped out all of the other voices that he was speaking to. I used that material in my pitch for finance approval from the estate.

Read more at http://nonfics.com/steven-riley-interview/#1osLCZUDwfsIkoHl.99
[/QUOTE]

Did the estate know how much audio was going to be available?No, not really. They were finding out as we were. At the same time they were saying, let’s do a documentary, there was this question of let’s sort the entire house out and get the estate in shape and protect his legacy. Which involved unpacking all the boxes that had been in storage for ten years.
There were boxes and boxes of his documentation, things that aren’t in the documentary that I had to go through. There were photos. Personal videos. If anything there was too much. I was saying: can we just unpack everything, can we get everything out? Can we label it like this so I can use it in the edit? I wanted to make sure that everything that came out was trackable. It was very tantalizing because the first few tapes I did have happened to be really interesting. One was an in-depth conversation he had with Michael Jackson for three hours. In the documentary I chop out every voice he’s talking to, so it feels like he’s addressing himself or the audience. That was a decision to contain it all in that house, in his head. As tempting as it was to introduce conversation with Scorsese, or Coppola, or Michael Jackson . . .

http://www.vogue.com/13289468/listen-to-me-marlon-stevan-riley/

Back