Hayvenhurst Could Be Opened to Tourists

CherubimII

Proud Member
Michael Jackson's Estate Could Turn Into A Tourist Attraction! Find Out What Hit Songs He Recorded In This Home Studio!

8/04/2015 2:07 PM ET | Filed under: Music MinuteMichael Jackson
<iframe name="f21861c404" width="90px" height="1000px" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no" title="fb:like Facebook Social Plugin" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?action=like&app_id=519028218124180&channel=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2F4B2NplaqNF3.js%3Fversion%3D41%23cb%3Df5da1cd3%26domain%3Dperezhilton.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fperezhilton.com%252Ff5980262c%26relation%3Dparent.parent&container_width=0&font=arial&href=http%3A%2F%2Fperezhilton.com%2F2015-08-04-michael-jackson-encino-home-tourist-attraction-estate&layout=button_count&locale=en_US&ref=.VcFinD-k3sk.like&sdk=joey&send=false&share=false&show_faces=false&width=90" class="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; border-width: initial; vertical-align: baseline; position: absolute; visibility: visible; width: 76px; height: 20px;"></iframe>
michael-jackson-recording-studio.gif

Tourists might no longer have to Beat It when visiting Michael Jackson's Estate!

It's been reported that the people who run the estate of the King of Pop are debating opening up the family home to the public!

Sources say that the Estate is considering the idea of Hollywood tour buses and individual tourists taking a room-by-room tour of his abode!

MJ originally bought the Encino, CA residence for his family, and he then tore it down to rebuild the residence with a recording studio — where the pop icon recorded his biggest hits, like Billie Jean, We Are the World, Beat It, and Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough!

No plans are set in stone at the moment, as the Estate is checking to see if zoning laws would allow the property to become an attraction.

While the neighbors probably aren't jumping for joy over this possibility, we're suretourists and fans of the pop legend will be lining up around the block!

http://perezhilton.com/2015-08-04-michael-jackson-encino-home-tourist-attraction-estate

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this is the best news I've heard in a LONG time and this is what I have been hoping for at least five years-or when Ms. Jackson made it clear that she wanted to move to Calabasas. I can not think of a more perfect place to be a Michael Jackson museum and to hold his memorabilia than Hayvenhurst-especially since I (and probably everybody else) have been totally transfixed with it since Michael tore it down after Off the Wall and built his own Enchanted Disney castle.
Every time I see a picture of it, or film of it, or an interview there, it just screams Michael. I'm thrilled.

It's close to LA, there are already tour buses on the streets, neighbors are used to having girls camped at the gates since 1971 and at one time the city of LA gave Michael all sorts of permits to have exotic animals there-so I don't see why the city would give them that much grief about it.

I really hope this is a serious story, and not somebody's rumour.

I've always loved Hayvenhurst but my only beef with this is the fact that the Studio, still has tapes to my knowledge.

I've always loved Hayvenhurst but my only beef with this is the fact that the Studio, still has tapes to my knowledge.
Do you mean that could get stolen? McClain would arrange for those to be moved. They could do all sorts of things there-have music workshops in the studio with people like Matt Forger, family members could give tours-we could finally have all of Michael's things in one place. It would be lovely.

I don't see it as a Graceland though-I want Forest Lawn to stay as is.

Yes, I'm sure the precious multi track tapes of Michael Jackson recordings are kept in view and easily accessible for anyone to take and walk away with.

I say why not. There is no taint and no scandal associated with Hayvenhurst, like what was done to Michael's "Neverland," which will never have the sufficient zoning laws anyways. Hayvenhurst is pretty much where it all began. It does tie things in with his family, so maybe Randy won't be tempted to sell nasty stories to the tabloids cause he'll figure something out, just like dear ol' Dad has always done, do the hustle!

If you can't feed your baby (yeah, yeah)
Then don't have a baby (yeah, yeah)
And don't think maybe (yeah, yeah)
If you can't feed your baby (yeah, yeah)
You'll be always tryin'
To stop that child from cryin'
Hustlin', stealin', lyin'
Now baby's slowly dyin'

Read more: Michael Jackson - Gonna Be Startin' Somethin' Lyrics | MetroLyrics

maybe its the age iam but hayverhurst doesnt mean anything to me. it the families home not mjs. but i dont blame them for thinking about making money off it seeing as they have to pay for the new house and for that one as well so the family have a place for functions!

^^Thats a good point. It's probably the age I am that makes me so attached to Hayvenhurst. I remember like yesterday when he used his Off the Wall money to buy the house from his dad and demolished it to create a not only a gorgeous home, but a fantastical fairy palace of his dreams.
So it's not the house the family grew up in, but still has the family connection. I can pull up film clips of him there on YouTube and reminisce how proud and happy he was at that time.
I didn't realize I was so attached to Hayvenhurst and its memory until they talked about selling it. I thought about writing a letter to the estate then to consider using it for a museum. When they announced the Neverland sale, I was a little sad, but fine with it. It had been ruined anyway.

Anyway, I hope they can get the proper permits.

This would be AMAZING. I don't care how much it cost, I'd book the first flight there and be waiting behind the gates for them to open. :punk:

If Havenhurst opens up for touristsm I wanna be one of them.

Please be 'advised' that ANY TMZ articles are NOT allowed on MJJCommunity, thanks!

CherubimII;4102649 said:
Michael Jackson's Estate Could Turn Into A Tourist Attraction! Find Out What Hit Songs He Recorded In This Home Studio!

8/04/2015 2:07 PM ET | Filed under: Music Minute &#8226; Michael Jackson
<iframe name="f21861c404" width="90px" height="1000px" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no" title="fb:like Facebook Social Plugin" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?action=like&app_id=519028218124180&channel=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2F4B2NplaqNF3.js%3Fversion%3D41%23cb%3Df5da1cd3%26domain%3Dperezhilton.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fperezhilton.com%252Ff5980262c%26relation%3Dparent.parent&container_width=0&font=arial&href=http%3A%2F%2Fperezhilton.com%2F2015-08-04-michael-jackson-encino-home-tourist-attraction-estate&layout=button_count&locale=en_US&ref=.VcFinD-k3sk.like&sdk=joey&send=false&share=false&show_faces=false&width=90" class="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; border-width: initial; vertical-align: baseline; position: absolute; visibility: visible; width: 76px; height: 20px;"></iframe>

Tourists might no longer have to Beat It when visiting Michael Jackson's Estate!

It's been reported that the people who run the estate of the King of Pop are debating opening up the family home to the public!

Sources say that the Estate is considering the idea of Hollywood tour buses and individual tourists taking a room-by-room tour of his abode!

MJ originally bought the Encino, CA residence for his family, and he then tore it down to rebuild the residence with a recording studio &#8212; where the pop icon recorded his biggest hits, like Billie Jean, We Are the World, Beat It, and
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough!

No plans are set in stone at the moment, as the Estate is checking to see if zoning laws would allow the property to become an attraction.

While the neighbors probably aren't jumping for joy over this possibility, we're suretourists and fans of the pop legend will be lining up around the block!

http://perezhilton.com/2015-08-04-michael-jackson-encino-home-tourist-attraction-estate

Wasn't DSTYGE released before he bought Hayvenhurst? - I thought he bought it after OTW was released?

Meanwhile neighbors are happy over Elvis Presley's estate as a tourist attracction, right?

the idea of MJ having a tourist attraction has always bothered the press, afraid that it will overshadow Elvis Presley's estate as a tourist attraction.

Meanwhile neighbors are happy over Elvis Presley's estate as a tourist attracction, right?

the idea of MJ having a tourist attraction has always bothered the press, afraid that it will overshadow Elvis Presley's estate as a tourist attraction.

A quick glance at both properties on Google Maps shows that Hayvenhurst is way more residentially crowded and tight-spaced than Graceland and it's surrounding areas. I can definitely see the concerns of residents for Hayvenhurst.

maybe its the age iam but hayverhurst doesnt mean anything to me. it the families home not mjs. but i dont blame them for thinking about making money off it seeing as they have to pay for the new house and for that one as well so the family have a place for functions!

I'm not feeling it either:-(
To me Havenhurst was family home in which MJ made some changes to it, but Neverland is/was completely all Michael (only).

I personally don't know about the situation of it and how will it work as museum, but then again wasn't Motown in the middle of Detroit suburbs?

I'm still holding out the hope about virtual museum that the estate mentioned in their accounting papers.

I think this could be fantastic if done well. Given that he lived there during his teenage years and early adulthood, including at the height of his fame, I think Hayvenhurst is a place of major importance in Michael's history. He not only lived there for a long period of time but also composed and created so many songs here. And the renovations he made to the house were a precursor to what he would do with Neverland at a larger scale later on.

Having passed by Hayvenhurst a few years ago, I am not sure if the location is suitable for this to be a (relatively) big tourist attraction, but if not they could I guess use a booking system to get a limited amount of people at a time to show up.

If it happens I hope they take cues from other places like this. It should be more than a tour through a nice house with some objects on display. I don't know how much work has been done to the house since Michael left. Graceland has a few rooms still in the state Elvis left it in when he passed, which makes for a very authentic historic experience. That of course would not be possible here, but they can still give people that feeling by using old pictures, videos and stories. Show photos next to the places where they were taken - e.g. if there is a picture of Michael and LaToya posing in the hallway, hang it there. If there is a photo of the family sitting at the dinner table, show that there. They could show the unauthorized interview on a screen outside next to the fountain, give people the opportunity to listen to the 1980 John Pidgeon interview in the place that it happened, and so on. Share anecdotes about how fans would be waiting outside the gate all the time trying to catch a glimpse of Michael. Stuff like that makes the place come alive for people and gives them the feeling they really are in a historic location.

It is also a great opportunity to teach people about Michael and give them an insight into what his life was like, what his hopes and dreams were at the time he was living there. Collect footage, soundbytes and notes that refer to this time and put them on display. Think of the 1979 note Karen Langford showed after his death in which he laid out his plans and ambitions for the future, for instance. They could show lyric sheets of some of the songs he wrote here. I think seeing a handwritten note with early lyrics of, for instance, Billie Jean on display in the room where he wrote it would even be very special for people who are not big fans: that's pop music history right there. Another part of the 'experience' could focus on the renovations he made to the house and his ideas behind it, and how this was in some ways an early prototype for what Neverland would become later on.

The studio would be a great place to teach people more about how he worked. Get people like Matt Forger, who worked at Hayvenhurst for hours and hours with Michael, to talk about his creative process. Tell people how he composed songs, and how he transformed the ideas in his head into the songs we know. At the Mountain Studios in Montreux, which were owned by Queen and where they recorded several records, you can sit behind a replica of the original mixing desk and play around with multitracks of their recordings. They could do something similar here, and/or play demos in the state they were at when he recorded them at Hayvenhurst. Perhaps they can find session tapes of Michael working on songs (we know a tape where he is working with Lionel on We Are The World exists for sure). Imagine listening to Michael talk with his engineers and singing songs while you are standing at the exact place it happened 30 or so years ago?

I think the possibilities are endless and if done well, with a focus on teaching people about Michael, this could be great. Not just for us fans as a special place to visit, but also for people who are interested in Michael but not really fans. If done with genuine care and heart and soul, I really think a place like this could be a major factor in correcting the often inaccurate perceptions people have of Michael as a person and artist, and be a huge contribution to the preservation of his legacy.

Please be 'advised' that ANY TMZ articles are NOT allowed on MJJCommunity, thanks!

Is this a new rule? and other tabloids like Radar Online are allowed or ohter tabloids like the Perez Hilton who just copypasted TMZ ?

Is this a new rule? and other tabloids like Radar Online are allowed or ohter tabloids like the Perez Hilton who just copypasted TMZ ?
I would like to understand this rule also. I don't want to be banned because this is the first place I have been able to talk and read about Michael since 86 (without any trash talking).

But what about other tabloids? Radar in particular is filthy but they are also the only outlet that reports on the court cases.
And let's face it, TMZ has gained this new found respectability since they broke the news of Michael's death. 60 Minutes even did a piece on them bc of this.
And all the mainstream news outlets use them as a source now. I know what they have reported, bc ABC, CBS etc. pick it up.
I find that sad, but they do.

Also, I was told that by posting the original article here, it cut down traffic to the actual site, which is what we want.

Just asking for clarification.

Last edited:
Would definitely go!
Would love to see the studio and would be great if they could assemble a bunch of awards and outfits in there.
Like Graceland....

Does the photo room MJ created still exist after the newer renovations? That would be interesting to see. Also, who is even living there at the moment? Because didn't Prince just have his graduation party there with the family? I can't help but giggle thinking about that security guard in Life with LaToya saying MJ's spirit is still around and he can hear him tap dancing sometimes up in his old studio. I can only imagine some of the fans running wild with those kinds of stories :p

Does the photo room MJ created still exist after the newer renovations? That would be interesting to see. Also, who is even living there at the moment? Because didn't Prince just have his graduation party there with the family?
Yes, he did and Taj had his wedding there before that. I know the memory room was still there in 2012 because Jermaine took the guy who produced his standards album up there to show him around. Here's a pretty good vid that shows the memory room off pretty well.
There's one I remember from the 90's that was even better, but for some reason I can't locate it.

Yes, he did and Taj had his wedding there before that. I know the memory room was still there in 2012 because Jermaine took the guy who produced his standards album up there to show him around. Here's a pretty good vid that shows the memory room off pretty well.
There's one I remember from the 90's that was even better, but for some reason I can't locate it.

Aha. Just curious how it could become museum when it's still being actively used by a large amount of the family? Alas. It'd be cool if it ended up true :) I think Tito also showed off the room in that 2008 Moving to Devin Doc.? Cute video though (even if we've seen most of the photos :p) Poor Jermaine. I think he mentions that Motown 25 shared microphone story in almost every interview I've ever seen him in? :chillin: let it go. let it go. don't hold it back anymore. :chillin:

Aha. Just curious how it could become museum when it's still being actively used by a large amount of the family? Alas. It'd be cool if it ended up true :) I think Tito also showed off the room in that 2008 Moving to Devin Doc.? Cute video though (even if we've seen most of the photos :p) Poor Jermaine. I think he mentions that Motown 25 shared microphone story in almost every interview I've ever seen him in? :chillin: let it go. let it go. don't hold it back anymore. :chillin:
Aww, I know. But it's OK. It's like Katherine's washing machine story-WE all know it, but there are people out there coming up, that don't. :) I probably tell the same old stories about my family too-back when I liked them. ha.

I think this is the best idea since sliced bread-I particularly like SoCav's ideas to run it-I'd imagine they could close it if they had a family function there-that way it would be properly used and not empty. I just love looking at any and all pictures and videos of it, or reading about it-so I just think it's a splendid idea. I'd really like it if some Jacksons would be tour guides too.

so I have really mixed feelings about this.

I am just going to C/P what I posted on FB the other day:

Not sure how I feel about this. Hayvenhurst is right in the middle of a busy area off Ventura Boulevard (a lot like Graceland) and there's already a lot of traffic to it. You wouldn't even recognize the neighborhood as wealthy and fancy right away until you realized how far apart all the gates are.That being said, it's not surprising since they moved Katherine and the kidlets (and all the hangers-on and 3rd twice-removed cousins) out to Calabasas three or four years ago to "remodel" and restore the place.
Yes, this was the house that Michael really grew up in before building Neverland, but there is so much dysfunction, infidelity, and abuse in this house as well. Michael took over the mortgage for it years ago, completely tore it down and rebuilt it (hence it is in the Estate's hands).
Keep it, yes. It's fully owned outright and I don't think there's anything outstanding on the mortgage note. A lot of amazing work was done here and it's special, but I really don't know about opening it up. It's still a private residence, and it's also still special to Michael's kids - do what *they* want done with it (which is, I believe, to move back and live in it, but that could have changed).

Then again...dun ber ber ber lees and daily buttercups were had here. Hmmm...

It'd be cool to see, but I have many reservations. I am still more upset about/invested in Neverland.

The memory room is still there. I had the privilege to visit inside of Hayvenhurst last year. I got to see where Michael had his "separated" place while living there. He had built small/tightly ways/corridors to get around in there, it´s hard to explain but it´s was very cool. I hope (if they open it for fans) they have someone to show around who knows all that kind of things. For anyone who have been to the Vatican and walking up those tightly spiral stairs can know what I try to explain. So instead of using doors he had those little corridors.

I think this could be fantastic if done well. Given that he lived there during his teenage years and early adulthood, including at the height of his fame, I think Hayvenhurst is a place of major importance in Michael's history.

Imagine listening to Michael talk with his engineers and singing songs while you are standing at the exact place it happened 30 or so years ago?

I think the possibilities are endless and if done well, with a focus on teaching people about Michael, this could be great. Not just for us fans as a special place to visit, but also for people who are interested in Michael but not really fans. If done with genuine care and heart and soul, I really think a place like this could be a major factor in correcting the often inaccurate perceptions people have of Michael as a person and artist, and be a huge contribution to the preservation of his legacy.

I just wanted to say that I think your ideas for both Hayvenhurst and Off the Wall 35 are absolutely amazing and you should send these to the Estate. In fact, in my opinion, you should work for the Estate. These are the ideas they need!!

Back