Which Era Had The Best Demos/Outtakes/Unreleased Material?

Funkystrong

Proud Member
Off The Wall
Sunset Driver
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Little Susie

Thriller
The Man
Starlight (evolved to Thriller)
Slapstick (Hot Street)
She's Trouble
Got The Hots
Behind The Mask
Nightline
Carousel
Love Never Felt So Good
Hollywood Night
Someone In The Dark
For All Time

Bad
Price Of Fame
Abortion Papers
Free
Fly Away
Chicago 1945 (Evolved to Al Capone)
Al Capone (Evolved to Smooth Criminal)
I'm So Blue
Streetwalker (Evolved to Dangerous)
Cheater
Loving You
Don't Be Messin' Round
Do You Know Where Your Children Are
We Are Here To Change The World
Scared Of The Moon
Dangerous
Someone Put Your Hand Out
This Is It
Get It
Come Together
There Must Be More To Life Than This
Victory
Groove Of Midnight
Eaten Alive
Make Or Break

Dangerous
Mind In The Magic
Serious Effect
Men In Black
Earth Song
Blood On The Dance Floor
Superfly Sister
Is It Scary/Ghosts
Monkey Business
If You Don't Love Me
They Don't Care About Us
Slave To The Rhythm
Morphine
She Got It
Work That Body
You Were There

HiStory, Past, Present and Future
In The Back
On The Line
Much Too Soon

Invincible
A Place With No Name
(I Like) The Way You Love Me
(I Can't Make It) Another Day
Chicago
Blue Gangsta
Xscape
Fall Again
Beautiful Girl
We've Had Enough
Shout
Fall Again
Seeing Voices
What More Can I Give

My personal favorites are from the Bad era since I believe it that era had the best potential to offset Thriller as MJ's most critical era. With songs like Cheater, Streetwalker, Price of Fame, I'm So Blue, Free, and Fly Away left of the Bad album i'm continuously scratching my head.

Last edited:
Are we talking about outtakes that ended up on later albums? Then it's definitely Dangerous followed by Bad

Superfly Sister, Someone put your hand out, Earth Song, They Don't Care About Us, Blood On The Dancefloor, Ghosts, Is It Scary (?), Joy, if You Don't Love Me

Each era has its gems, but I think for the combination of quantity and quality of output the Bad era has most to offer. In terms of which era has the strongest outtakes vs what made it onto the album, Invincible wins hands down for me.

Are we talking about outtakes that ended up on later albums? Then it's definitely Dangerous followed by Bad

Superfly Sister, Someone put your hand out, Earth Song, They Don't Care About Us, Blood On The Dancefloor, Ghosts, Is It Scary (?), Joy, if You Don't Love Me

You might be onto something there. Certainly many of those songs are seriously powerful and deeply personal/anthemic songs. I think you've successfully convinced me (intended or not) that Dangerous era outtakes/demos/unreleased material comprising the MJ's best tracks. Dangerous ---} Bad!!!

Each era has its gems, but I think for the combination of quantity and quality of output the Bad era has most to offer. In terms of which era has the strongest outtakes vs what made it onto the album, Invincible wins hands down for me.

I think it may actually be Dangerous based on the comment above.

Last edited:
Depends on how you define the eras as well though. I mean, Earth Song was written in October 1988, during the Bad Tour. I would still count that as the Bad era. Or does an era, in the context of this type of discussion, end the moment an album has been put out?

I tend to think that the Bad era has the best outtakes, released or otherwise; It probably has something to do with my love for that era's sound. :)

The outtakes from 1989 are insane... 'Monkey Business' is my personal favourite...

In terms of which era has the strongest outtakes vs what made it onto the album, Invincible wins hands down for me.

For this specifically, I couldn't agree more. I find it crazy how I like many of those unreleased tracks more than the ones that actually made the album...

BAD/Dangerous, the outtakes from those sessions are insane. That to me is MJ truly at his creative peak

Off The Wall
Thriller
Bad
Dangerous
HiStory, Past, Present and Future
Invincible

My personal favorites are from the Bad era since I believe it that era had the best potential to offset Thriller as MJ's most critical era. With songs like Cheater, Streetwalker, Price of Fame, I'm So Blue, Free, and Fly Away left of the Bad album i'm continuously scratching my head.

Cheater was from the the Bad sessions *.* O.O . I thought it was from the Invincible era... God, Michael was too ahead of his time! xD

My favourite is the Dangerous era - STTR, IYDLM, She Got It, Superfly Sister, BotDF, Earth Song, Monkey Business.. simply gold.

Cheater was from the the Bad sessions *.* O.O . I thought it was from the Invincible era... God, Michael was too ahead of his time! xD

Why would it be from the Invincible Era? Michael was trying to avoid that old sound...

Why would it be from the Invincible Era? Michael was trying to avoid that old sound...

Old? The only that might be considered "old" in Cheater would be the snare. And idk.. it just felt like it. Plus, the lyrics too sounded as if they were from that era.

For this specifically, I couldn't agree more. I find it crazy how I like many of those unreleased tracks more than the ones that actually made the album...

THIS. If half of those songs had been included on Invincible, and replaced things like Privacy and 2000 Watts, that album would have stayed smash. I do still love all of Invincible and no one will convince me otherwise, but Privacy and 2000 Watts, Don't Walk Away - those could all have been single B-sides or saved for packages later. Love hearing them (I love all the sounds and "tapestry" as Michael called in in Privacy!) but the outtakes were really what made Invincible, well...Invincible.

Damnit! I get so sad when I think about that project. IMO with all the material out there, it honestly could have been a double disc album, and if it had been arranged and finished correctly, there'd be no doubt of its awesomeness. It's the only album release of his that I was really old enough to appreciate (I was 14).

My favourite is the Dangerous era - STTR, IYDLM, She Got It, Superfly Sister, BotDF, Earth Song, Monkey Business.. simply gold.

There is NOT ENOUGH Monkey Business love! Regardless of which era, seriously, that track is just amazeballs. I'm so happy he finished it. I love the bass in it.

As for STTR - I'm glad he didn't finish it for Dangerous specifically - the fanmade dance track that released tells me all I need to know about its true home, Invincible.

And what about 12 O'Clock?! I'm not sure which I would have preferred to hear it on, but that's another gem. Just...pure...yes!

THIS. If half of those songs had been included on Invincible, and replaced things like Privacy and 2000 Watts, that album would have stayed smash. I do still love all of Invincible and no one will convince me otherwise, but Privacy and 2000 Watts, Don't Walk Away - those could all have been single B-sides or saved for packages later. Love hearing them (I love all the sounds and "tapestry" as Michael called in in Privacy!) but the outtakes were really what made Invincible, well...Invincible.

Damnit! I get so sad when I think about that project. IMO with all the material out there, it honestly could have been a double disc album, and if it had been arranged and finished correctly, there'd be no doubt of its awesomeness. It's the only album release of his that I was really old enough to appreciate (I was 14).

Agreed. The outtakes were solid; Xscape, Blue Gangsta, APWNN... I'm very happy that they did get to be released.

Dangerous, hands down. The outtakes, and even the songs worked on in that era that eventually made it onto HIStory and BOTDF are amazing.

all those invincible outtakes could form an amazing album.

1. Chicago
2. Hollywood Tonight -> could have been his best song ever if finished. (i love that song anyway :p)
3. A Place with no name
4. Blue Gangsta
5. Xscape
6. Another Day
7. Seeing Voices
8. cant get your weight of me (yet unheard)
9. we've had enough
10.-13. outtakes produced by RJ (yet unheard)

all those tracks with final touch by MJ .... that makes me faint while thinking of it :D

apart from that, iam a big fan of Price of Fame. i dont understand why they didnt finish it and put it on BAD. its outstanding.
same with STTR, i guess the vocals were so out of this world that they didnt know how to produce it instrumentally :D .... like find the beat/rhythm which is on the level of michaels singing.

Bad and Dangerous are my favorites but some of the song that didn't make it to Invincible, I prefer them more than some of the official ones in that album. I hope the estate release them in future productions.

Back