Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,635 Times in 687 Posts

Default Re: The problems with Invincible

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels Lover View Post
    in 1999, when I was in Munich for MJ & Friends concert, we also went to the hotel where he would stay, to see him when he arrived. we waited the whole day, he arrived (at around 6.30-7 pm), he walked around greeted (waved at us), all the fans standing there. and yeah, there were a lot people, of course. he went into the hotel and a while after he appeared in a window, then people started screaming, then he disappeared again, and appeared again in another window, and everyone started screaming again...it was a lot of fun...and it went on like that for HOURS

then, all of the sudden a man came out from the hotel and asked us kindly to be quiet. he (Michael) wouldn't come and wave at us anymore in the windows, and he would like some peace and quiet. he hadn't had a chance to relax since he arrived. and also for the other hotel guests, would like some peace and quiet, as well. so at that point, me and my friend decided to leave. there was no point in keep standing there and scream for him, when he wouldn't appear anymore that night, and we went to the stadium and slept outside there (it was the day before the concert). there were a lot of people who stayed outside the hotel, even after we got that message, and they'd brought sleeping bags and what not...
    Awesome story and memory, and had I had the opertunity I might have done that too. Perhaps it's because I'm getting a little older but I'd prefer a nice cosy bed and a hot chocolate and a book. :lol:
    Seriously though, back then I would have done that and left with you guys and camped out with ye.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aazzaabb For This Useful Post:

Michaels Lover

Quote Originally Posted by aazzaabb View Post
    Awesome story and memory, and had I had the opertunity I might have done that too. Perhaps it's because I'm getting a little older but I'd prefer a nice cosy bed and a hot chocolate and a book. :lol:
    Seriously though, back then I would have done that and left with you guys and camped out with ye.
    lol yeah, I prefer my bed as well...if I did that today (sleeping on the ground), it would kill my back
    and imagine, we camped outside the stadium for a whole week, for BOTH concerts in Copenhagen in 1997, to make sure to get up front...my whole body is aching just thinking about it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Michaels Lover For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,232 Times in 2,563 Posts

Post removed

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aazzaabb View Post
    Just because something is "nothing unusual" doesn't always mean it's right. I can understand it to a point but I'm not going to justify everything as love and devotion.
    Quote Originally Posted by HIStoric View Post
    I think there's a balance that needs to be struck. I think screaming/chanting when he comes out on his hotel balcony is perfectly fine and remains so for a little while after.

However if they're constantly making a racket all the time - especially at night - it's not only unfair on Michael (who has a right to R&R) but it's also unfair and inconsiderate to the other guests of the hotel.
    Of course, some issues cannot be ignored & I am referring mostly to safety issues (running after limousines in busy roads, threatening to hurt themselves in order to see the artist in person, & so on).

But generally speaking, it is very difficult to strike a balance between normal & not normal behavior when it comes to fans (a word that is derived from fanatics).

The lines between normal/acceptable behavior & extreme, obsessive ways of devotion tend to be many times blurred. Fans, for the most part, are not expected to behave in a reticent way, on the contrary their immeasurable enthusiasm is channeled very often through not normal ways. For me, this is understandable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 564 Posts

With Invincible, I think music for the first time became a distant number 2 priority (after his children). And I can certainly understand that. When it was time to hit the studio, he still had that same Michael Jackson dedication, and he was still very demanding of his collaborators and always pushing to make things better, but I think he was relying on ideas from his collaborators more than his own. I don't think it was a passion project as much as his previous albums were. And I think he kind of confirmed that in interviews after, saying that this was his last "pop album" and he wasn't interested in doing it anymore.
    Do you want an official MJ collectors label? Vote now!
    http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/th...llectors-label
    If it's good enough for Elvis, it's good enough for Michael.
    ---

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WildStyle For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MAQ View Post
    Ok so we know how this album got panned by almost every other critic - but most of them were concentrating more on his public persona than his music which is highly unprofessional.

Having said that, I find Invincible to be a sharp detraction from his previous music, which might have ticked off some fans - and even made some new ones. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Invincible, it's my third most favorite album (after Dangerous and HIStory) and I absolutely love it. However, there were some pretty obvious weaknesses in there.

I think, the average track length was a major weakness. Almost every other track played out too long and sucked away the whole punch (e.g Unbreakable, Privacy, 2000 watts). Some better songs should've made the cut (Shout, Xscape). Too many tracks (16) for a romance themed album. Threatened should've been the first track, it has a much better punch than Unbreakable imo. Michael should have added some, idk irregularities, like the way he laughed in Get On the Floor or beatboxing like he did in HIStory and Dangerous.

I think the major problem was the average track length. Even YRMW sounds a little tiring at the end.

So, guys, what do you think??
    There's no problem with Invincible.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Koopa Troopa For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,215 Posts

^ would you say it's youre fav MJ album? if not what prevents it from being so..
    **He lives forever within us**

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,130 Times in 970 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa View Post
    There's no problem with Invincible.
    I agree.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

My problems with Invincible:

1) Weak title track. Invincible is a decent song but it's definitely the weakest title track of any MJ solo adult album.
    2) Inclusion of rap on the album's first three songs. I'm not a big fan of rap but I don't mind the rap on Unbreakable. But having rap on three consecutive songs was a bit of an overkill and the fact that Fats is pretty mediocre doesn't help.
    3) Invincible sessions have the best outtakes after Bad sessions. Many of the songs that didn't feature on Invincible are better than the songs on the album which makes me wonder did Sony block MJ from including songs such as Blue Gangsta, Xscape, We had Enough or did MJ himself choose to not include those songs on Vince because he knew that Sony won't properly support the album.

But anyways my Invincible tracklist would be:

1) Unbreakable
    2) Heartbreaker (without the rap)
    3) Xscape (Title track)
    4) Break Of Dawn
    5) Blue Gangsta
    6) You Rock My World
    7) Butterflies
    8) Speechless
    9) She Was Loving Me
    10) You Are My Life
    11) A Place With No Name
    12) Don't Walk Away
    13) We've Had Enough
    14) Shout
    15) Whatever Happens
    16) Threatened

I would have Invincible, 2000 Watts and TLC released as B-sides on singles.

Unlike most people, I don't mind the length of the album. The more songs the better for me.
    Last edited by Nite Line; 18-10-2016 at 10:26 PM.

Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,215 Posts

I personally think the title of the album could have been UNBREAKABLE.. First I like how the song describes his position and what he was trying to represent at the time.. OR simply they could have swapped the words 'invincible' and 'unbreakable' in the songs and still make sense -that way keep the album name... Unbreakable would still make sense If he sang 'Invincibe' and vice versa..
    **He lives forever within us**

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    I personally think the title of the album could have been UNBREAKABLE.. First I like how the song describes his position and what he was trying to represent at the time.. OR simply they could have swapped the words 'invincible' and 'unbreakable' in the songs and still make sense -that way keep the album name... Unbreakable would still make sense If he sang 'Invincibe' and vice versa..
    Before listening to Invincible, I thought the song would be about MJ and how he is invincible. I was surprised upon hearing the song that it was about some invincible girl who just won't approve of his love. Yeah Unbreakable would have been a better title track as it describes MJ.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,248 Times in 1,533 Posts

For whatever reason I just don't quite care for the title UNBREAKABLE, though that's easily one of the best songs to emerge from the Invincible sessions. Full of balls-to-the-wall fury and energy and I love every second of it.

No matter what "track listing" we may come up with, that one HAS to be the album opener, do or die.