Poll: Best Guitarist?

Who do you think is the best guitarist?

• Total voters
I voted for Jennifer. Yes, Eddie van Halen and Slash are the star guitarists but Jennifer played Beat It just as well live as Eddie did in the studie and she rarely gets credit for being the great guitarist she is.

Without a doubt David Williams for me, who is not listed. Just an incredible rhythm player who really helped give a lot of Michael's songs their infectuous groove, and I think became even more important in helping maintain the raw funkiness when Michael started to use more programmed instruments in the place of live instruments as the 80s progressed. His timing was incredible. For instance, I was amazed to learn that the rhythm guitar we hear on Bad is actually double tracked. He played the song in its entirety (which was 8 minutes before it was cut down) twice. And even when you listen to the guitar isolated you can hardly hear that it's two different takes, that's how on point his timing was. He was also the most prominent guitarist on Michael's records and of course played live with him too.

Out of the ones listed I pick Eddie Van Halen followed by Steve Stevens as the most talented.

Last edited:
I love Slash (seeing him in September *ermagod*) but I picked Jennifer for this exact moment

jennifer-batten-mj-o.gif

:bow: SLAAAAYYYYY :bow:

I chose Slash not just for his work on Dangerous (In particular, Give in to me) but because of his work overall with Guns n Roses and Slash's snakepit. The dude is awesome guitarist and very distinctive with his hair. He is one of the last true rock and rollers.

See, I voted for Orianthi simply cause it was my first shout when I bumped into the thread :blush:

She is a real NEW talent. I even bought her album cause I think she's awesome really and I hardly buy albums of other artists :smilerolleyes:

Then of course, you have all the others that are COOL. Jennifer for her LIVE performance as mentioned and Eddie Van Halen for the iconic Beat it guitar riff and yeash, Slash for the awesome performance at the VMA's in 95 :woohoo:

Indeed, let's not forget Santana for "Whatever happens" so the choice was kind of hard! :eek:

GOOD thread though! :clap:

A lot of guitarists are missing from the poll, such as Bill Bottrell (guitarist on "Black or White"), Lenny Kravitz (guitarist on "Another Day"), Steve Lukather (guitarist on "Beat It"), Tim Pierce (guitarist on "Black or White") and Carlos Santana (guitarist on"Whatever Happens").

Anyway, Eddie Van Halen and Steve Lukather are my favorites. I think "Beat It" is the best hard rock song MJ ever did.

When it comes to chemistry on stage, Michael had the best one with Jennifer and Slash. He could make theatrics with both and none of them tried to overshadow each other. So my vote is tied among those two.

A lot of guitarists are missing from the poll, such as Bill Bottrell (guitarist on "Black or White"), Lenny Kravitz (guitarist on "Another Day"), Steve Lukather (guitarist on "Beat It"), Tim Pierce (guitarist on "Black or White") and Carlos Santana (guitarist on"Whatever Happens").

Anyway, Eddie Van Halen and Steve Lukather are my favorites. I think "Beat It" is the best hard rock song MJ ever did.

Well, you got a point there. If I focus on the songs with 'guitar riffs' in them, then I would have to say "Beat it " stands out of it. The guitar riff from Beat it had been my ringtone for ages :D

Michael was the greatest and Slash the guitarist
where are Santana and Lenny Kravitz?
is this poll from 1999?

Michael was the greatest and Slash the guitarist
where are Santana and Lenny Kravitz?
is this poll from 1999?
It's from 2015, it says at the top when the posts were made. Also this forum didn't exists in 1999

Back