Thread: If MJ went back to Motown?

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: If MJ went back to Motown?

I agree with you all, yes Motown made them stars, but they didlimit them a lot and many of the songs they recorded were merely fillers and songs that had been done to death by other artists (Forever came today -although their version is great, with Marlon doing the vocals!!). Also as they really lost their prominence in the later 70s. By 1978 all they really had was Stevie Wonder, who was smoking, The Commodores were breaking through, Rick James and everyone else was in erratic form (Marvin Gaye etc).

Michael and his brothers with the support and urging of Joseph, knew they needed to move to a different label, where they could write their own songs and record more upbeat music, as Motown was stuck in this 1967 showtune type mold with Norman Whitfield gone and many aging acts like the Miracles, Smokey Robinson, the Temptations and Four Tops on the books (In the period where their best days were behind them, but before the big 80s revivals). Basically they got off a sinking ship.

That's not to say the music they did on Dancing Machine and Moving Violation wasn't good it was, They still had hits with Dancing machine, I am Love Part 1 and 2 and Forever came today, but they felt they were stuck in in that mold, and they were no longer a bunch of little kids, by 1975 even Michael had hit puberty and Randy was no young Michael. Jermaine was the thorny issue being Hazel's husband. Plus that split was acrimonious, Berry Gordy took and kept the Jackson 5 name and that pissed Joseph and the guys off no end as that was their name they used back in Gary. Hence why at Epic, they became the Jacksons.

Plus too to make it bitchier, Motown kept issuing compilation albums of old Jackson 5 music under the Jackson 5 name, usually at times when Jackson product and solo Jackson music came out on Epic and other labels. Sometimes this music was a hit with songs like "One day in Your life" and "Farewell my summer love" great songs, but MJ was not profiting of it. The quality varied ranging from demos in the 1968/69 period to better items. All of this backstabbing would grate on Michael after a while as in the 80s and most of the 90s, he was very shrewd and knew how to manage al his money and affairs and obviously did not like Motown undercutting him, when a song by 13 year old Michael competed with the current album.

But I don't think Michael would ever had gone back afterwards, I mean Berry Gordy had to beg Michael to do the Motown 25 show and even then it was on the condition he perform Billie Jean on it as well, and thank God he did!!!
    Last edited by mjprince1976; 02-09-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: More info and spelling grammar corrections

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjprince1976 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 868 Posts

Default Four Tops

Quote Originally Posted by mjprince1976 View Post
    Four Tops
    They weren't on Motown then. They were on ABC Records during the 1970s, where they had hits like Catfish, Ain't No Woman, & Still Water.

Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,159 Times in 2,357 Posts

I'm sorry if this is off topic a bit, but I could not find a thread, other than this one,
    to make my post and I didnt want to start a new thread.

If MJ went back to MOTOWN, it would look like this.
    There are plans underway for an expansion of the famed MOTOWN Museum....aka HITSVILLE USA.
    I would sure like to visit it now to experience the original place where The J5 recorded before it's expansions take place
    Pretty cool, huh?

And look! You can see the picture of the brothers in the near background.

http://https://www.motownmuseum.org/motown-museum-announces-museum-expansion/

Here's a picture of the way it looks right now.

Missing Michael.....

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silouette For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceship View Post
    I don't think Motown would give Michael any real benefits he wouldn't have with any other notable record label, so I think him going back would have been pointless. As for the idea of Michael rerecording his old Motown songs, I wouldn't have minded as long as it didn't affect his actual studio albums. Michael should have been evolving his sound, not chasing his past, so I wouldn't have wanted any rerecorded Motown songs to have ended up on a new album by Michael.
    R u serious? An adult version of who's loving you by the man himself? Shamone!...😕😕😕😕😕

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,560 Posts

If Michael went back to Motown, we'd have a gazillion more Greatest Hits compilations (and I reckon we already have enough Adult MJ Greatest Hits packages as it is).

Seriously I just had a look and there are about 11 Jackson 5 studio albums... but there are 13 additional compilations that are greatest hits or focus on previously released material. On top of this, there is 4 Solo MJ albums for Motown... an extra 8 or so are compilations of his solo material. There's just waaaaaay too many out there and I wouldn't be surprised if we got another one by the close of the decade.

As for recording previous material, I wouldn't mind if he re-recorded the odd J5 song or two and duetted with his younger self. Rather prefer him focusing on new material, but it'd make for some pretty cool bonus material!! Always wanted to see him do that.
    Last edited by HIStoric; 22-10-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,107 Times in 9,070 Posts

Sounds pointless to me. I am glad he evolved artiscically and did not get stuck somewhere in the past. He would be a nostalgia act by now if he had done that.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HIStory For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I am wondering if Motown still exists as a label. It has been bought and sold heaps. I heard Andre Harrell ran it into the ground
    around 2000 and the only real hitmakers left were Boyz II Men who had long since fallen off.

Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,232 Posts

Motown was the best place for Michael to develop as an artist, but the truth is Michael was a PR and marketing monster the 80's and beyond.. If he went back Motown simply would have held him back.. Not musically but they did not market artists (aside a select handful) in the later years.. And lets face it, the Motown artists from the late 90's into the 00's for the most part never cracked it huge. Maybe if Motown did a deal with someone else aside from universal Music Group they could have made more of an impact. This is no knock on the quality of music, just how much attention many of the artist under the UniversalMotown most of them are either 'old news' and the ones that are big generally come from a sub Label under the umbrella that Mike would never sign with like 'Young Money' which is a branch off of Universal while in turns connects to universalMotown..

I'd say a singular project would have been cool, maybe an album of re worked songs that he did when young and/or duets with the young MJ like "I'll be there"... That would be a nice project to have..
    Walk in truth, stand IN JUSTICE https://twitter.com/rasheedKOPV?s=09