New Book: 83 Minutes: The Doctor, the Damage, and the Shocking Death of Michael Jackson

Can't they just stop making books about him and leave him alone?

^^"Squalid conditions"? Are they talking about that gorgeous mansion on Carrollwood? Another trash book-hope nobody buys it.

^^"Squalid conditions"? Are they talking about that gorgeous mansion on Carrollwood? Another trash book-hope nobody buys it.

That line was a red flag for me, too. They make it sound like he died in a crack house or on the street...REALLY?! I couldn't afford to rent a broom closet in that mansion; it was the farthest thing from being "squalid". :doh:

My first reaction was utter "OMG, will this mayhem never end" :blink: Now, they need to write a book about it and cash in on it obviously :pirate:

Then, I thought about the way my 'friend outside of the MJ Bubble' acted when I talked about Michael. She doesn't even know about that quack or the way Michael was 'murdered' and that totally made me :evil:.

I know, we want to 'forget' this whole ordeal and just want Michael to be with us still :blush: but seen in 'prespective' of how 'ignorant' and 'blissful' other peeps are like, I exactly WANT that they know how Michael was 'murdered' in the lame HOPE that they would somehow FEEL the same 'desperation' as we do still today. :doh:

Okay, the 'squalid' mention is over the top considering the style of the house but what I agree on is the 'official documents' as in court transcripts used to vouch what really happened to MIchael. :cry:

However, I won't buy it though. I've had enough nightmares following the quack courtcase so I honestly know enough. :blink:

Thanks for the 33 pages.

83 seconds. That's how long I scanned before exiting. (Actually, I think it was a lot less than that, but who's counting)

:giggle:

Seems to totally random people writing this book, and they have no connection to MJ at all.
One of them is fashion house CEO and the other one is documentary maker, but not in popular culture type of docs:scratch:

Well there is a list of books coming out soon enough so people can choose and pick:
The Genius of Michael Jackson By Steve Knopper
Kerry Andersson(?)
Rumour has it that TMezz is writing a book

His twitter post:
MARK LANGTHORNE ?@mark_langthorne Sep 2
@xxxxxx Thanks. I wanted to the truth about what happened to MJ on the night of his death and who was really to blame. A true star

Hmm, do we not know what happened on the night of his death and who was to blame?

Last edited:
Well I've seen people on tabloid shows holding court transcripts and autopsy reports and twist them completely. From the book's description I put it in that category.

For an accurate record the trial itself is usually on YouTube.

Tavis Smileys book about the last days will be coming out too. Oh, and Siedah said last year she was working on a book-probably on her whole life, though, not just about Michael.

Last edited:
"Don't read it. Don't buy it. It's garbage."

Imma take Michael's advice on this one :)

The Genius of Michael Jackson By Steve Knopper - Rolling Stone :puke: Enough said ;)

I'm actually going to wait until I hear reviews of his book before I decide whether to buy his book.
I know that some people who writes for RS has written nasty articles of Michael, but I went as far as I checked all of his (Steve K) articles in RS if he wrote garbage of MJ and could not find 1, see yourself
http://www.rollingstone.com/contributor/steve-knopper

He got some bonus points from me when he took twitter and defended Joe Vogel when some loonies attacked on Joe(y)

The Genius of Michael Jackson By Steve Knopper - Rolling Stone :puke: Enough said ;)

Kerry Anderson - He said his parents are getting older and he didn't realize how much work it would require, so those personal issues have taken priority. He does want to get the book out, but as his original plan was to have it out on Vindication Day, I wouldn't expect it for awhile.

Rumour has it that TMezz is writing a book - TMez confirmed he's working on a book and (I believe) said it was almost complete but that it won't likely come out for either a year or 2 (though I'm pretty sure he said 2?)

Both Kerry and Tom were on King Jordan for the MJ Birthday Bash and talked briefly about their books along with some other great info. if anyone wants to check it out. Jordan is difficult to listen to, but there's always some new info. that pops up when he has guests such as Tom and Kerry as they're on fairly often. Mark Garcia, Geraldine Hughes, and Ola Ray were also on, though, listening to Ola Ray was ... :doh:

Was ola going on bout her thiller royalties by any chance? :p

83 MINUTES ha? I will read it if it discusses what happened in those 6 MINUTES missing on security film.

Thanks for posting the excerpt. OK, then, I've read it now. I expected this to be sensationalized in themes and language, but so far, it's actually not particularly florid or opinionated. It's RESEARCH-based, from materials available to anyone, i.e. court transcripts, and other published sources. I won't be buying it, but do find it vastly superior to Taraborelli, whose "sources" are listed in the back of his book (and in the revisions) as being tabloids. I suppose the book could be useful for those who don't know the history as well as fans do? For a research-based book such as this, I would have hoped that it would go the extra mile and connect some dots. As in, what ABOUT that missing six minutes on security tapes? So far, what this book does is condense the material already available to the public, and pieces it together in a linear format. My opinion about this book, based on what I read here, is -- neutral. NEXT?

Marc Almond ?@MarcAlmond
Just read this brilliant book on Michael Jackson called '83 Minutes'. Fascinating and jaw dropping. IT'S A THRILLER!
COiXkODXAAAqUnH.jpg

Nope. It was pretty painful to listen to. She sort of touched on their "relationship", why she's been away for 20 years (...), premiered a song (because she's a singer now and putting out music), and of course, the Thriller heyday soundbites. To be kind, it was not ... my cup of tea ... For example, when Jordan asked her if she could say one thing to MJ now that he's gone, her answer was, "so when we hooking up *giggle giggle*" :doh:

She seriously said that?........OMG :doh:

I wont pass negative judgment on the book (a least yet) and yeah it will have already documented information about thing we've read and seen in court but we are not the general pubic when it comes to Michael.. thousands of books are released with information readily available to people.. Shoot, even biopic movies often are made of 90% of stuff FANS know.. But when an 'outsider' comes in and watches that film (read a book) it's new to them..

From what others are saying is that it's FACT base (reseach) which is more than we can say for most books released about Michael... To be honest I'd much rather have the general public (those who wonder what happened) read a book of research over some 'hoopla' some "journalist" wrote from a squid perspective.

83 Minutes: The Doctor, The Damage and The Shocking Death of Michael Jackson by Matt Richards and Mark Langthorne; book review

What really happened in the 83 minutes between Michael Jackson’s doctor noticing he wasn’t breathing and finally phoning 9/11 on 25 June 2009? This book seeks to lay bare the truth about that crucial window of time, which still remains hazy to this day due to conflicting accounts from Jackson’s personal physician, Dr Murray, and other witnesses working at the singer’s home on North Carolwood Drive in LA.

Despite the book’s attempt to retell the story of Jackson’s death from prescription drug intoxication in objective terms, it is clear that the authors find Dr Murray guilty of neglecting Jackson during those pivotal 83 minutes, and of administering him dangerous anaesthetic drugs that he should never have agreed to.

Jackson hired Murray in a desperate attempt to find a personal physician who would be prepared to give him Propofol, a form of anaesthetic administered intravenously, due to the singer’s increasing inability to sleep. In the last weeks of Jackson’s life, Murray appeared to be trying to wean the singer off the dangerous drug, but a heady mixture of financial pressures and addictive tendencies led to a fatal dose being administered.

Murray had accepted an offer of $150,000 a month to act as Jackson’s personal doctor for AEG Live, the company in charge of Jackson’s big comeback shows in London. While the singer – who had a history of addiction to prescription pain killers - became adamant he needed the Propofol, what he called “milk”, to help him sleep to prepare for the show’s rehearsals.

Paramedics found Jackson unresponsive on his bed, on which rested a porcelain doll with curly golden hair. The bedroom was strewn with needles, cans of Red Bull and boxes of pills. Perhaps most eerily, Jackson was found wearing a condom catheter sleeping on a waterproof mattress to cater for his supposed incontinence. The tragic tale of the boy who never grew up ended here.

But rather than giving a thrilling, page-turning account of the events that led up to Jackson’s death, 83 Minutes is written as a painstaking survey. The 100 pages of footnotes are testament to the years of research that have gone into the book, which makes for an informed read but not a particularly enjoyable one. The sentences are short, the language economical and the book feels more like an extended 300 page news story than a dramatic retelling of one of the biggest stories in the history of showbiz.

Indeed, authors Richard and Langthorne should be commended for choosing to tell a story that has relied so heavily on sensationalism in the purest of terms, however it is hard to tell quite who the book’s audience is intended to be. It is hardly a beach read, even for the most ardent Jackson fan.

The book is devoid of any emotional insight into why the singer died six years ago, relying instead on facts and testimonies. One of the few psychological analyses of the singer’s state of mind comes from his make-up artist, Karen Faye, who is quoted as saying: “I see so many people invest in his success and believe in him. Then I have to watch him self-destruct. I have seen with my own eyes him deteriorate physically in a month. I have seen him do this several times in my relationship with him.”

La Toya Jackson’s claims that Michael Jackson was “worth more dead than alive” turned out to be true. While no party was found to have been complicit in the murder of Jackson, the combined earnings of Jay Z, Kanye West and Taylor Swift come nowhere near the sums made from Jackson’s estate since his death.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...and-mark-langthorne-book-review-10505688.html

TinnyandOdd;4108339 said:
Well no effin' kidding. You know who else found him guilty? A court of law! SMH. This is exactly what is wrong with the world today. This should not be a "thrilling, page-turning account of the events." Someone died. They died! And they left 3 children behind? Do people not understand that? And God forbid someone puts out a book based on facts about Michael Jackson. Let the clouds part and sing hallelujah. Ugh. You know, as much as I don't want anything to do with this book, reading this review has given me a lot more respect for the authors because it seems like they are at least trying to tell a factual timeline of events to people who perhaps only followed the tabloids.

World and its people has been always the same. We find famous people fascinating and buy/read books about them, some of them more or less gory but all the same, we read them, or watch documentaries of them. Michael is no difference from any other famous person. People who reads this book is no different from me/us who followed the trial, they just put it on the book form.
I'm sure Elvis fans are/were upset with some of many books written about him, but person as famous as Elvis, there is bound to be books written about him.
Same goes with Steve Jobs, Kurt Cobain, Marilyn, John Lennon etc etc etc. There is a new book out of Beethoven "Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph". Having been dead since 1827, you would think everything has been said about him by now, but hey, there is always something to discover. I expect nothing less for Michael or anyone else who made a mark on this world.

I don't quite get what are you trying to say? They claim to be factual and rely on court documents, but you say "God forbids if someone puts a book out based on facts about MJ"? You seem to be talking two different thing?

I personally don't this book is for me as I followed prelim from Sprocket Trials, I watched live court room feed every single day, and AEG trial so I think I'm pretty much covered as what happen to MJ, so I doubt these guys brings anything new on the table, but perhaps it is good to have it for the historians to have details in one book, I don't know as I agree with what that reviewer wrote
"it is hard to tell quite who the book’s audience is intended to be. It is hardly a beach read, even for the most ardent Jackson fan."

Meanwhile, I shall wait reviews from Steve Knopper's book and may read it:)

I will read this as I try to read most things that are put out about MJ, good or bad, just so I can come to my own conclusions.

I usually borrow them from the library first and then, if I think they are worthwhile and I feel I am happy to support the author/s, I go ahead and buy my own copy.

In my other statement I was referring to the reviewer's opinion that because the book was based on facts it made it boring and would have been a more interesting read had it been written with a bit more ... pizzaz (if you catch my drift.) I meant God forbid someone put a book out based solely on facts (especially this case as the media did run rampant with it) about Jackson because most of the books we do have are based on rumour and hearsay, and because this book wasn't, it received a semi negative (IMO) review.
I got what you were saying, because I had the same exact reaction. I watched the entire trial, and the commentary and also unfortunately followed the tabloid versions before the trial-just trying to get at what happened. But I obviously didn't take any of the tabloid versions as gospel-mostly unnamed sources and "hearsay" was all they had.

The reviewer seems to be very disappointed that Michael didn't die some kind of exciting, dramatic, tension filled, page turning death or something-maybe he was envisioning closets loaded with illegal drugs and Michael was supposed to be some kind of raving lunatic drug addict or a basement full of killers-people plotting and planning Michael's demise or something dramatic like that-and when he says the authors seem to think that Murray did it-well, they know Murray did it-from Murray's own vocal admission to the detectives played in court, he did it-even if he did give a slanted version. He left his patient. Period. Nothing hazy about it.

I guess the reviewer was titillated by the baby doll, the catheter, and the Red Bull cans-I would just assume a catheter would be necessary if you're going to put a man dead out-and I honestly don't recall a thing about Red Bull being around-what was that for? To keep Murray awake?

Back