Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Dangerous

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Blood On The Dance Floor

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Psychoniff

Proud Member
Which song did MJ best narrates the tail of a threatening and deceitful woman?

Last edited:
That is a COOL thread! :clap:

Well, when I read the title thread I said BOTDF. With Susie's got your number look who took you under :D

Then I spotted the Poll and changed my mind... Dirty Diana is the 'femme fatale' really!

Michael called his babe to say he'll be late and he forgot his key lol and Dirty Diana claimed 'he's sleeping with me' :eek:

I think Who Is It is the best one. That emotion, that quivering voice, those vocal hiccups, plus the paranoia factor (is it a friend of mine?). In no other song has he so openly showed the paranoia and the conflicting voices in his head. The lyrics are masterful and the video is one of his best short films ever. This song was a testament to his artistic peak in Dangerous.

There is no flaw in this song at all - it hasn't dated, it isn't cheesy, it isn't overwhelmingly paranoid, it doesn't feel long at all even though it's length is well beyond the 6 minute mark. The music perfectly fits the whole concept. Every single thing is on point.

A lotta people say that it's similar to Billie Jean and that ends their comment. However, Who Is It is far more intricate, artistic, lyrically and conceptually deep and relatable than Billie Jean ever could be. I really like Billie Jean, but Who Is It is the a more superior and mature track. Wish it had received the acclaim it deserved...

I think Who Is It is the best one. That emotion, that quivering voice, those vocal hiccups, plus the paranoia factor (is it a friend of mine?). In no other song has he so openly showed the paranoia and the conflicting voices in his head. The lyrics are masterful and the video is one of his best short films ever. This song was a testament to his artistic peak in Dangerous.

There is no flaw in this song at all - it hasn't dated, it isn't cheesy, it isn't overwhelmingly paranoid, it doesn't feel long at all even though it's length is well beyond the 6 minute mark. The music perfectly fits the whole concept. Every single thing is on point.

A lotta people say that it's similar to Billie Jean and that ends their comment. However, Who Is It is far more intricate, artistic, lyrically and conceptually deep and relatable than Billie Jean ever could be. I really like Billie Jean, but Who Is It is the a more superior and mature track. Wish it had received the acclaim it deserved...

WOW, it is NOT even listed but you hit the nail right on the head there :agree:Valid point taken.
Who is it is indeed mysterious :busted:

Oooh-this is a hard one-in "Blood on the Dancefloor" she actually STABS him-but "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Dirty Diana" are such killer songs-I'm going to have to go with "Billie Jean"-not only the way he sings it, and the way it sounds-those 'shuddering' horns and that whip cracking alone-

but the way he "acts" it out in Motown 25-starting with the combing of his hair, and strutting down the street ready to take on the town-down to the the denial by stomping his feet and waving his hands desperately and shaking his head "no" violently-the glaring, staring, and then pain in his eyes-if I couldn't hear a single lyric of that song, and he was singing 'nonsense' lyrics, I'd know what it was about.

I always think of WIT has a common song about being cheated on rather than being taken advantage of like the femme fatale songs, that's why I never listed it. But good call though.

I always think of WIT has a common song about being cheated on rather than being taken advantage of like the femme fatale songs, that's why I never listed it. But good call though.

I think Who Is It is a very complex song. Mainly because he doesn't bash the girl as in Dirty Diana, or warns others through his regret as in BotDF or even shares with the listener the troubles he had to go through during their encounter as in Billie Jean. Instead, it's all about his emotions and paranoia.

It's like he's fallen in love with a groupie or a prostitute without even knowing who or what she was. And she's left him for another man for God knows what reason. That I think is what "predatory women" do. So instead of feeling angry about it - which most youngsters are likely to feel - Michael feels sad about the betrayal. And he asks himself, "Who is it? Is it a friend of mine? Is it my brother?" And he feels lonely and insecure.

Dirty Diana was all about being tough and living in the moment, BotDF was about regret, Dangerous was about being revengeful (in a Michael-sort of way), Billie Jean was about denial and justice but Who Is It was only about emotions and being honest to himself about how he felt about that woman. And that I think is where the maturity really shows.

So, imo, the song does qualify as a femme fatale track - however on a whole other level where Michael's own emotions are the subject of the song instead of the shady girl who triggers them.

^I understand what you mean here but it's the video that makes you think he fell in love with a groupie or prostitute. The song itself seems to be about his wife or girlfriend having an affair. Cheating on him. And he's in anguish. WDAN does that too.

The Dirty Diana and Billie Jean, HH songs are true femme fatale songs about the woman who seduced him away from his own girl. And he struggled but couldn't resist for the moment. Lust is powerful.

^I understand what you mean here but it's the video that makes you think he fell in love with a groupie or prostitute. The song itself seems to be about his wife or girlfriend having an affair. Cheating on him. And he's in anguish. WDAN does that too.

The Dirty Diana and Billie Jean, HH songs are true femme fatale songs about the woman who seduced him away from his own girl. And he struggled but couldn't resist for the moment. Lust is powerful.

This is the first time I've heard someone say that Who Is It's theme is similar to WDAN... Lmao :D hope you weren't serious. Because the tone and the entire feel of the songs are entirely opposite.

Yes, the music video kinda influenced my perception of Who Is It - but it "kinda" qualifies for that kind of a song. The feeling is of pain and anguish over a girl who just left Michael without saying a word. Maybe she cheated, maybe she didn't. Maybe she went off with his money or found someone richer than Michael. We'll never know. So I think you're right in saying that it isn't a true femme fatale song; it has a very hybrid feel to it as nothing is decided about the identity of the girl in the song. However, the video offers the interpretation I am inclined towards. So, the overall song might have some very strong femme fatale influences.

This is the first time I've heard someone say that Who Is It's theme is similar to WDAN... Lmao :D hope you weren't serious. Because the tone and the entire feel of the songs are entirely opposite.
Haha. Yeah, I happened to be listening to it while I was writing and got to the line "you must be seeing some other guy instead of me" so I threw it in my post.
Lyrically, a cheating girlfriend is common, but the tone and mood of Who Is It is full of pain, anguish and heartbreak.

Yes, the music video kinda influenced my perception of Who Is It - but it "kinda" qualifies for that kind of a song. The feeling is of pain and anguish over a girl who just left Michael without saying a word. Maybe she cheated, maybe she didn't. Maybe she went off with his money or found someone richer than Michael. We'll never know. So I think you're right in saying that it isn't a true femme fatale song; it has a very hybrid feel to it as nothing is decided about the identity of the girl in the song. However, the video offers the interpretation I am inclined towards. So, the overall song might have some very strong femme fatale influences.

I think what Barbee is trying to say is that the songs MJ wrote about love/relationships were often not so straightforward. There was always some kind of twist.

While all of them are great, and I would have a hard time choosing if I really dissected the songs... There is something extra intriguing about Dirty Diana for me.. I think it has to do with the vulnerability that the whole song brings.. From the vocals to the strings and how they flow together. It's a very 'desperate' sounding sounding song.. You could put the song on a muffle filter (not able to make out the words) and STILL tell this guy is in trouble and needs help..

The vocal patterns along with the instrumental is one of the best pieces of art to me.. the strings come in before he starts expressing his need of callin his woman to tell her he's alright... and the way he dips his voice into an anguishing sound as he phrases specific words.. Every 11th& 12th syllable going desperately raspy.

She Said I Have To Go Home
'Cause I'm Real Tired You See
But I Hate Sleepin' Alone
Why Don't You Come With
Me
I Said My Baby's At Home
She's Probably Worried
Tonight
I Didn't Call On The Phone To
Say That I'm Alright

Than the strings come in as he explains her reaction.. "Diana Walked Up to me...." to build suspense.

AHHHHHH, it' poetic in every way.... So perfectly put together.. It brings it to life like a movie!!

While all of them are great, and I would have a hard time choosing if I really dissected the songs... There is something extra intriguing about Dirty Diana for me.. I think it has to do with the vulnerability that the whole song brings.. From the vocals to the strings and how they flow together. It's a very 'desperate' sounding sounding song.. You could put the song on a muffle filter (not able to make out the words) and STILL tell this guy is in trouble and needs help..

The vocal patterns along with the instrumental is one of the best pieces of art to me.. the strings come in before he starts expressing his need of callin his woman to tell her he's alright... and the way he dips his voice into an anguishing sound as he phrases specific words.. Every 11th& 12th syllable going desperately raspy.

She Said I Have To Go Home
'Cause I'm Real Tired You See
But I Hate Sleepin' Alone
Why Don't You Come With
Me
I Said My Baby's At Home
She's Probably Worried
Tonight
I Didn't Call On The Phone To
Say That I'm Alright

Than the strings come in as he explains her reaction.. "Diana Walked Up to me...." to build suspense.

AHHHHHH, it' poetic in every way.... So perfectly put together.. It brings it to life like a movie!!
Yup. Exactly right. Just like a movie.

In fact all of the Bad album is startling visual-a bunch of mini movies even if he had made NO short films. You can picture everything from the the way the vocals and the production sound.

Okay, yesterday I heard "Chicago" on MJJCRadio :D

A thought hit my mind that the 'lady' in there could also be a 'femme fatale' cause as you listen to the story. She's married with kids and cheats on her husband by 'lying' she has one and she does everything to 'get him'. Michael is 'trapped' before he realize it cause 'he's not that kind of man' :blush:

Blue Gangsta should be considered a femme fetale song.

You've tricked me nine to five, left and you said a crime
People telling me, you've got another guy
I've been abused, watch me light in fuse
Said you'd be my wife, nothing but big lies

Don't know what I've done, everything you've got
Things you've done to me, are coming back to you
You know just what I've done, the things you've done to me
I'm the blue gangsta

This is my ex wife to a tee. :D

I think not including "Blue Gangsta" makes sense; the song was an unfinished demo IIRC.

"Heartbreaker" and "Who Is It" should have been included in the poll, though. Anyway, my favorite is "Billie Jean".

I think not including "Blue Gangsta" makes sense; the song was an unfinished demo IIRC.

Unfinished song (musically, production), not a demo. Love Never Felt So Good is a demo song. Those Blue Gangsta vocals were definitely vocals recorded and mixed for the album release. Same goes for A Place With No Name, Slave To The Rhythm, Chicago & Xscape.

Perhaps "Blue Gangsta" wasn't a demo, but I don't think it was finished while Michael was alive, so I think it makes sense to leave it out of the poll.

Also, I think "Xscape" was completed in both music and production while Michael was alive.

Vocally it was.

But not in the other areas like music and production like you said, so I think it makes sense not to include it in this poll.

Not for the final release. But yes it was the most complete song.

What do you mean the "final release"? I thought the original version was completed while MJ was alive; it was just left off Invincible.

Blue Gangster counts... lol! unfinished song or not is it still a song... and Femme Fatale one at that.

no reason to get caught up in logistics all the time.. It's just a thread about the opinion best Femme Fatale song, not something important like the war against obesity..

Maybe some people wish they thought of the song first... is there a Ghost Of Jealousy up in this B!? haha

Blue Gangster counts... lol! unfinished song or not is it still a song... and Femme Fatale one at that.

But it's unfinished, so I think it's for the best it was left off the poll. I don't think an unfinished song can really be put in the same category as finished songs.

no reason to get caught up in logistics all the time.. It's just a thread about the opinion best Femme Fatale song, not something important like the war against obesity..p

It's simply my opinion that it was for the best that the song was left off the poll.

Maybe some people wish they thought of the song first... is there a Ghost Of Jealousy up in this B!? haha

This is "just a thread about the opinion best Femme Fatale song, not something important"; there's no reason to taunt others for not sharing your opinion on a song.

Last edited:
^ I get it, but automatically people are going to try coming up with there own ideas.. "What about this?" or "that"... the fact it's not on the poll, it just does not count on the poll.. that's fair! but it's still a Femme Fatale song.

It's kind of like..

Who's the best rapper of the 90?

* Jay Z
* Biggie Smalls
* Nas
* Ice Cube

Some people will STILL say TUPAC! lol.. even when it's not an option.. it's 'Human Nature'! That is why they do you that wayyyyyyy

Blue Gangsta is not a demo. It was suppose to be on Invincible but for some stupid reason was left off. To call it a demo is laughable.

Demo or not, Chicago is also a femme fatale song. And a good one at that :)

"She said just to give her a page
To spend the night was the goal she played (She was loving me)
She lied to you, lied to me
Thought she was loving me, loving me"

Voted for the first three. Heartbreak Hotel, Billie Jean and Dirty Diana. Going by lyrics alone Dirty Diana is a nasty piece of work. She tortures him and makes him stay with her forever. Billie Jean just stalks him and makes up some lines about her child being Michael's but he claims he never went there with her, but he did with Diana and the gothic horror aspect of the mysterious people in the Heartbreak Hotel kind of rules it out of reality. But Dirty Diana I mean she is a piece of work, after all she wants his body and his soul and to control him entirely.

And now you guys will get a bit annoyed with me, I don't believe these theories, but they do cross my mind at times
1. Dirty Diana is Diana Ross, a woman who Michael was infatuated with.
2. Dirty Diana is a tribute/version/rip off of Darling Nikki by Prince. And before you all start, they are debating this on the Prince.org, I already have said its not, merely a similar themed song and Michael's song is far too original and too Michael Jackson like to be compared to the stripped down funk of Pirnce's Nikki. Nikki just tortures Prince and leaves, but with a phone number on the stairs... Diana on the other hand is gone.

Last edited:
^ You sure love to shove Prince down our throats. I like Prince but it's ridiculous how you bring him in every thread. This is a Michael Jackson forum the last time I checked.

^ You sure love to shove Prince down our throats. I like Prince but it's ridiculous how you bring him in every thread. This is a Michael Jackson forum the last time I checked.

Very disappointed with your reply. I merely suggested a rumour. Also if you read my post fully and properly, you would see I debunk the rumour. Also you contribute nothing to thread which is about Michael's best femme fatale songs, not about what other people are posting.

Back