Your own Mount Rushmore of Musicians...

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
Mount_Rushmore_National_Memorial.jpg

Okey guys, if you could customize your own Mount Rushmore of the greatest musicians of all time who would be on there? would MJ be there?

This is my list:

1. Michael Jackson
2. Stevie Wonder
3. Prince
4. Freddie Mercury/Queen

Last edited:
For me it will be 2 guys and 2 girls:

1. Michael Jackson
2. Shreya Ghoshal
3. Sonu Nigam
4. Shubha Mudgal

Sorry but Michael is really the only English speaking singer that I still really love. My mostly prefer musicians now are Indian singers.

Michael Jackson and The Beatles. There's enough room to fit in another head ;) :p

George Gershwin
Duke Ellington
Michael
And the last one I can't decide-I have 50 names running in my head and can't decide who I love more. I'll have to come back and edit.

Adding: Irving Berlin(this was really hard).

Last edited:
Bach
Beethoven
Mozart
Michael

or

Elvis (for what he did for rock & roll)
Lennon (to represent all the Beatles)
Madonna (the best selling female artist)
Michael

Thomas Dorsey
Sun Ra (without him, later acts like Earth Wind & Fire, Funkadelic, Outkast, etc. would be different, especially visually)
Celia Cruz
James Brown

Michael Jackson
Elvis Presley
Mariah Carey
Whitney Houston

1. Michael Jackson
2. Freddie Mercury
3. Luther Vandross
4. Diana Ross

analogue, you make me laugh. :D I'll have to think about this, but of course, Michael and Stevie are up there.

I'm still pondering, but I would add John Lennon up there with Michael and Stevie and...Madonna.

Last edited:
Michael Jackson
Freddie Mercury
Luther Vandross
Paul McCartney

There is not need for Mount Rushmore of Musicians. They should just build full sized HIStory statue:
Michael-Jackson-HIStory-Past-Present-and-Future-Book-I-Cover-michael-jackson-31568920-1726-1707.jpg

:D

Michael Jackson
Beyoncé
Chris Brown
Pharrell Williams :)

That's a tough one and my opinion would probably change at different times, but I'll go with two men and two women

Michael Jackson
David Bowie
Bjork
Stevie Nicks

1- Michael Jackson (obviously)
2- Freddie Mercury (the true King Of Rock IMO)
3- John Lennon (one of the greatest song writers and singers ever)
4- Tina Turner- IMO the true Queen Of Rock. She led the way for so many females.

I have always wanted to give David bowie a chance. What album would you recommend? That we could be heroes song is my jam. I absolutely love it

I don't know. Maybe start with a Best of first. He has one out now entitled Five Years (1969-1973). You can find it on Spotify along with much of his material.

My fave songs are: Five Years, Fame, Life on Mars?, Jump They Say, The Man Who Sold The World, Space Oddity, Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps).

Last edited:
Going to actual albums after all the great hits collections of his, you can not go wrong with the following

Hunky Dory 1971 (Art Rock/Psychedelic and Glam sound), Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars 1972 (Proto punk, Glam and straight rock), Station to Station 1976 (Funky and strung out), Low 1977 (Electronic Brian Eno Berlin Period), Lodger 1979, Scary Monsters and Supercreeps 1980 (Both post punk gender bending period), Lets Dance 1983 (If you like poppy hits), the Labyrinth soundtrack 1986.

Most essential - Heroes 1977 (Late), the best of his sparse Berlin period, Brian Eno sound, sparse songs and lyrics, David coming off the coke and hanging out with Iggy Pop, seriously way ahead of its time!

Most Bowie albums after 1983 are mixed, some good ones and some less good ones, all are worthwhile except both Tin Machine albums and the terrible Never let me down from 1987. The early albums, David Bowie 1967 is a piece of psychedelic sillyness and more comical than anything else, 1969's Space Oddity/David Bowie is mixed but again relies on the hippy stuff, 1970's Man who sold the world is good but not essential, there are some great cuts there like Width of a circle.

Pin Ups, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs and Young American are also good albums but are for the more adventorous Bowie fan (I don't have them). The live albums David Live and Stage are best avoided.

Bowie is one of my favourite artists and I really love encouraging anyone to get into his music. To me he is a lot like Prince for his musical virtuosity and prowess along with his chameleon like changes from album. Like Prince in the 1980s each album changed fromthe last and he experimented with a different sound and he evolved with each one in the 1970s.

Two essential hits sets are David Bowie 1969/1974 and 1974/1979 as they have alternative versions and covers of songs not on albums like "Can you see me" from 1974 with backing vocals by an unknown soul singer called Luther Vandross and Bowie's version of "It's so hard to be a saint in the city", "All the young dudes' and a disco version of John I am only dancing.

Last edited:
I don't know. Maybe start with a Best of first. He has one out now entitled Five Years (1969-1973). You can find it on Spotify along with much of his material.

My fave songs are: Five Years, Fame, Life on Mars?, Jump They Say, The Man Who Sold The World, Space Oddity, Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps).

Okay Thanks!

Well, ONLY one Musician should be on there and that is :blush: MICHAEL JACKSON :blush:

I would rather have a HERO Mount Rushmore though :cheeky:

Michael Jackson
Nelson Mandela
Martin Luther KING
Thomas Mesereau

Back