Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson (Excerpts on page 19)

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$240.00
Bubs said:
and more new books coming

Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson

Insightful and revealing biography of music icon’s incredible career — from the early studio sessions to his anguished final days — featuring exclusive interviews with Jackson’s closest collaborators, and a foreword by long-time friend, Matt Forger.

http://musicvita.com/making-michael-inside-the-career-of-michael-jackson/

0b6234_68846f9b52004abf9ee2b36393142a19.png_srz_p_443_674_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

I will start a new thread on this new book as it has nothing to do with Tavis's Book

https://twitter.com/mikesmallcombe1

Cornish Guardian ‏@CornishGuardian
Revealing new biography on the career of #MichaelJackson written by Bodmin author Mike Smallcombe is launched http://bit.ly/1ZU5JX6 #MJ

11200436-large.jpg

TODAY a revealing new biography on the career of pop icon Michael Jackson, written by Bodmin author Mike Smallcombe, is launched.

Making Michael delves deep inside the career of one of the most successful, enigmatic and controversial entertainers of all time.

It is a true labour of love, the product of over five years of exhaustive research into Jackson's career, personality and professional relationships.

As part of his research Mike interviewed over sixty of Jackson's associates including managers, lawyers, music executives, producers, musicians and engineers - many of whom are speaking about their experiences publicly for the first time - providing exclusive access to one of the biggest-selling recording artists in history.

Mike, a former Bodmin College student, twice travelled to Los Angeles, 'The Entertainment Capital of the World', to conduct some of these interviews face to face, and to get a feel for the city where Jackson made most of his music.

In California Mike met up with Matt Forger, one of Jackson's longest serving and most loyal collaborators, who contributed a foreword to the book.

Matt%20Forger%202.jpg

Making Michael takes readers into the studio with the King of Pop, charting the creation of record-breaking albums including Thriller, Bad, Dangerous and HIStory and the twists and turns that occurred along the way. Untold stories, revelations and secrets finally see the light of day as Jackson's career outside the studio is also examined.

Mike remains objective and doesn't shy away from exploring Jackson's ruthless traits, his addictions, his fall outs, the relentless pursuit of perfectionism, the financial chaos and those shocking final weeks.

We talked to Mike and asked him why he chose to take on such an enormous challenge.

Q: WHY DID YOU CHOOSE MICHAEL JACKSON, AND WHAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT THIS BOOK?

A: Well, the first question most people ask me when I speak about the book is, 'So are you a Michael Jackson fan'? The truth is, I couldn't have written this book if I wasn't inspired by his music.

After Michael's death, I discovered that there wasn't a book based solely on the 45-year career of a man many believe to be the greatest entertainer of all time. Most of the books that were available focused on the trials and the tribulations.

There were so many areas of Michael's career to explore, and several questions I wanted to find the answers to...how did Michael and his collaborators make these record-breaking albums...and what was Michael like as a person away from the public eye?

Others gaps included Michael's fall out with Sony Music, his movie dreams, his work in those secretive last five years of his life and the preparations for This Is It, the tour he was preparing for when he died.

The more I thought about it, the more confident I became that I could take on the challenge of writing this book which did not exist.

I knew I had to offer something completely new, to discover the man Michael's friends and associates knew, and to uncover the untold stories and secrets behind this enthralling, yet turbulent career. The Making of Michael.

Making Michael is available now from retailers online including Amazon (RRP £11.99 paperback, £1.99 e-book limited time) and can be ordered at bookstores.

For more information on the book, visit makingmichael.co.uk

Read more: http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Ne...tory-28020279-detail/story.html#ixzz3p8oB0c5e
Follow us: @cornishguardian on Twitter | cornishguardian on Facebook

Re: Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson

Currently reading this book. Greg Phillinganes was the one you came up with the bridge in Don't Stop Til' Get Enough.

Currently reading this book. Greg Phillinganes was the one you came up with the bridge in Don't Stop Til' Get Enough.
Is it good? Are you going to write a review for us?

Really curious about this book and if it's any good. I wonder what Joe Vogel's thoughts are on this..

I hope the book really focuses on MJ's genius and it's not just a platform for his collaborators to pat themselves on the back at the cost of reducing MJ, like the Xscape documentary. I don't like it for example, that the book basically claims that Brad Buxer wrote all of the music for Stranger in Moscow and Michael is just reduced to the lyrics. I don't know if it is the author's twist, but Brad actually did not claim that in that Brad 2x seminar:

Then Buxer goes on to talk about “Stranger in Moscow.” This song contains his biggest contribution of all the material he worked on with Michael, and Brad doesn’t hide that it means a lot to him. He reads the entire piece about the song from Joe Vogel’s book – the story of the song creation is well documented by now. Even though Buxer is not credited in the album liner notes, he actually is a co-author of the song and the one who came up with the chords. Buxer explains that he and Michael could work together in two different ways. Oftentimes, Michael already had the melody in his head, and Buxer’s job was to play that melody on the keyboard as Michael was “hearing” it and find an arrangement that fit the melody. Such was their work on “Heal the World,” “In the Back,” “Childhood,” “Beautiful Girl” and other songs. With “Stranger in Moscow” it was different: Michael asked Brad to play chords until he would hear something he liked, and Buxer came up with the now famous chord progression. Buxer says that the entire song was written in about 1.5-2 hours, and when it was finished, he couldn’t believe what had just happened. “I wanted to say something, like, ‘Wow, did we just write a song together?’” recalls Buxer. “But I didn’t.” He doesn’t hold a grudge about not being credited on the album. “Mistakes happen,” he says. “Michael was always very generous to me.” It’s clear that the experience itself is much more important to him than his name in the booklet.

Another thing Buxer mentions about “Stranger in Moscow” is the drum sound that was made out of MJ’s beatboxing samples by slicing and compressing his natural sounds. Buxer says that with Michael, he used beatbox-based drum sounds quite often because they sounded fantastic.

http://en.michaeljackson.ru/brad-x2-evening-brad-buxer/

So how did writing the music together become "Buxer wrote the music" in this book?

And would Brad have written this song without MJ saying "I like this chord that you are playing now"? Would that chord have developed into a song without MJ directing him? Most probably not. So IMO it's a bit rich to act like MJ almost had nothing to do with the song bar the lyrics.

And BTW, Buxer actually has more than one versions about how the chords for SIM were created. In the december issue of Black or White magazine he said Michael and he initially created the chords for the Sega Sonic game:

B&W: Can you clarify the rumor that Michael had in 1993 composed the music for Sonic 3 video game, for which you have been credited?

Buxer: I've never played the game so I do not know what tracks on which Michael and I have worked the developers have kept, but we did compose music for the game. Michael called me at the time for help on this project, and that's what I did.
And if he is not credited for composing the music, it's because he was not happy with the result sound coming out of the console. At the time, game consoles did not allow an optimal sound reproduction, and Michael found it frustrating. He did not want to be associated with a product that devalued his music...

B&W: One of the surprising things in this soundtrack is that you can hear the chords from Stranger in Moscow, which is supposed to have been composed later...

Buxer: Yes, Michael and I had composed those chords for the game, and it has been used as base for Stranger in Moscow. [...]

So which one is it then?

I don't have a problem with saying that Brad collaborated with MJ on SIM and perhaps should have been credited. But I have a problem with it when, apparently with each telling of the story Brad's role is bigger and bigger and Michael's is more and more reduced. And no one claimed this before MJ died, conveniently only after he is not able to answer any more. Again, I'd like to hope this is not Brad's fault but the author's, but either way it is worrying a bit re. this book. Will everything else be like this? The author sucking up to the collaborator he is talking to at the cost of reducing MJ's role in order to praise the collaborator?

I also see some borderline tabloid things already. Eg.:

EXTRACT #5 : MICHAEL AND MADONNA
October 17, 2015
Ever wonder what happened to Michael's ill-fated duet with Madonna on 'In the Closet'? Or if the pair were romantically linked? Today's book extract from Making Michael finds the answers.

MICHAEL AND MADONNA

After beginning work on ‘Remember the Time’ with Teddy Riley, Michael wrote a note with a list of songs he had at this stage, as he often did. On the note, he wrote ‘MA & MJ duet’, referring to his desire to collaborate with Madonna.

Michael dined with Madonna on a few occasions across March and April 1991. After being seen together on at least three occasions, the press rumoured that the pair were an item. During one conversation, Michael offered her to sing with him on one of his new song ideas, ‘In the Closet’. Like ‘Remember the Time’, Riley had already prepared the music track for what became ‘In the Closet’ before coming to Los Angeles. It was Brad Buxer’s favourite beat. “Teddy did some incredible work,” Buxer said. “I was in the studio with Bruce Swedien working on a song – it might have been ‘Will You Be There’ – and Michael and Teddy came in with a tape of ‘In the Closet’ and played it at top volume in the studio. It just blew Bruce and me away. It was just so good.” Michael added the missing melody and lyrics to Riley’s beat.

Madonna said what followed was ‘an experiment’. “He wanted to write a song with me and I was curious,” she said. “He played me a bit of music, it was a very unfinished track and he said that he wanted to call the song ‘In the Closet’, and I said, ‘Really’?”

Madonna was shocked that Michael wanted to write something with such a provocative title, and began writing words and getting ideas. “I presented them to him, and he didn’t like them,” she said. “I think all he wanted was a provocative title, and ultimately he didn’t want the content of the song to live up to the title.”

Engineer Rob Disner remembers Madonna visiting Michael at the studio on one occasion. “They spent a little while in his ‘private’ room in the back and then she left,” he recalls. “When I asked Michael later about her visit he said that she ‘scared’ him. I think we all speculated that she tried to make a ‘move’ on him but Michael never said. In any event, we never saw her again after that…”

One extremely credible source, who was in Michael’s camp at the time, remembers Michael telling him the pair had a brief sexual relationship. “Michael told me he took her home and that she wanted to have sex,” the source said. “He said that they did, but I don’t know if it’s true or not. But she’s never denied it.”

In May 1991, Madonna gave an interview to a magazine that seemed to all but end any hope of the pair ever collaborating. “I have this whole vision about Michael,” she said. “We’re considering working on a song together. I would like to completely redo his whole image, give him a Caesar – you know, that really short haircut – and I want to get him out of those buckly boots and all that stuff. What I want him to do is go to New York and hang out for a week with the House of Xtravaganza [a group of voguers]. They could give him a new style. I’ve already asked Jose [Guiterez] and Luis [Camacho] if they would do it. They’re thrilled and ready. I said, ‘Could you give this guy a make-over for me?’ Because I think that’s really what he needs.”

When asked if Michael was ‘up for it’, Madonna said, “I don’t know. He’s up for a couple of things that surprise me. The thing is, I’m not going to get together and do some stupid ballad or love duet – no one’s going to buy it, first of all. I said, ‘Look, Michael, if you want to do something with me, you have to be willing to go all the way or I’m not going to do it’.” Madonna seemed to be implying that if they were ever to collaborate in the future, the song would have to be more provocative than a ballad. The comments about Michael’s image, however, seemed to put an end to the idea for good.

Last edited:

Considering how those involved in toto worked on SIM and much the percussion etc sounds like their songs it serms they are having credit taken from them aswell?

As I read on another side, the book also claims - quoting Bill Bottrell - that MJ was "abusive" in the studio during BOTDF:

“I kicked around a bit and found the atmosphere chaotic and out of control. There were no adults, and lots of people working in different rooms. And Michael was in trouble. He was angry and abusive, and I shall forever regret leaving him that way. Forever.”

Moreover it perpetuates the myth that the HBO collapse was fake. This is claimed by Sandy Gallin apparently.

So the doctors lied and when eye witnesses said MJ just fell on his face during rehearsal they all lie as well?

I don't know, but I do not really like so far the direction this book seems to be heading towards. Even the title "Making Michael" suggests that this may have the agenda where MJ is once again portrayed as the puppet of some behind the scenes "geniuses" rather than him being the genius. So is this really a book about MJ or a book about celebrating his collaborators? We will see. I hope the first impression is wrong.

But at this point I almost wish people just stopped writing books about him. He is not here to have his say about these things, so inevitably everything told about him would end up being very one-sided. And who stops anyone from his collaborators to go on an ego-trip and claim credit for things they shouldn't? Anyone can say anything now, who can tell if it's the truth?

^^Respect, can you post the whole content why Bottrell says MJ being abusive?

Nevermind, its the little snippet from authors website.

“I kicked around a bit and found the atmosphere chaotic and out of control. There were no adults, and lots of people working in different rooms. And Michael was in trouble. He was angry and abusive, and I shall forever regret leaving him that way. Forever"

That doesn't make any sense anyway? No adults and lots of people working in different rooms? So to whom MJ was angry and abusive if there were no adults? Kids?

I need to read the whole content:scratch:

Last edited:

I am confuse too why would he say no adults? See this is something Wade would try to use to say Michael was abusive to kids because this person is saying no adults here and like Bubs said kids? See you have to be careful in what you say because this is what Wade is claiming that he was sexual abuse by Michael Jackson and Wade would try to use this in anyway he can to help his case.

I agree with Respect77 also ppls need to stop writing these books because the story is only one sided MJ is not here to say if this is true. Just like with this Wade case the same thing we are only hearing one sided of the story so how do we know this is true?

Last edited:

^ I'm pretty sure Bottrell did not mean child abuse, it does not even seem like that from the context, so let's not turn this into that. It seems to me he says MJ was angry and abusive with the people he worked with. Or with Bill himself. The "abuse" in this context seems to have to do with anger, not with sexual abuse of anyone, so let's not take it there. Still, it is a weird thing to say about MJ. Everyone always described him as nice, kind, polite - never as an angry, abusive individual.

BTW, it doesn't even make sense:

There were no adults, and lots of people working in different rooms.

If there were no adults then who were working in different rooms? LOL.

i hope you are right and he does not mean to say that that why you have to be careful with your words and how you ues them

Keys words here chaotic and out of control. A person who is not a Michael Jackson fan will look at that a different way.

Last edited:

I have no idea what he's talking about here but I'm picturing one of those studios where a lot of producers were in various rooms and competing against each other.
And no adults means no one in control. Everyone running around like "chickens with their heads cut off". It's not literal.

I'm sure Michael could get angry-but I have no clue what the situation is here.

True i agree with you on this.

I don't know if I could. I've never written one before.
It doesn't have to be formal. Just tell us what you thought of it-give us some scenes that you liked or didn't like. Anything particularly interesting or not.
That kind of thing.

I know - MJ being angry at losing food fight or throwing cakes, thus the atmosphere was chaotic and out of control?

When he says no adults.. I took that as no one was acting like adults.. As in everyone was just wild and loud and not taking work serious "like children"..

Even the title "Making Michael" suggests that this may have the agenda where MJ is once again portrayed as the puppet of some behind the scenes "geniuses" rather than him being the genius. So is this really a book about MJ or a book about celebrating his collaborators? We will see. ?

This is what I thought as well when I saw the title of book. It`s about the genius of the collaborators who created the sucess of Michael.

I wouldnt get to wound up at the end of the day the only ppl who will read this are a handful of mj fans. and thats if the author is lucky. i doubt most mj fans care about this book let alone anyone else. it can be just added to the shelf collecting dust with all the others

It doesn't sound like Michael. He doesn't give credit for someone then gives credit when is not expected?

Angry Michael in the studio doesn't sound right either
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4772172-post791.html

Somebody read the book and tell us what was angry Michael about?

Anyone can get angry, even the most peaceful person, I take issues with the word "abusive". Abusive is a strong word. Abusive is someone who beats or harrasses another person.

adjective: abusive

I really don't see MJ as such. I guess Bill just threw the word around too lightly.

It doesn't have to be formal. Just tell us what you thought of it-give us some scenes that you liked or didn't like. Anything particularly interesting or not.
That kind of thing.

I'll just make short key points then.

*Greg P. created the bridge section on DSTYGE

*MJ came up with the guitar riff for BoW (much to my surprise)

*"Much Too Soon" the posthumous release is different from the original version.

*Jerry Hey was not given songwriting credits for "Speed Demon" at the behest of MJ.

Not much though. I heard one of the 90's mixes, it's very similar to the version that leaked before the album release.

Does this book available for kindle version?? its says only for uk customers..

Regarding Much Too Soon I'd be much more interested if there are differences between the song that was copyrighted in the early 80s and the 90s version.

I'll just make short key points then.

*Greg P. created the bridge section on DSTYGE

*MJ came up with the guitar riff for BoW (much to my surprise)

*Jerry Hey was not given songwriting credits for "Speed Demon" at the behest of MJ.
So is it true that the title "Making Michael" is the story of the collaborators? Sounds like it from this.

Wasn't that the title of Joseph's book?

What was he angry about?

Will we ever have a book that actually focuses on MJ's genius and presents why he was a genius? Sorry but I don't care about MJ's collaborators trying to make themselves out to be the stars, if this is what the book is about. I'd like to read a book that focuses on MJ's working method, his writing method etc. Like when that Beat It demo went viral and people were so impressed and so surprised - because this is the part that the media for some reason never presents.

"Making Michael" is such an arrogant title anyway. None of these people "made" Michael. Michael made himself before they even met him. Ugh, next.

But then maybe we will have to wait for a more comprehensive review before the final judgement on this book.

As for the whole who is given credit for what thing. MJ could have been credited for You Are Not Alone, but he wasn't. According to Rob Hoffman:

You Are Not Alone was kind of a basic R&B groove with a verse and chorus. The rest of the arrangement came from MJ, and lots of overdubs by Steve Porcaro with programming by Andrew Scheps. I like to think R. Kelly's subsequent success with ballads came from watching what MJ did with his initial track idea.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-...orked-michael-jacksons-dangerous-album-4.html

But only R. Kelly is credited with that song.

If we wanna get nit picky about credits MJ also could have claimed co-credit for P.Y.T. because even though the song was changed drastically but he came up with the title and the idea. And didn't he also contribute something to Man In The Mirror?

Last edited:

I'd rather hear from the man himself

I wouldnt get to wound up at the end of the day the only ppl who will read this are a handful of mj fans. and thats if the author is lucky. i doubt most mj fans care about this book let alone anyone else. it can be just added to the shelf collecting dust with all the others

Have read it?

Back