Back to the Future

SkyWalk

Proud Member
Watched this for first time yesterday (I know good timing) and didn't know Michael was in it. 'Holographic' MJ in 2015 at the 80's bar which was predicted right and posters all over that bedroom. Nice one!

Last edited:
So you watched part 2... Congratulations. You just discovered one of the best movie (series) in history :)

What about part 1? There is also something MJ related in part 3...

'Holographic' MJ in 2015 at the 80's bar which was predicted right

That computer generated Michael Jackson on the screen is not a hologram. The only hologram you see in that part of the film is the Jaws 19 shark :p

What they did not predict is the whole digital era - the Internet, smart phones and all their implications. More than flying cars that is what really defines the world in 2015.

respect77;4112862 said:
What they did not predict is the whole digital era - the Internet, smart phones and all their implications. More than flying cars that is what really defines the world in 2015.

As a matter of fact Respect, the writer talked about this a few days ago! [Source]

'Back to the Future' Screenwriter: I Never Could Have Predicted Smartphones

bob_gale_0.jpg

Bob Gale

"Part of what makes the movie still so watchable, even as goofy as some of the stuff is, is that everybody understands that we're having fun with it," said Bob Gale, screenwriter and co-producer of the trilogy.

Of all the futuristic ideas screenwriter Bob Gale came up with for Back to the Future Part II, there is one piece of modern technology he never imagined possible in 1989: the smartphone. "It's the Swiss Army Knife of today," he said. "The fact that everyone can have one device that's a computer, that's a camera, that's a recording device, that's a calculator, that's a flashlight ... we didn't think of that."

In an interview with THR on the Universal Studios backlot, Gale talked about the future he and director Robert Zemeckis envisioned for their character Marty McFly, who will arrive on Oct. 21, 2015, according to the film. Some of the ideas for gadgets were just the Oscar-nominated pair goofing around — like the food hydrator — but other inventions Gale knew would be a reality in the not-too-distant future, he said.

Added Gale, "I would have bet that the flat-screen TV and the Skype-like communication — I would have put money that we would have that." Gale, a co-producer of the trilogy, also knew that people in 2015 would be nostalgic for the '80s, he said. "You're always going to be nostalgic about what happened 30 years ago."

In recent years, there has been a push to develop the technology seen in the film, especially hover boards and power shoelaces. Just in the past week, Pepsi announced it will make a limited-edition bottle from the film, and Universal released a fake trailer for Jaws 19.

Gale is happy his art has inspired reality, but he said he is shocked some inventions that were gags then actually exist now. "The fact that we have drones that can take news pictures — now that was just a joke," he said. "We weren't seriously thinking about how that technology would work, but wow," said Gale. "They don't walk our dogs yet, but that'll happen."

There was one aspect of the future that Gale and Zemeckis purposely avoided: the music. "That was a very deliberate choice," said Gale. "That was one we knew we would get wrong and that when people would watch the movie much later on, it would make everyone groan."

Stars Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd never balked at any of the futuristic ideas during production, said Gale. "Part of what makes the movie still so watchable, even as goofy as some of the stuff is, is that everybody understands that we're having fun with it," said Gale. "We're not saying, 'We're going to seriously try to predict what life is going to be like in the year 2015,' no."

As for the technology Gale wishes existed — that's fusion energy, he said. "That would mean that we would have limitless energy that would be extraordinarily cheap," he said. "That would solve so many problems in the world, but I don't think that's going to happen."

Now that 2015 has arrived, Gale is thinking about what technology will exist in the next 30 years. "We've got a serious doctor shortage that is on the horizon," he said, "but when we're able to have devices at clinics or even at home that can instantly analyze your blood, take your vital signs, do a retinal scan right there ... they'll be able to do a better diagnosis with all this equipment than a regular doctor would be able to do."

The Back to the Future 30th Anniversary Edition comes to Blu-Ray and DVD on Oct. 20.

MJF does the moonwalk and sings a bit of Billie Jean in part III

That part was so great, lol. Michael (as in Jackson) was actually listed in the "Special Thanks" part of the credits for Part 3. :yes:

If I remember correctly, Michael was a fan of the movies. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand it in behind the scenes, you know how much Michael loved the movie industry.

One of my favourite movies of all time. All 3 parts are great.

didn't know Michael was in it. 'Holographic' MJ in 2015 at the 80's bar which was predicted right and posters all over that bedroom. Nice one!

That computer generated Michael Jackson on the screen is not a hologram....

This is actually played by E Casanova, MJ's #1 impersonator and good friend of his.

I love the Future part with the Nike MAG shoes and the Pepsi Perfect. And especially when Beat It comes in! Definitely the best part of all 3 movies.

I wanna pay Tribute to MJ and E Casanova who played him in the Cafe 80's scene.

I can't seem to upload pics...

Last edited:
This is actually played by E Casanova, MJ's #1 impersonator and good friend of his.

I love the Future part with the Nike MAG shoes and the Pepsi Perfect. And especially when Beat It comes in! Definitely the best part of all 3 movies.

I wanna pay Tribute to MJ and E Casanova who played him in the Cafe 80's scene. But sadly I can't add pictures on here?
Anyone know why?

Likely because you just joined and are a junior member. Once you get 10 posts out of the way, you'll be promoted to normal member and you can do everything we can :)

Also wow, didn't know that! I was wondering what they did to get Michael and Ronald Reagan on screen (I said "Computer generated" earlier, but I was referring it to an 'in-universe' point of view, like if that was real life I imagine'd they'd be CGI models and not actual footage of MJ/Reagan).

"In 2015, a video simulacrum of Jackson appeared in the Cafe 80's, instructing viewers about their choices for the diner's specials. The simulacrum's appearance seems to be based on Jackson's appearance in his human form during the Thriller short film from 1983. Jackson's song "Beat It" can be heard playing in the Cafe during Marty's initial confrontation with Griff Tannen."

"When Marty returned from 2015 to 1985A, the alternate timeline where Biff Tannen was rich and powerful, he found that his bedroom was occupied by Loretta. Had he not had to flee the house immediately, he may have noticed that Loretta was a Jackson fan, with posters from two of his albums: a large Thriller poster adorned the outside of the door, while a smaller Off the Wall poster could be seen on the bedroom wall behind the door. The alteration of the timeline apparently did not prevent Jackson from recording his 1979 album Off the Wall and his 1982 album Thriller, although the content of those recordings would not necessarily have been the same as it would be in the restored 1985."

"In commentary to the DVD of Part II, Bob Gale noted that "Michael Jackson was a big fan of the first Back to the Future, so he was very co-operative and generous in letting us use his... re-create his likeness and use his music in this."

Nice to know, thnx ??
But it actually says I can't upload images from the app. Yet on other threads it is possible.

That's right. Every MJ cameo or impression in a major movie had to be approved bin MJ. He'd also let The Simpsons use his image. Even though he was doing the voice himself he'd let Kipp Lennon do his singing.

Last edited:
But it actually says I can't upload images from the app. Yet on other threads it is possible.

Wouldn't know about the app, sorry. I just use Safari when I'm on my iPhone and it works great for me :)

When I saw the second part in 2007, if I'm not mistaken, the part where MJ on the bar 80's, well, E Cassanova, also the scene of the 1985 alternate, where in the bedroom of the girl, there are several posters of MJ, oh and also add the Moonwalk and the little singing of Michael J. Fox, who did very well, actually doing for me, the best movie trilogy

When I saw the second part in 2007, if I'm not mistaken, the part where MJ on the bar 80's, well, E Cassanova, also the scene of the 1985 alternate, where in the bedroom of the girl, there are several posters of MJ, oh and also add the Moonwalk and the little singing of Michael J. Fox, who did very well, actually doing for me, the best movie trilogy

Correct. Those were short but cool MJ moments in BTTF

BTTF 2 : E Casanova as MJ in cafe 80's
5546dd217470e78b445811c3e238a26f.jpg

BTTF 2 alternate 1985:
Various MJ posters in bedroom
dc37dd0f1ed4581ff952644a60bd3c63.jpg

1e16a86ec4e133018341bfa8ef051da6.jpg

758a12a086b60e9780c0f5f0ed14116e.jpg

BTTF 3 : MJ Fox Moonwalking
8b87023671e27b8124ae2608a5a61b30.jpg

;-)
e3c288928f7aa7215a55a87c6b252d20.jpg

Correct. Those were short but cool MJ moments in BTTF

BTTF 2 : E Casanova as MJ in cafe 80's
5546dd217470e78b445811c3e238a26f.jpg

BTTF 2 alternate 1985:
Various MJ posters in bedroom
dc37dd0f1ed4581ff952644a60bd3c63.jpg

1e16a86ec4e133018341bfa8ef051da6.jpg

758a12a086b60e9780c0f5f0ed14116e.jpg

BTTF 3 : MJ Fox Moonwalking
8b87023671e27b8124ae2608a5a61b30.jpg

;-)
e3c288928f7aa7215a55a87c6b252d20.jpg

Wait? Why did they give him that rubber like makeup when he looks like the guy already ?

Wait? Why did they give him that rubber like makeup when he looks like the guy already ?

I guess it had to look 'animated'! They als made the voice malfunction a bit. Clearly it had to look and sound artificial!
They did the same with Reagan.

I guess it had to look 'animated'! They als made the voice malfunction a bit. Clearly it had to look and sound artificial!
They did the same with Reagan.

Reagan and MJ were done like that to simulate Max Headroom.

Back