Michael's Career After Thriller

Bringing Brighter Days

Proud Member
What "agenda"? One doesn't have to be a fan to be aware.

The medias agenda. It had been pushed for along time by some outlets about mjs supposed lack of success after bad. hence also the actions of some outets to try and reduce mjs work on the jones produced albums .the same agenda were u would see articles written about mj where mills if not tens of mills of copies suddenly were taken off record sales inorder to downplay his success.its a running theme that has been around for many years.hence the other posters concern about the lack (possibly) of post bad documentries

if we are always gonna talk about what the american media did, we need to talk about media from all across the globe, because after Thriller, as a whole, his sales declined internationally too

Thriller sales 47 million copies worldwide during its initial run from 1982-1984, selling 25 million copies in America and 22 million copies internationally

Bad sold 25 million copies worldwide during its initial run from 1987-1989, selling 6-8 million copies in America and 17-19 million copies internationally

Dangerous sold 20 million copies during its initial run from 1991-1993, selling 4-6 million copies in America, and 14-16 million copies internationally

HIstory sold 15 million copies worldwide (when counting the dual discs as a single copy), selling 3-5 million copies in America, and 10-12 million copies internationally

From Thriller to Bad, by 1989, before the 90s arrived, he already lost half his fanbase, it doesn't take media outlets to point that out, the actual record sales tell the story itself

the reason why he did the Oprah interview was to boost sales of Dangerous, there was no other reason than that, by the summer of 92, the album had already fallen out of the Billboard top 100 spot, leading him to do that interview and schedule a number of public appearances to boost sales, performing at the 93 Superbowl, attending the 93 Grammys and the 93 NAACP Awards, agreeing for the Jackson's American Dream TV movie special to air at the end of 92

the media can not be blamed for everything

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

oh they were definitely equal from the music perspective, not the dancing, or the videos, but the music yes

I meant equal in contribution to Michael's albums. I think Michael contributed more than Quincy did. Quincy, Rod and Bruce were all essential parts, but I think MJ deserves the biggest credit.

because you had the greatest artist in the recording history, and the greatest producer, composer, and arranger in the history of the recording industry (which he already became the best in his craft by the turn of the 1970s), both men made history together

Yeah, but Quincy never composed anything for Michael (except that he co-wrote P.Y.T. with James Ingram). He did the production and arrangements. But like I said everything starts with a great song.

Yeah that sucks. Watcha gonna do?

Nothing. I'm fine with that.

if we are always gonna talk about what the american media did, we need to talk about media from all across the globe, because after Thriller, as a whole, his sales declined internationally too

Thriller sales 47 million copies worldwide during its initial run from 1982-1984, selling 25 million copies in America and 22 million copies internationally

Bad sold 25 million copies worldwide during its initial run from 1987-1989, selling 6-8 million copies in America and 17-19 million copies internationally

Dangerous sold 20 million copies during its initial run from 1991-1993, selling 4-6 million copies in America, and 14-16 million copies internationally

HIstory sold 15 million copies worldwide (when counting the dual discs as a single copy), selling 3-5 million copies in America, and 10-12 million copies internationally

From Thriller to Bad, by 1989, before the 90s arrived, he already lost half his fanbase, it doesn't take media outlets to point that out, the actual record sales tell the story itself

the reason why he did the Oprah interview was to boost sales of Dangerous, there was no other reason than that, by the summer of 92, the album had already fallen out of the Billboard top 100 spot, leading him to do that interview and schedule a number of public appearances to boost sales, performing at the 93 Superbowl, attending the 93 Grammys and the 93 NAACP Awards, agreeing for the Jackson's American Dream TV movie special to air at the end of 92

Are you telling us that sales=quality?

Because then let me ask: How many albums did Quincy sell without MJ?

People can go back and forth about what the united states media did to Michaels image and we can pull up all the facts we want about sales going down in one place and another... It is true that his acceptance went down over the years (especially after allegations) but one thing that cannot be measured is how much the American media agenda effected sales outside of the U.S. which it has.. If someone's HOME is spreading a fictitious negative image out why would the world not pick up on that?

The U.S. plays a huge part in how Michael is seen, and they still be little his effect on music culture and entertainment... And more than Michaels eccentricities are a trigger point U.S. had/has to do that.. The fact of the matter is, the fact he was a black man will always make the United States put Elvis and the Beatles above Michael..

There is more James Dean memorabilia in the united states than Michael Jackson... Why? Because the white stars are glorified more. James Dean did not have this illustrious career yet he's memorialized along side of Elvis and Marilyn Monroe...

Because then let me ask: How many albums did Quincy sell without MJ?

what I'm saying is, all of his subsequent albums after Thriller would have sold more than what they did if he had continued approaching his career in the same manner he did with OTW and Thriller

as far as Quincy Jones, goes, he was not the artist he was the producer and he still thrived well into the mid 90s working w/other artists in the field, and continued receiving critical acclaim

the thing is, Quincy Jones has never ever said his greatest years, most successful period did not occur with Michael

the issue is, the new narrative suggest MJ was even more successful musically after his work with Quincy when the facts does not prove that

did MJ make accomplished music after Thriller?.....no question he did, it would be bias and unfair to suggest otherwise

but his greatest success occurred with Quincy Jones and it doesn't take the media, the public, or fans to try and prove it

In my opinion the success of Dangerous dismisses a lot of the "Quincy Jones albums" being highest success... You pin BAD and DANGEROUS against each other, we can bring stats that show success topping each other... That says A LOT about Dangerous especially considering what was going on in 1993.. You better believe that Dangerous would have been even more successful if what happened in 1993 never happened..

Was Michael pulled away from his black audience?

From Thriller to Bad, by 1989, before the 90s arrived, he already lost half his fanbase

I wouldn't call all the people who bought Thriller album his fan base. That would equal that for example Adele now has 14 million fans because she sold that many albums. That is just regular record buying public. They buy what's hot at the moment. I doubt MJ lost that many fans in that period (he did lose some because of the media persecution after he bought The Beatles catalogue and because his skin became lighter without him giving them an explanation, but definitely he did not lose half of his fan base).

I don't think he meant that. I think he meant that sales=fan base.

I don't think the lower sales necessarily mean that he lost his fanbase. Thriller just sold so much that there was no way that the albums after that could beat it. It just sold so much.

I wouldn't call all the people who bought Thriller album his fan base. That would equal that for example Adele now has 14 million fans because she sold that many albums. That is just regular record buying public. They buy what's hot at the moment.
Which is like other big albums such as Born In The USA (Bruce Springsteen), Rumours (Fleetwood Mac) Purple Rain (Prince & The Revolution), Jagged Little Pill (Alanis Morrisette), self titled aka Black Album (Metallica), Come Away With Me (Norah Jones), etc. Those acts never had any other album that had the same success. Whitney Houston had 3 albums that sold big though, the first 2 and the Bodyguard Soundtrack and maybe Def Leppard's 1980s albums too.

what I'm saying is, all of his subsequent albums after Thriller would have sold more than what they did if he had continued approaching his career in the same manner he did with OTW and Thriller

There is no proof it would have. Actually Thriller is the stand out here in terms of sales otherwise Bad and Dangerous sold at about the same range as Off The Wall (and Bad and Dangerous were more popular globally than OTW). HIStory came out after the allegations and no one's career will go through such allegations without loss in popularity. Then there is the natural process of an artist's popularity wearing off after a huge success and a shift of trends in music (hip-hop, grunge taking over etc) - most artists go through that no matter if their strategy is trying to repeat the runaway success album or on the contrary. Bruce Springsteen never had a nearly as successful album any more as Born in the USA. Prince never had a nearly as successful album again as Purple Rain. I could go on.

as far as Quincy Jones, goes, he was not the artist he was the producer and he still thrived well into the mid 90s working w/other artists in the field, and continued receiving critical acclaim

Michael also still thrived without Quincy. The 80s albums are great but I am glad MJ made that decision to switch and try new things instead of getting stuck and trying to repeat himsef.

the issue is, the new narrative suggest MJ was even more successful musically after his work with Quincy when the facts does not prove that

No one said such a thing. That's just your twist. You seem to feel personally offened every time someone says they don't consider the Quincy albums MJ's best albums. Well, different people, different tastes.

but his greatest success occurred with Quincy Jones and it doesn't take the media, the public, or fans to try and prove it

And what is your point? No one disputes Thriller is MJ's most successful album. It's the most successful album ever after all. That does not mean other albums should not get the same attention, nor does it mean that other MJ albums cannot appeal more to some people than Thriller.

But at this point I am not sure what's your actual argument. Not long ago you opposed the Thriller documentary on the basis that everyone knows it already and there is nothing new to tell about it. Then you replied something to elusive moonwalker's post that to me sounds irrelevant to what she actually said. She did not claim that the post-Quincy albums were more successful than the Quincy ones (that's just your twist). She simply said that the post Quincy albums were also pretty successful. Not Thriller successful obviously but they had success. They were #1, they sold many millions of coipes etc. That is a fact. No one claimed they were more successful than Thriller, so your sales number comparations with Thriller are irrelevant here.

Also not everyone measures it in sales numbers whether an album is interesting or not.

The bigger point is simply that post-Quincy albums deserve attention as well - and actually you seemed to agree with that point when you made the argument that Thriller doesn't need a documentary because it was so successful. Fine. Then you basically agree: let's focus on the post Quincy albums then, don't you?

To me personally it does not really matter. I will embrace a Thriller documentary just the same as a HIStory documentary. I'm interested in both. I don't like it when the Q albums are pitted vs. the non-Q albums because they are ALL a part of MJ's discography the same way. I do get why some fans are frustrated about the post 80s albums not getting their due credit. I remember this documentary, The One, back in the 2000s and they went through MJ's career but stopped at Bad. All they mentioned about Dangerous was Black or White and they did not mention HIStory AT ALL! That was frustrating. So in this way, yes the post 80s albums are underrepresented, the general public probably has a lot less information about them. So in that way a documentary is probably more needed about them. But you basically agree with that point when you say Thriller doesn't need documentaries because it is so huge in itself. Then it should not be a problem for you if the next docu is about HIStory or Dangerous.

I don't think he meant that. I think he meant that sales=fan base.

And how is it relevant to what elusive moonwalker wrote? EM did not make the claim that MJ's fan base or sales were bigger in the 90s than during Thriller, so I don't see the point of the statistics BBD threw in here. No one disputed that Thriller is MJ's best selling album and was the commercially most successful period of his career. But how is it relevant to the point that other MJ albums had success as well and should be featured in documentaries as well?

Last edited:

I wouldn't call all the people who bought Thriller album his fan base. That would equal that for example Adele now has 14 million fans because she sold that many albums. That is just regular record buying public. They buy what's hot at the moment. I doubt MJ lost that many fans in that period (he did lose some because of the media persecution after he bought The Beatles catalogue and because his skin became lighter without him giving them an explanation, but definitely he did not lose half of his fan base).

Adele and what she is doing is not the same with MJ and what he was doing.......

Thriller was not an accident......especially after he was dropping one unforgettable highmark after the other.....if you take away the videos, the album still stands on its own merit........first you had Motown 25, then you had the Beat It video, then you had all the top 10 singles, then you had Human Nature, then you had the Thriller Video...Thriller stood on teh shoulders of what Off The Wall had accomplished which is his 2nd greatest selling album

it was bigger than what's hot at the moment, that album was the culmination of all the creative input that had generated over a 15 year period with Michael, and all the musicians and studio singers involved w/the project and I'm sure MIchael Jackson himself never felt it was just a hot at the moment record

as far as the Beatles catalogue, most people didn't even know he bought it until well into the 90s

losing half his fanbase was not associated w/that catalog

if you sale 47 million with one album and the very next you sell 25 million, that means you lost 22 million, which is as close to half as you can get

and quiet as its kept, in regards to the media, in the grand scheme, they did not really bring up the subject of his lightened complexion until after the Black or White video appeared.....and specially when he himself recited the words "I'm not gonna spend my life being a color"

he thought after Bad, if he became a exclusive international artists, he thought he would be able to compensate for the sale support he lost in his home country, and when it became clear that wasn't going to happen, that's why he did the Oprah interview

and if he had not lost that number of fan support, there's a very good chance that he would have ever given an explanation at all

Last edited:
Was Michael pulled away from his black audience?

if you sale 47 million with one album and the very next you sell 25 million, that means you lost 22 million, which is as close to half as you can get

and quiet as its kept, in regards to the media, in the grand scheme, they did not really bring up the subject of his lightened complexion until after the Black or White video appeared.....and specially when he himself recited the words "I'm not gonna spend my life being a color"
I'd beg to differ about the media not bringing it up until the "Black or White video"-starting with the summer of 85 and the first hyperbaric chamber story, all you read about and people told me about were Michael changing his look-he wasn't black anymore, he was trying to look exactly like Diana Ross, blah, blah. People were ragging on him for not doing anything for the community, (which was so untrue), that he was wealthy, reclusive and out of touch-hence, the attempt to get back to his roots with the BAD video. I heard all that junk on the news and in the papers and it was parroted by my co-workers.

There are tons of videos of reporters asking fans at the Bad Tour about his changed looks, one even calls him a 'universal beige."

I'd beg to differ about the media not bringing it up until the "Black or White video"-starting with the summer of 85 and the first hyperbaric chamber story, all you read about and people told me about were Michael changing his look-he wasn't black anymore, he was trying to look exactly like Diana Ross, blah, blah. People were ragging on him for not doing anything for the community, (which was so untrue), that he was wealthy, reclusive and out of touch-hence, the attempt to get back to his roots with the BAD video. I heard all that junk on the news and in the papers and it was parroted by my co-workers.

There are tons of videos of reporters asking fans at the Bad Tour about his changed looks, one even calls him a 'universal beige."

that was spoken by the sensible minded press, or media journalists who put the human toll over the entertainment value and that was a dime a dozen, but commercial media representatives didn't say a word about it

the hyperbaric chamber story was started by him as he sold that picture of himself in that hyperbaric chamber to the National Enquirer and earned half a million dollar whop off of it.......

as far as the "international beige" comment, that was spoken by a british journalist right after Bad was released

^You don't happen to know a chap named PG13 by any chance?

that was spoken by the sensible minded press, or media journalists who put the human toll over the entertainment value and that was a dime a dozen, but commercial media representatives didn't say a word about it

the hyperbaric chamber story was started by him as he sold that picture of himself in that hyperbaric chamber to the National Enquirer and earned half a million dollar whop off of it.......

as far as the "international beige" comment, that was spoken by a british journalist right after Bad was released

I'm sure that the hydrobaric chamber story was put out there by Michael's people (although I never heard they got any money for it) and that was a silly thing that was supposed to generate interest in Captain EO and NORMALLY that story would have crashed and died within 24 hours. It just kept up and up with Bubbles, the llamas, and especially his looks-this video that you posted proved that it was talked about by the media long before 'Black or White'-
and while I was watching it, I was remembering the news reports from CBS itself, which happened to pop up after this video ended. CBS is mainstream press-which also owned his record label.

I'm not saying it was strictly the press, but they did play a HUGE part in it-long before 'Black or White.' What always got me is that people would fall for and believe these stories. And still do today, obviously.

I'm sure that the hydrobaric chamber story was put out there by Michael's people (although I never heard they got any money for it) and that was a silly thing that was supposed to generate interest in Captain EO and NORMALLY that story would have crashed and died within 24 hours. It just kept up and up with Bubbles, the llamas, and especially his looks-this video that you posted proved that it was talked about by the media long before 'Black or White'-
and while I was watching it, I was remembering the news reports from CBS itself, which happened to pop up after this video ended. CBS is mainstream press-which also owned his record label.

I'm not saying it was strictly the press, but they did play a HUGE part in it-long before 'Black or White.' What always got me is that people would fall for and believe these stories. And still do today, obviously.

Michael's people didn't initiate the planting of that story, he initiated it just as he did about wanting to buy the elephant man's bones. He didn't havr to resort to such tactics to generate publicity about any aspect of his career

Everything starts with the source

As far as the clip, when it came to the issue of plastic surgery, they weren't talking about plastic surgery just for the sake of it, but talks about the human toll and how that was being overlooked

Michael's people didn't initiate the planting of that story, he initiated it just as he did about wanting to buy the elephant man's bones. He didn't havr to resort to such tactics to generate publicity about any aspect of his career

Everything starts with the source

As far as the clip, when it came to the issue of plastic surgery, they weren't talking about plastic surgery just for the sake of it, but talks about the human toll and how that was being overlooked
I'll have to agree to disagree about the plastic surgery-first half of this clip is exactly that-it's not until the end that they talk about the "human toll".

It all starts with the source? So you sound like you think he sabotaged his own career.
And whether it was Michael or DiLeo or the two of them in cahoots over these stories, it doesn't matter. No, he didn't have to resort to such tactics but I don't think they understood just how BIG he was-or that after Motown 25 he was considered almost from the moon itself-in other words, he had already crossed over to icon territory and I don't think they realized that and they especially didn't realize that people would just read this stuff and automatically believe it. I remember at the time I was pretty astonished over it-I had always loved Michael, but suddenly every single solitary person I knew or met was talking about him. And I remember being equally astonished that people were believing NE stories.

Last edited:

^^a high school principal?? Holding a National Enquirer??? That's exactly the kind of bizarro insanity I'm talking about.
Never mind that 15 years later Tiger Woods actually had one in his house for training purposes. No one blinked an eye.

I'm talking about adult people going insane suddenly over this kid and telling and repeating stories that were frankly things I was dying laughing over. I honestly thought people had lost their minds.
No wonder Michael himself had trouble dealing with it-totally unprecedented.

^^a high school principal?? Holding a National Enquirer??? That's exactly the kind of bizarro insanity I'm talking about.
Never mind that 15 years later Tiger Woods actually had one in his house for training purposes. No one blinked an eye.

I'm talking about adult people going insane suddenly over this kid and telling and repeating stories that were frankly things I was dying laughing over. I honestly thought people had lost their minds.
No wonder Michael himself had trouble dealing with it-totally unprecedented.

But he himself planted the stories though

And its not an issue where every single person out there believed the stories, the problem was the stories being planted bringing the wrong type of attention to himself, when those type of tactics were never needed for a public figure of his stature

It was that people believed it but how baffling it was

But it was Michael Jackson who told his camp he wanted his life and career to be like P.T. Barnum, the greatest show on earth

The tabloids and entertainment circles took that, ran with it and his life became a publuc spectacle

And when the media gets the upper hand, you're done

If he had not went that route, the media never would have been able to get to him

Of course they would have. The press media never needed him to initiate anything. He could walked around doing everything exactly the way he should have, but if they wanted to get him they would have found a way. Their very good at that. And there is no excuse for the vicious attacks they leveled on him throughout his life.

And its not an issue where every single person out there believed the stories, the problem was the stories being planted bringing the wrong type of attention to himself, when those type of tactics were never needed for a public figure of his stature

But it was Michael Jackson who told his camp he wanted his life and career to be like P.T. Barnum, the greatest show on earth

The tabloids and entertainment circles took that, ran with it and his life became a publuc spectacle

If he had not went that route, the media never would have been able to get to him
where you get that from? I don't believe any of that is true

Of course they would have. The press media never needed him to initiate anything. He could walked around doing everything exactly the way he should have, but if they wanted to get him they would have found a way. Their very good at that. And there is no excuse for the vicious attacks they leveled on him throughout his life.

I never said it was right for commercial media to issue the level if attacks they made against without understanding the root of the problem as their overzealous exacerbated it

Michael Jordan to this day is the most recognized sports figure around the globe some 13 years retired, been the most popular athlete on the planet since the early 90s which is why Jackson featured Jordan in his video Jam

Whenever the media tried to get Jordan, they couldn't get to him and never did because he seperated his professional life from his private life

Michael Jackson attempted to merge both and it never worked

Last edited:

It is true, read The Magic and Madness and you will know :)

:lol: holy shit that's hilarious :rofl: so you believe the tabloids too?? wait, you believe that book, so you obviously do :lmao:

where you get that from? I don't believe any of that is true

According to his manger at the time, Frank Dileo, those stories were given the go ahead by MJ.

I am sorry but you are starting to be a bit like a broken record with these posts. You keep repeating these same posts in each conversation that you participate in, no matter what the actual topic is. We get it, you appreciate the Quincy Jones albums more than anything else in MJ's career, you are a huge fan of Quincy Jones and you think MJ should have stayed with him and should not have planted stories about himself and then everything would be rosy and he would have continued to sell albums in Thriller range amount. I don't agree, IMO you have a very simplicistic view of these issues, but I think everyone gets your point already, can we move on from this? Or if you want to keep discussing this then please create a seperate thread for it.

Ok, this is a bit O/T, but has Adele's new album already reached 15 million in sales? I hope it doesn't catch up to Thriller.
Michael deserves to hold that record for eternity.

She is nowhere near to Thriller, nor is she on the path of catching up with it. The 15 million is global that's at the very least 50 million off Thriller (even using the cautious estimation for Thriller). In the US she sold around 8 million she should sell another 22 million to catch up with Thriller. She won't. Today's album sales, including hers, are very frontloaded and her sales already slowed down to what is normal these days for albums (this week she sold 97,000, Justin Bieber is pretty close with 87,000). At the moment I would say 13-14 million is about the maximum 25 will sell in the USA, double that for worldwide sales. And I think I am being generous now - using a very optimistic projection for her. So she is not even on track to beat Shania Twain's record for best selling female album IMO or albums like Alainis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill etc.

And yes, this is Off Topic as well, but since it was asked here I am answering here and hopefully the Adele discussion will end here in this topic.

Now back to Off the Wall!

Last edited:

:lol: holy shit that's hilarious :rofl: so you believe the tabloids too?? wait, you believe that book, so you obviously do :lmao:

I believe that book more than Moonwalker haha..... If Im not mistaken Michael himself actually said "read Taborellis book if you want to know stuff" or something like that.

Back