What is your favourite MJ interview?

LindavG

Proud Member
What is your favourite MJ interview and why? :)

For me it's this one:

[youtube]he5nO3ccAv8[/youtube]

It feels so authentic, like Michael is speaking freely without worrying about whether people may find him "strange" or "odd". He doesn't try to explain or justify some of his more eccentric qualities like he does in later interviews. He seems like such a fun person to hang out with :) And I love the ending with LaToya. This is probably the interview I have watched the most, I keep coming back to it.

Out of all the interviews Michael has done. The Oprah interview will always be my number 1 favorite. For 2 very good reasons the theater scene of that interview. Which cause my Who Is It obsession. Which lasted for years and years. It still really is the most greatest MJ song ever made. And 2 it was the very first MJ interview I ever saw. I remember being 13 years old at the time. When it was first shown on tv on February 10th 1993. And I remember the only thing I could think about that day. Was being at home watching that interview. My school work had probably had suffer. Since my mind was more on Michael than my school work. But in a way I really didn't care since Michael was much more important. Than doing stupid boring school work. When it finally came on my eyes were totally glue to the tv. During the entire time it was on. Plus I was seeing Neverland for the first time ever. And I was instantly in L.O.V.E. with the place. I thought it was the most greatest place ever. And made me L.O.V.E. him even more than I already did at the time.

There's so many to choose from. I love all of them but my first on the list would have to be the Oprah interview. I just love it!

These are great:

I love both of these interviews myself. The Ebony interview just goes without saying why::dropdead: And in the MTV one he is so happy, relaxed and obviously enjoying himself.

My all time favorite will be this one-the one I watch often-because I remember watching it at the time and it reintroduced Michael to people who still thought of him and his brothers as kids, and we got a sneak peek of the powerhouse he was becoming. I just love it-you get a close glimpse of him both personally and professionally here.

Is it just me or did MJ totally look like he looked in the thriller era in this interview?

2quox0h.png

6a0148c6c126f4970c017615c94974970c-800wi

Out of all the interviews Michael has done. The Oprah interview will always be my number 1 favorite. For 2 very good reasons the theater scene of that interview. Which cause my Who Is It obsession. Which lasted for years and years. It still really is the most greatest MJ song ever made. And 2 it was the very first MJ interview I ever saw. I remember being 13 years old at the time. When it was first shown on tv on February 10th 1993. And I remember the only thing I could think about that day. Was being at home watching that interview. My school work had probably had suffer. Since my mind was more on Michael than my school work. But in a way I really didn't care since Michael was much more important. Than doing stupid boring school work. When it finally came on my eyes were totally glue to the tv. During the entire time it was on. Plus I was seeing Neverland for the first time ever. And I was instantly in L.O.V.E. with the place. I thought it was the most greatest place ever. And made me L.O.V.E. him even more than I already did at the time.
it was the same for me. this was my first MJ interview, and I was so excited. but in my country, due to time zones, it came on tv late at night, and I was not allowed to stay up and watch it. of course my mom let me record it, and she watched it while recording it. but I didn't want to sleep, I just wanted to see it. so I kept pretending that I had to go the bathroom, because to get to the bathroom from my room, I had to go through the living room. so I could catch glimpses of it every time I walked by :lol: then my mom finally said, what do you think you are you doing? go to bed!! I just said, yeah, I don't know, I think I drank a lot today, because I have to pee all the time. and she said, if you don't go to bed now, I will stop recording, and you wont get to see it. I went to bed faster than you could say goodnight :lol:

I love this interview i can sit and watch this all day long. I just love the way Michael talk his voice is so sweet and soft it take my breath away.

Last edited:
I just wish there were more interviews where he was asked about his music. In all these docs about his music you have all these talking heads talk about his music, "only" his own voice is missing from them which is such a shame. For that reason I like the Dangerous deposition tape, even if the circumstances weren't the best. It's amazing to watch when he talks about his creative process, beatboxes and sings the songs.

I am angry with all the incompetent interviewers who when had the opportunity to talk to one of the greatest artists missed it big time when they insisted on asking him about irrelevant BS ("Are you a virgin?" "Do you and your wife have sex?" etc.) instead of asking him about his music.

^^I could not agree more. One night I was just listening to that 3 hour Dangerous deposition on YouTube and when it was over, I replayed it again. I am absolutely fascinated when he talks and demonstrates how he makes music.
I think it might be why I'm partial to that Ebony one or the MTV one about his videos because they focus on the work. And he's comfortable talking about it.

I just wish there were more interviews where he was asked about his music. In all these docs about his music you have all these talking heads talk about his music, "only" his own voice is missing from them which is such a shame. For that reason I like the Dangerous deposition tape, even if the circumstances weren't the best. It's amazing to watch when he talks about his creative process, beatboxes and sings the songs.

I am angry with all the incompetent interviewers who when had the opportunity to talk to one of the greatest artists missed it big time when they insisted on asking him about irrelevant BS ("Are you a virgin?" "Do you and your wife have sex?" etc.) instead of asking him about his music.
Totally agree. It's bizarre that there really is not a truly in-depth interview with Michael about his music. Some touch upon it but even those that do contain pretty surface-level stuff. He was active for over 40 years in the business and there's not one that really dug deep. And although he did not like to give interviews, it's not like he was non-responsive to questions about his music when he did grant one (and maybe if they'd asked him more about his music he would have actually given more interviews). Although he would often describe the process of writing a song (which always felt like the token music-related question they'd ask before getting into controversy and scandals) in pretty abstract terms, he seemed happy to share details when asked, or show and explain things like the beatbox pattern in Tabloid Junkie. I think a good interviewer, who'd ask specific rather than vague questions (e.g. "How did you come up with this or that song?" rather than "How do you write a song?"), could have gotten a lot of fascinating insights out of Michael.

In terms of information, the Mexico and Denver depositions are sadly by far the most informative. I also enjoy the Ebony/Jet 1987 interview, the 2007 Ebony interview (Ebony and Jet were two of the few publications that always took MJ seriously), and the 1999 MTV interviews. Although the circumstances were not nice, I thought the Geraldo 2005 interview was also good. I would not really call the 1983 Unauthorized footage an interview (though it does contain some interesting questions and answers), but it is definitely fascinating as it shows Michael in his natural surroundings.

Last edited:
^^Yes-it's the vocal demonstrations where he explains what he's talking about that make them even more fascinating. He makes you totally understand how a song is created. It's like you were there when it happened.
The Sylvia Chase one and even the Pidgeon one with Janet are also ones where Michael is himself in a natural habitat. He's about 21 there, but he's no different when he talks about himself as he did at 31 or 41 or 50.

I'm still not sure why, but I think the enormous ratings of the Oprah and Diane Sawyer shows convinced Michael that all we were interested in was the eccentric PT Barnum side, and that's why he agreed to do the Bashir interview. I still think a lot of things on that show (not Bashir's editing) were putting on a "show" because that's what we wanted. And he did himself and us a disservice by that.
He's sweetly eccentric in that Hayvenhurst backyard one, but that is sweet, natural and very charming. And real.

Totally agree. It's bizarre that there really is not a truly in-depth interview with Michael about his music. Some touch upon it but even those that do contain pretty surface-level stuff.

Plus they keep asking him about the same 2-3 songs as if he had never done anything else. My problem with the 1999 MTV interview and also with the 2007 Ebony one is that they do ask him about his art, but only about Thriller, Billie Jean and stuff. Really? Here we are in 1999 and 2007 and that's still what you ask him about for him to repeat the same stories that were told a million times? He hardly ever got questions about his later works. HIStory, Invincible, Dangerous - even Bad. Even if he is asked about his music, videos and art it's always about Thriller, Thriller, Thriller. So annoying.

That's why the Mexico depositions were so much of a fresh air. But it shouldn't be this way that the deepest questions he ever got about his music were in a deposition.

Plus they keep asking him about the same 2-3 songs as if he had never done anything else. My problem with the 1999 MTV interview and also with the 2007 Ebony one is that they do ask him about his art, but only about Thriller, Billie Jean and stuff. Really? Here we are in 1999 and 2007 and that's still what you ask him about for him to repeat the same stories that were told a million times? He hardly ever got questions about his later works. HIStory, Invincible, Dangerous - even Bad. Even if he is asked about his music, videos and art it's always about Thriller, Thriller, Thriller. So annoying.

That's why the Mexico depositions were so much of a fresh air. But it shouldn't be this way that the deepest questions he ever got about his music were in a deposition.

none of this ever would have happened if his image hadn't changed....and that's the problem

if his image had not changed, all of his music after Thriller would have been recognized and more than likely

the follow up to Thriller would have been a lock to outsell Thriller

and when Diane asked him about HIStory it was asked as part of her attack against him... smh.

none of this ever would have happened if his image hadn't changed....and that's the problem

if his image had not changed, all of his music after Thriller would have been recognized and more than likely

the follow up to Thriller would have been a lock to outsell Thriller

Yawn.

There is a thread already where all your posts about this were put because you keep derailing threads with this pet topic of yours.

Here: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/137706-Michael-s-Career-After-Thriller

Take this topic there and stop trying to derail other threads with this same thing over and over again.

Last edited:
Oh,that's a tricky one...let me think. I'll go with the 1995 Primetime interview with Lisa Marie. I don't know, I just love this whole interview, especially the singing part ^?^.

If I could choose one more, I'd choose the 1997 Barbara Walters interview,mainly because he describes his life with Prince and because he smiles a lot! You can probably tell by my choices that I am too obsessed with Michael. But who isn't right? ;)

This is my fave one.

CheekyMJ_zpslxsot5s4.jpg

I will brazenly go for the "Diane Sawyer Interview with LMP".
Yeash, I'm aware of the 'eyerolls' that there are other
'nicer' interviews with MJ but the reason why
this is my fave one is simply cause
I've hardly seen MJ being so 'cheeky' and 'vibrant' in an interview.
I mean, we know the 'reserved and shy' MJ that gives him a good
impression but never mind the 'annoying' interviewer nor
the sore face of LMP being 'teased'.
I don't want to start a 'war' here on LMP.
So please keep your comments nice and decent towards her.
The simply fact that MJ is so 'boisterous' during that
whole interview gives it a new 'dimension' to who MJ really is.
The 'prankster' and yeash, the man 'in love' too.
It was a 'side' of MJ that made me love him even more.
Excerpt taken from : http://www.mjjcommunity.com/blog/too-cheeky

This one because he's so adorable!!
And this one because...just look at him :wub: He seems laid back and happy here :)

Respect - It's been a while since I heard that interview.. do you recall why the child was the 'middle man' between the interview.. I remember first hearing it thinking that was odd.

Back