Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Just Good Friends - What's wrong with it?

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Just Good Friends - What's wrong with it?

Wanna hear more of the demo, sounds really nice from what i've heard
    I run an Michael Jackson Channel, check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJz...r6NeUixVghFpwA

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

‘Just Good Friends’ is undoubtedly the weakest song on the ‘BAD’ album, which also explains why it was not released as a single at that time.

The background story is that Michael Jackson simply wanted with that song to cement even more his long-time friendship that he had with Stevie Wonder (the two men had also been collaborating since The Jackson 5 days), so he decided to record a duet with him for inclusion on the ‘BAD’ album.

The song did not aim at boosting the sales of the ‘BAD’ album, nor was the song meant to achieve big commercial success at the time.

The song was more like a personal thing for Michael Jackson towards Stevie Wonder, and it acted as a way for Michael Jackson to show his gratitude to him by including the song on such a much anticipated and important album (‘BAD’).

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    ‘Just Good Friends’ is undoubtedly the weakest song on the ‘BAD’ album, which also explains why it was not released as a single at that time.

The background story is that Michael Jackson simply wanted with that song to cement even more his long-time friendship that he had with Stevie Wonder (the two men had also been collaborating since The Jackson 5 days), so he decided to record a duet with him for inclusion on the ‘BAD’ album.

The song did not aim at boosting the sales of the ‘BAD’ album, nor was the song meant to achieve big commercial success at the time.

The song was more like a personal thing for Michael Jackson towards Stevie Wonder, and it acted as a way for Michael Jackson to show his gratitude to him by including the song on such a much anticipated and important album (‘BAD’).
    In my opinion the song is amazing. Actually when I heard the song for the first time I loved it. I don´t care what the charts say, and as Michael said one time: "If the kids like the song, then it´s a hit, no matter what the charts say". I was a kid when I listened to it and I love it.
    But I understand your opinion.

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 646 Posts

I don't think there's anything wrong with it as such, it's just it's Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder, two of the greatest artists in history. It should have been epic and iconic, and just a bit of a filler on Bad, in comparison to the other huge songs on the album

I think they should have wrote something together, that would have been magic no doubt. Or a dream of mine would have been fro them to duet on Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming or a completed version of Don't Be Messin' Round maybe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Thanks

Get It was a way better product than Just Good Friends, but i still like JGF slightly more.

Also, it took years for a colab between the 2 to come out, Stevie was supposed to produce a J5 album back in 1974 (I recall Buttercup was one of the songs out of that colab) but never got finished.
    I run an Michael Jackson Channel, check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJz...r6NeUixVghFpwA

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 931 Posts

Default Stevie

Quote Originally Posted by Seldervi View Post
    Stevie was supposed to produce a J5 album back in 1974
    One of those songs (You're Supposed To Keep Your Love For Me) was later re-recorded for Jermaine's 1980 solo album Let's Get Serious. Stevie produced Jermaine's version and 2 other songs on that album. Stevie & Jermaine wrote I Think It's Love from 1986. Mike, Betty Wright, & The O'Jays backgrounds sang backgrounds on Stevie's All I Do from 1980. Stevie & Mike were part of the choir on Donna Summer's State Of Independence. Stevie also played harmonica on a song called My Love Has Passed You By from LaToya's debut album.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsYour first GroupThree FriendsCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think what's wrong with it is the uninteresting ad-libs and the mono-duet "I think the lady/Is still making/Up her mind/Tell her that we're just good friends"...It's just boring. Predictable beat, and the fills sound congested to me.

I think it would have done good with less of a beat, like more acapella, and less instruments, but bring out an instrument. You know? Like, it could have been a great outro song with just Michael's vocals and Stevie's vocals, including the backing vocals. I think it was too colorful, and mimicked the swingy, snare-stomp rhythms of the other songs (like Speed Demon and The Way You Make Me Feel). It's like in the ad libs they didn't know what to say except "doggone luvah" and "na na na na na na na NAH" and "WHOOO HOO"
    And they better spell my name right! L-I-D-E-O. So simple. Frankie Lideo!