Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Good Friends - What's wrong with it?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,412 Times in 2,630 Posts

Default Just Good Friends - What's wrong with it?

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with it? This song gets a lot of hate, and for the life of me I will never understand why. The song is fun and funky. MJ and Stevie sound great together, and it has great ad libs from MJ. It makes me sad when I see fans say that it sould've be removed from BAD in favor of (Insert song here). Just Good Friends is an awesome song, and it deserves it's place on BAD.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to analogue For This Useful Post:

Michaels Lover

Default Re: Just Good Friends - What's wrong with it?

I agree (about the song), but each to their own. we don't all like the same things, that's life. get over it and move on. imagine if everyone made threads like this. it would be as annoying as all those appreciation threads

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

For me, it's very fascinating and lovely song. Especially, first verse of Michael's vocal...
    Here:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to telimens For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels Lover View Post
    I agree (about the song), but each to their own. we don't all like the same things, that's life. get over it and move on. imagine if everyone made threads like this. it would be as annoying as all those appreciation threads
    I just asked a question. If this thread annoyes you so much, then stay away from it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to analogue For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,810 Times in 1,562 Posts

Currently I'm not the best at explaining specifically how and why a song does or doesn't work for me but I'll do my best anyway?

I think Just Good Friends is an alright song at best, but it's an alright song that is surrounded by 10 other incredible songs, so it stands out like a sore thumb by contrast whenever I look at the track listing. Then the fact it's a song by MJ and Stevie just made me have higher expectations... especially once I heard Get It, which I definitely prefer of the two songs they sung together.

It's just very... very average on the whole, especially so if you ignore who's singing it. I wasn't entirely surprised when I found out MJ and Stevie didn't write it, given the averageness of the lyrics as well. I think we would've had a much better outcome had Michael and Stevie written something together, rather than utilising third party writers. In fact... why didn't they write something together? Always wondered that.

I mean, I still like the song; it's fun and if it comes on I'll sing along and what not! And as indecisive as this sounds, I'm fine with it's inclusion on the album but if given the choice, I would replace it with Get It, Streetwalker or perhaps another song. I'm flexible ok :P

But yeah, it was just a very, very average song sung on a legendary album filled with incredible songs. They could've done much better and they have. Bad is my second favourite MJ album btw (after Dangerous) and I'd give it 5/5 either way
    Last edited by HIStoric; 10-08-2016 at 01:20 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HIStoric For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,347 Posts

I like it. It's one of the best songs on Bad in my opinion. Bad is also my favorite album.

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I love it personally.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,844 Times in 3,035 Posts

I always liked it, but loved it after watching the studio footage of them in Bad 25. It didn't seem like a real proper song to me, but more 2 great friends having a great time in the studio, horsing around. Just fun.

I think the reviews back in the day only complained that the two of them could have and should have written a song together.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to barbee0715 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barbee0715 View Post
    I always liked it, but loved it after watching the studio footage of them in Bad 25. It didn't seem like a real proper song to me, but more 2 great friends having a great time in the studio, horsing around. Just fun.
    That's a good way to look at it. I feel it'd fit better as a B-side or something... perhaps?

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,681 Times in 1,452 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by analogue View Post
    Seriously, what the hell is wrong with it? This song gets a lot of hate, and for the life of me I will never understand why. The song is fun and funky. MJ and Stevie sound great together, and it has great ad libs from MJ. It makes me sad when I see fans say that it sould've be removed from BAD in favor of (Insert song here). Just Good Friends is an awesome song, and it deserves it's place on BAD.
    Absolutely nothing. Suits both singers perfectly, who each sing their parts perfectly. It's a fun song, and eminates exactly what you would think of when putting MJ and Stevie Wonder together without either of them getting bogged down with deep songs about the world. Probably the song that defines the 80's sound impeccably for me, while maintaining a great melody, chorus, harmonies and ad libs.

It's one of the few songs that when I hear it it brings me back to an exact moment of my childhood. Such a great great song.

The only thing that boggles me is WHY the song is on the cover as "Just Good Friends" without any mention of Stevie? Paul got a mention on Thriller? Michael got a mention on Characters? Maybe it was supposed to be a surprise?

Thanks for the thread- got some good vibes now! na, na na na na na, na - hoo hoo!

No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HIStoric View Post
    Currently I'm not the best at explaining specifically how and why a song does or doesn't work for me but I'll do my best anyway?

I think Just Good Friends is an alright song at best, but it's an alright song that is surrounded by 10 other incredible songs, so it stands out like a sore thumb by contrast whenever I look at the track listing. Then the fact it's a song by MJ and Stevie just made me have higher expectations... especially once I heard Get It, which I definitely prefer of the two songs they sung together.

It's just very... very average on the whole, especially so if you ignore who's singing it. I wasn't entirely surprised when I found out MJ and Stevie didn't write it, given the averageness of the lyrics as well. I think we would've had a much better outcome had Michael and Stevie written something together, rather than utilising third party writers. In fact... why didn't they write something together? Always wondered that.

I mean, I still like the song; it's fun and if it comes on I'll sing along and what not! And as indecisive as this sounds, I'm fine with it's inclusion on the album but if given the choice, I would replace it with Get It, Streetwalker or perhaps another song. I'm flexible ok :P

But yeah, it was just a very, very average song sung on a legendary album filled with incredible songs. They could've done much better and they have. Bad is my second favourite MJ album btw (after Dangerous) and I'd give it 5/5 either way
    I totally agree... :-) It is a good song, but the worst song on BAD album. :-) and BAD is the second song behind JGF

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    The only thing that boggles me is WHY the song is on the cover as "Just Good Friends" without any mention of Stevie? Paul got a mention on Thriller? Michael got a mention on Characters? Maybe it was supposed to be a surprise?!
    Janet was credited for Scream as well.

I've actually noticed often in the past, sometimes you don't see featured artists credited as much as they are nowadays. Sticking to MJ, I don't think Siedah is featured on the back for IJCSTLY either (sometimes she is on iTunes!). Biggie wasn't credited on the back for his verses on This Time Around or Unbreakable, nor was Carlos Santana on Whatever Happens or Rod Serling on Threatened. There's all the rappers you hear on various songs from Dangerous onwards too!

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    The only thing that boggles me is WHY the song is on the cover as "Just Good Friends" without any mention of Stevie? Paul got a mention on Thriller? Michael got a mention on Characters? Maybe it was supposed to be a surprise?
    Maybe Stevie requested not to have credit

Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,783 Times in 2,239 Posts

I personally very much like the song.. Under rated for sure! I think it just did not get enough promotion when Bad had these other big hits to back it... I mean this song and Speed Demon never were the only songs not released as a single.... Speed Demon had a music video to promote it on Moonwalker..

That said it was the least promoted song on the album and had MJ an STEVIE for Gods sake.. I wonder if the low/no promotion and the fact Stevie is not credited have anything to do with each other..
    Walk in truth, stand IN JUSTICE https://twitter.com/rasheedKOPV?s=09

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Always one of my favorite songs on Bad, the ad libs were amazing at the end