Auckland 1996

Yeah it is a bootleg. I don't think the show was broadcast on the radio (only guessing), but it was broadcast on TV here - which is where our copies of the show come from. I imagine this bootleg comes straight from the copies us fans have already.

Kicking myself I was not at the shows (There were 2 - November 7 and 9 1996), as I was in 2nd year University, studying at Otago (Dunedin, a city 1000km south of Auckland and on a different island for you non kiwis) and was doing final exams, so never saw the concerts. Was pretty annoyed as everyone back then, knew I was Michael mad and wanted to see those concerts.

Had Michael come in 1997 (As part of his 1997 shows) I would have gone as I moved to Auckland in 1997 and have been there ever since, kicking myself. His last time there and first time in Auckland since the 1970s (Definitely 1972/3, not so sure about 1978 Jacksons tour). Never seeing Michael Jackson live is one of my life's greatest regrets.

His last time there and first time in Auckland since the 1970s (Definitely 1972/3, not so sure about 1978 Jacksons tour).

Never knew young Michael came here in the early '70s! A quick look on Wikipedia shows The Jacksons didn't come back a few years later however. Michael was also planning to come here on the Bad tour! He was originally going to play in Auckland and Wellington and you can see the programme in photos from when he visited a children's hospital in Aussie!
7BgApQK.jpg

Unfortunately it was cancelled. The book "Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary" states that "Concerts in Perth and Adelaide and a planned tour of New Zealand were cancelled when the Cricket Association refused permission for chairs to be placed on the playing fields" (edited into past tense).

Booooooo!!!!

Back