Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Triumph the best Jacksons album?

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Is Triumph the best Jacksons album?

I personally prefer Destiny, because of how personal the album is. Somebody already mentioned it, that Destiny is Michael's most personal album up until Dangerous.

Look at the following verses from Bless Your Soul:
    "Sometimes I cry 'cause I'm confused, Is this a fact of being used, There is no life for me at all, 'Cause I give myself at beck and call."
    These verses perfectly sums up Michael Jackson's life. He didn't have much of a life, being hassled by the paparazzi and hysterical fans, everytime he went out. And we all know that many people took advantage of him and used him.

The song 'That's What You Get (For Being Polite)' describes a boy named Jack and how he was lonely and wanted love badly in his life. I think we can all agree that Jack is Michael Jackson and we all know that MJ wanted love from someone. He wanted to be accepted by someone and that's why he got close to the wrong families that took advantage of his politeness. The Arvizo, Chandler and Cascio families are the perfect example of such families, that took advantage of Michael's kindness.

Destiny is another song, in which Michael taks about how he doesn't enjoy the material things that comes with being a celebrity. He doesn't enjoy the city life and how he dreams of distant places. This concept of Escapism is something Michael would explore again in his later songs such as Xscape, A Place with no Name and Days in Gloucestershire. Michael never enjoyed the celebrity life, we all know that. He wanted to escape spotlight and try to live a normal life.

I think these three songs are easily some of Michael's most personal songs and that's why I love the Destiny album so much, because this album perfectly describes Michael's life and the sad events that would unfold in his life, later on.

Having said that, Lovely One and Heartbreak Hotel are my two all time favorite Jacksons songs. But Destiny >> Triumph for me always.
    Last edited by Nite Line; 03-09-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 731 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post
    I personally prefer Destiny, because of how personal the album is. Somebody already mentioned it, that Destiny is Michael's most personal album up until Dangerous.

"Sometimes I cry 'cause I'm confused, Is this a fact of being used, There is no life for me at all, 'Cause I give myself at beck and call."
    These verses perfectly sums up Michael Jackson's life. He didn't have much of a life, being hassled by the paparazzi and hysterical fans, everytime he went out. And we all know that many people took advantage of him and used him.

The song 'That's What You Get (For Being Polite)' describes a boy named Jack and how he was lonely and wanted love badly in his life. I think we can all agree that Jack is Michael Jackson and we all know that MJ wanted love from someone. He wanted to be accepted by someone and that's how he got close to the wrong families that took advantage of his politeness. The Arvizo, Chandler and Cascio families are the perfect example of such families.

Destiny is another song, in which Michael taks about how he doesn't enjoy the material things that comes with being a celebrity. He doesn't enjoy the city life and how he dreams of distant places. This concept of Escapism is something Michael would explore again in his later songs such as Xscape, A Place with no Name and Days in Gloucestershire. Michael never enjoyed the celebrity life, we all know that. He wanted to escape spotlight and try to live a normal life.

I think these three songs are easily some of Michael's most personal songs and that's why I love the Destiny album so much, because this album perfectly describes Michael's life and the sad events that would unfold in his life, later on.

Having said, Lovely One and Heartbreak Hotel are my two all time favorite Jacksons songs. But Destiny >> Triumph for me always.

I agree. DESTINY for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

not for me at all. I find it to be plagued with anxiety and depressing . only 3 songs depart from the main theme of heartbreak and distrust in women. i'm all for lyrical honesty, but it has to be pleasing to my ears ('startin' somethin' and 'billie jean' achieve this balance). otherwise i'd rather read about it in a essay or book. the odd and loud arrangements swallow up Michael's falsetto ('give it up'). though I must say that his regular voice sounds amazing here ('lovely one' 'can you feel it'). some songs are clearly re-treads or leftovers from 'off the wall' ('time waits for no one - 'she's out of my life'. 'everybody - 'get on the floor', though I do prefer 'everybody' for the brightness and bridge). strangely enough, a lot of the same musicians from the solo albums are here, yet it's still lacking that polish to make it all pop.

knowing how I feel about albums in general , my favourite would have to go to 'goin' places'. the title track, along with 'jump for joy', 'do what you wanna' (written by the jacksons), and 'even though you're gone', all deserved to be big hits. there are a variety of styles, yet overall it's optimistic and vibrant. the feeling of young people on the verge of discovering something new and exciting! great messages, and I like hearing them harmonise as a unit to give a nice full sound. it sounds like a perfect continuation of their catchy early Motown releases. not old before their time like some of their later material, including their previous self titled debut.

had the jacksons been allowed to keep their original name of 'Jackson 5', I believe they would have been more successful. however, it's *this* album that is underrated in my opinion.

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I am obsessed with the Jacksons' album Goin' Places right now. I am ashamed to say that as a lifelong MJ fan I only now really discovered this Jacksons jewel... shame on me, I know. What a revelation though! Ordered it on vinyl.

Last edited by wednesday; 27-11-2018 at 03:57 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wednesday For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael's Essence View Post
    my favourite would have to go to 'goin' places'. the title track, along with 'jump for joy', 'do what you wanna' (written by the jacksons), and 'even though you're gone', all deserved to be big hits. there are a variety of styles, yet overall it's optimistic and vibrant. the feeling of young people on the verge of discovering something new and exciting! great messages, and I like hearing them harmonise as a unit to give a nice full sound. it sounds like a perfect continuation of their catchy early Motown releases. not old before their time like some of their later material, including their previous self titled debut.

I feel the same way. The album is flawless really imo.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wednesday For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

When it comes to the Jacksons and Jackson 5 albums "Skywhriter", "The Jacksons", "Going Places" and "Destyiny" are on number one for me cause I looooove every song on this four albums and the feelings they gave me veeeery much!!!
    Triumpf is number two cause I'm not a fan of "Wondering Who" and I always prefer "Get on the floor" before "Everybody".
    So I don't listen to this two songs often.

Achievements:
    Overdrive7 days registered500 Experience Points

Thanks

All Jacksons albums have their highlights but none of them come close to off the wall and thriller. MJ clearly kept his strongest material for himself in that era.
    You can make 1 killer album out of all those songs though

Fave songs: strength of one man, show you the way to go, style of life, even though you're gone, music's taking over, man of war, push me away, things I do for you, shake your body, destiny, that's what you get for being polite, can you feel it, lovely one, your ways, time waits for no one, be not always, state of shock, wait

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post

The song 'That's What You Get (For Being Polite)' describes a boy named Jack and how he was lonely and wanted love badly in his life. I think we can all agree that Jack is Michael Jackson and we all know that MJ wanted love from someone. He wanted to be accepted by someone and that's why he got close to the wrong families that took advantage of his politeness. The Arvizo, Chandler and Cascio families are the perfect example of such families, that took advantage of Michael's kindness.

Having said that, Lovely One and Heartbreak Hotel are my two all time favorite Jacksons songs. But Destiny >> Triumph for me always.
    Bless Your Soul makes me cry every single time I hear it.
    The fact that it’s Jackie and Michael singing together is probably what makes me emotional.

I can’t pick but I love both Triumph and Destiny and feel that fans have to listen to those two albums (even the Jacksons album) to understand his growth as an artist.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Level
    Thanks

I think Triumph could be the best! The Tour was amazing! And some of the songs on it were performed up until Bad Tour! That’s what I call the best!

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Level
    Thanks

I agree, for me Triumph is the best Jacksons album as well.

The previous albums are full of mediocre music writing and that cookie cutter happy disco sound that (apart from some exceptions of course) I find pretty boring.

Triumph is on a whole other level. About every song is a jewel, and many have a little more edgy / darkish moods, which makes it much more interesting for me.

Triumph came between Off The Wall and Thriller, so a bit of the magic and quality level of those must have inspired that album.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Destiny and Triumph are equal to me: I can't choose between them. I love them more than Off the Wall: they're rawer and funkier, less mannered and commercial than OTW, and the songwriting is some of the most mature and polished MJ (and his brothers) would ever do. Songs like Bless His Soul or That's What You Get (For Being Polite) are as sophisticated as anything the best professional songwriters of Motown ever wrote for the brothers. I mean, who would have thought that Jackie Jackson would have in him a song like Time Waits for No One? That's a song that any professional tunesmith would be proud of having come up with. Listen to that ending!

MJ fans who don't know these two albums or who think it all starts with OTW and end with Invincible are missing out big time.

I'll go even further: late-era Jackson 5 LPs like Get It Together, Dancing Machine, Moving Violation and Joyful Jukebox Music, as well as the two records they did with Gamble and Huff, are essential listening. Sure the brothers didn't write the songs (with a couple exceptions on those Gamble and Huff albums), but the music is often flawless, and in many ways, MJ's voice was never again as pure and rich and beautiful as right after he hit puberty. He became a much more distinctive vocal stylist afterwards -- he hadn't invented any of his vocal trademarks yet -- but MJ's voice itself, taken on its own, was marvelous back in those days. And the interplay between him and Jermaine (and later Jackie) on many of the songs creates great dynamics that again would be missing from his solo albums.

Destiny and Triumph point to an alternate timeline: they are what MJ's career might have been like had Thriller not been the phenomenon it was. Without Thriller, MJ would have maybe kept working with his brothers, as a self-contained songwriting/producing unit. His brothers never got to build on the songwriting and production skills they exhibited on Destiny and Triumph because Michael-mania put an end to the Jacksons as a creative unit.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ManBehindTheMirrOr - Dona View Post
    I'm not a fan of "Wondering Who".
    But what about the end part, when MJ comes in with his falsetto lead vocal? To me that part makes the whole track a great build-up to the final climax.