Classic Pop magazine (UK) publishes special MJ issue.

MJTruth

Proud Member
I couldn't find a thread about this here using the search so apologies if it's already been discussed!

Has anybody seen this magazine??

Taken from MJWorld

Classic Pop has just released a Michael Jackson Special Edition magazine which is packed full of pictures and information. This 132 page, mainly full colour magazine, begins with the Jackson 5 and takes us through to the latter part of Michael’s career. There are various special sections too which include Michael’s collaborations, fashion and an ‘In His Own Words’ section which includes many quotes from Michael.

mj-special.jpg

Classic Pop are an iconic UK magazine which celebrate the music of the 80’s. The magazine is available to order via their website and is priced at £7.99 including mailing from within the UK. The magazine can be mailed worldwide at a slightly higher postage charge.

Yeah, there was a thread on it a while ago in the News section (can't find it now though),

It's really good, but loads of errors as usual though!

I got it about a month ago and read it cover to cover. The amount of errors is off the chain! I should have went through it with a magic marker pen and highlighted the tons of errors. One that made me laugh out loud was one piece said "He only released 4 albums of original material in his adult solo years" I just find that error (which is a common myth among critics) unacceptable.

The piece about the Unreleased Tracks is a comedy of errors, the guy who wrote it even mentioned that MJ was working on an album "Resurrection" and lots of song titles that from my mind are fan made. There's a picture of MJ performing Earth Song at The Brit Awards in 96 and they have it as 2006. Just the usual annoying mistakes that nobody outside the genuine fan community can seem to get right. I wasn't entirely crazy about the way they wrote about the Bashir interview either; not neccesceraly negative, just extremely vague.

Other than all the usual errors it's presented in a positive way and there's some good pictures (nothing that we haven't seen before) but they should have used a higher ress picture for the cover like they did for their Prince special (which I also have) which is a much better presentation.

All that said, it's good, it's positive and I enjoyed parts of it and flicking through it. I was mad as hell last year when they brought out an issue featuring the 100 best pop songs of the 80's and MJ didn't even get a mention!! And now all of a sudden their releasing an MJ special edition (I would imagine because of the success of their Prince cash-in) I almost wrote into them! They like their pop music but they can be complete pop-snobs which sort of defeats the whole point in liking pop music.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it about a month ago and read it cover to cover. The amount of errors is off the chain! I should have went through it with a magic marker pen and highlighted the tons of errors. One that made me laugh out loud was one piece said "He only released 4 albums of original material in his adult solo years" I just find that error (which is a common myth among critics) unacceptable.

The piece about the Unreleased Tracks is a comedy of errors, the guy who wrote it even mentioned that MJ was working on an album "Resurrection" and lots of song titles that from my mind are fan made. There's a picture of MJ performing Earth Song at The Brit Awards in 96 and they have it as 2006. Just the usual annoying mistakes that nobody outside the genuine fan community can seem to get right. I wasn't entirely crazy about the way they wrote about the Bashir interview either; not neccesceraly negative, just extremely vague.

Other than all the usual errors it's presented in a positive way and there's some good pictures (nothing that we haven't seen before) but they should have used a higher ress picture for the cover like they did for their Prince special (which I also have) which is a much better presentation.

All that said, it's good, it's positive and I enjoyed parts of it and flicking through it. I was mad as hell last year when they brought out an issue featuring the 100 best pop songs of the 80's and MJ didn't even get a mention!! And now all of a sudden their releasing an MJ special edition (I would imagine because of the success of their Prince cash-in) I almost wrote into them! They like their pop music but they can be complete pop-snobs which sort of defeats the whole point in liking pop music.

That's the one I remember! The Earth Song one :)

That's hilarious considering the back cover has a picture of every MJ album ever released from J5 to Xscape.
Exactly! HIStory seems to just not exist as an album because it's packaged with a greatest hits. I mean he had brand new singles making waves in the UK of all places. Earth Song was the Christmas number one! You Are Not Alone was Massive. The Brit Awards. The tour for heavens sakes.

Also Dangerous I think is just forgotten and completey over looked! The album that gave the world Black or White! WTF?!!
That's the one I remember! The Earth Song one :)
But the question is, should we call it Earth Song or ES? :lol:

Call me paranoid, but sometimes I wonder if these things are a genuine oversight, or a deliberate attempt to minimise his artistry.

You're paranoid Rockwell!

It hella annoying though that HIStory isn't always counted as a new album when it had 15 tracks of original material which is 50% more than Thriller or Bad.

And not including it on The Collection was another kick in the teeth for it.

I was looking for a review... with what everyone has stated in here I think I'll skip this for now ;)

And SIM. But shhh, it's my dirty little MJ secret. That, along with the fact that I quite like two of the three Cascio songs.

I knew it!

And to think I was considering leaving my wife for you.

I was looking for a review... with what everyone has stated in here I think I'll skip this for now ;)
I wouldn't say it's the worst magazine in the world. For want of a better term I'd say It's a fun magazine and I'm happy I bought it and I still pick it up and flick through it.

It's a positive spin; a celebration. It just lacks in that department that they all do; correct and researched information. I've also recently read the Making Michael book which IMO is a little bit of masterpiece, and for a few quid more it's certainly worth it. But if your like me and have to have everything with MJ then the Classic Pop special is quite good I guess.

But damn, the errors are annoying, most casual MJ enthusiasts just can't seem to tap into the truth about anything, even regarding the artistry, the price of being more famous for who he was rather than what he was; a great artist. It's a sham that his fame still clouds everything; gets in the way.

Call me paranoid, but sometimes I wonder if these things are a genuine oversight, or a deliberate attempt to minimise his artistry.
Perhaps at times to a certain extent. In this instance though it's probably a case of his fame and image overshadowing much of the work and those involved in this publication unknowingly believing what they hear when disscussing "Jackson" over a martini with their fellow muso's. I think there's always been a sense of snobbery that just stops certain types of music lovers from really getting to know MJ the musical artist. I mean these guys like "classic pop" they don't like my pop or your pop, their a little cooler than us; slighty off centre and a little above what the mainstream enjoys.

I think there's a lot of factors that go into why MJ is seen as potentially uncool by these muso types, I mean there is so much baggage attatched to his name at this point it's insane. And whilst it may not be strictly true that there is a concerted effort to diminish his artistry, you can bet your bottom dollar that they would not make these type of rookie mistakes with the likes of Prince, Dylan, The Beatles etc. These kind of mistakes are so commonplace and typical when the music press attempt to discuss MJ's artistry and it shows a distinct lack of respect/reverance for his work that just wouldn't exist with those aforementioned artists.
I have to agree with you. I'm a big Dylan fan myself and anything I read about him in music magazines is usually stellar, same with The Beatles, researched, fact-checked for single and album releases. Another thing that annoys me is, for example Dylan's album two years ago 'Shadows In The Night was IMO rubbish, but he's one of a few that can do no wrong. I say that as a fan, but see the hypocrisy and journalistic biasst everywhere.

It would be nice if they could seperate the music from the circus and write about his artistic output on the same intellectual level as Prince, Dylan, Beatles etc. At the same time I guess there was nothing to nowhere near the level of scandal that came with MJ. There's definitely a lack of respect for MJ from a certain sect of "journalists" and also deliberate indirect taunts such as not including some of his singles in a top 100 list of the best pop singles of the 80's. Indeed, this lazy work just would not happen for anyone else.

Yeah but at least it was a positive publication.

And we've been through this before, same with Madonna - no respect mainly due to the immense success (familiarity breeds contempt) and the extra-curricular stuff (in Madonna's case the endless need to push buttons).

^^Absolutely. I should reiterate that despite the errors (which I expected) it's a good magazine and a positive spin and great to see it on the shelf in shops. When I saw it I flicked through it and bought it immediately.

Just bought it now. Despite what you guys say, there are some good pictures in it at least and a decent bit about the Jackson 5/Jacksons era.

Back