Top Myths About MJ

Psychoniff

Proud Member
What are some of the biggest myths surrounding the life and career of the gloved one?

That because he was so wealthy and powerful he was exempt from going to prison for any wrong doing.

Here's a myth....he wanted to be white and have white children :| he apparently hated being black.

wanting to buy elephant mans bones, he slept in a hyperbaric chamber... Many PR stunts became part of the myth that surrounds Mike!

That he was a vegaterian. He was at one point in his life, but that didn't last.

That he did not drink . MJ loved a drink as we found out later. Loved wine as well as Jack Daniels.

That he wasn't a human being with feelings. Sadly this was a myth believed by most of the media.

That he didn't write his music. That he had 50+ plastic surgeries.

I have also heard people wondering how he could release music posthumously. That probably doesn't count as a myth although I think people hold this belief since there's a misconception (a myth, actually) he didn't record anything after One More Chance.

That he was asexual.

That he was a regressed man-child.

That he was 'just' an entertainer but not a real artist.

That he wanted to look feminine.

That he only had child friends and childlike interests.

That he was ashamed of his race.

That he was anti-semitic.

That he forced people to call him the King of Pop.

That he was addicted to drugs for most of his adult life.

That there were way more child abuse accusers but he paid them off.

That he invented the Moonwalk.

That his marriage to LMP was a publicity stunt.

That he invited children into his bed.

There are so many... -_-

That he didn't write his music.
^^^^
This shit right here.
I can't stand when people do this.
Whenever I see people say MJ didn't write his music it's almost always some dumb ass trying to justify the fact that their own fave can't/ couldn't write music to save their lives, or some dumb ass hater trying to diminish Michael as an artist in general.
Sure there are a lot of artist that don't/didn't write their own songs, and Michael didn't write ALL of his own songs, but he COULD write and was good as hell at it, so I can't stand when people drag Michael down to justify a shortcoming of their own fave, or to make him out to be less of an artist.
I can't stand hating ass people like that.

Very rarely if at all have I seen MJ fans say that another artist that could indeed play an instrument couldn't play an instrument just because MJ couldn't.

Last edited:
Press are just complete creeps when it comes to MJ . I remember reading one article saying he took 50 Xanax ( a drug called Alprazolam here in Scotland) a night. The drug addicted crap is one of the things that angers me the most. Any drugs MJ took were PRESCRIBED usually by charlatan doctors. Not MJ drug addicted.

Whenever I see people say MJ didn't write his music it's almost always some dumb ass trying to justify the fact that their own fave can't/ couldn't write music to save their lives, or some dumb ass hater trying to diminish Michael as an artist in general.

I think it more-so stems from the fact that Michael is a pop star, and it's stereotyping of pop stars that they do not write their own material (or, if they do, they have many people helping). It annoys me when people say that Michael didn't write his own music either and I think a lot of it comes not only from the aforementioned stereotyping, but lack of knowledge on Michael's music anyway.

I always just link to the track listing for the Bad/Dangerous/HIStory albums on Wikipedia and let that do the talking. If anything, it just helps show the massive development Michael had as an artist, even at his highest commercial peak :)

You could write a book on the number of myths.

That he only invited boys to Neverland. He invited girls too, and entire families, and disabled and disadvantaged kids.

That he was asexual.

That he was a regressed man-child.

That he wanted to look feminine.

That he was anti-semitic.

That he was addicted to drugs for most of his adult life.

That he invented the Moonwalk.

That his marriage to LMP was a publicity stunt.

That he invited children into his bed.

There are so many... -_-
To paraphrase Al Sharpton: "Your daddy wasn't strange. What your daddy had to deal with was strange."

All of this stuff will never cease to disgust me.

That Quincy Jones was the real mastermind behind Thriller. Don't get me wrong, I'll give credit where credits due and say that Q was a great producer, but Thriller would be nothing without Wanna Be Startin Somethin, Billie Jean and Beat It.

That he wasn't a real musician, just because he didn't play any instruments. People need to learn the difference between a musican, and an instrumentalist. MJ may not have been an instrumentalist, but he was a 100% musican.

That he was gay

Last edited:
OOOW I got one, that was the FIRST black artist on MTV. The simple fact is, that their were several black artists to appear on it before MJ like Musical Youth and Donna Summer.

Last edited:

That he "stole" the Beatles catalogue from Paul McCartney.

HIStoric;4168412 said:
I think it more-so stems from the fact that Michael is a pop star, and it's stereotyping of pop stars that they do not write their own material (or, if they do, they have many people helping). It annoys me when people say that Michael didn't write his own music either and I think a lot of it comes not only from the aforementioned stereotyping, but lack of knowledge on Michael's music anyway.

I always just link to the track listing for the Bad/Dangerous/HIStory albums on Wikipedia and let that do the talking. If anything, it just helps show the massive development Michael had as an artist, even at his highest commercial peak :)

I think you should direct these people to MJ’s induction into the Songwriters Hall Of Fame in 2002 (Johnny Mercer Award).

The description regarding MJ read as follows:

… As a songwriter, he [MJ] penned more than 150 songs, with more than 20 reaching multi-million performance status on American radio and television…

Liza Minnelli received the award (on behalf of MJ because he was in London at that time) while publicly acknowledging MJ’s songwriting abilities (“You write the songs that make the whole world dance”).

That Michael never learned to play instruments.

He knew the very bare bones basics of piano in the 1980s - there's some footage of him plunking out simple chords around 1987 somewhere online, plus his appearance on Don't Be Messin' Around.

Not sure how much else he knew at that time, but Matt Forger said Michael knew more than he ever let on.

"Once he went on his knees and started playing piano in the barn. He played a few notes then began singing. It was a love song and sounded really good and he had actually written it right there in front of me. It was amazing to watch, it took him about 6 minutes. When he got up I said did you just write that? He said ´yeah, but I have forgotten it already´. Then he started looking for something else to do. No matter what his problems are, the man is a complete genius." - Robert McGibbon, story from Michael's 1993 rehab stay.

By the mid 2000s, a few people have said he was quite proficient on drums, piano and guitar.

"What was amazing for me was discovering just how incredible Michael was at playing any instrument. He´d sit at the piano and play the Beatles song for us to sing along to, or get on the drums, or play guitar [...] One night we ended up in the studio. Michael was on the drums, I was playing guitar and Neff-U was on the keyboards and we just started getting a rhythm together, and slowly but surely Neff-U just creeped the song in to 'Billie Jean'. It was just mad playing 'Billie Jean' with Michael Jackson – I never thought I'd do that." - Paddy Dunning, story from Michael's 2006 Ireland stay.

Last edited:
That he ALWAYS lip synced and NEVER sang live. The fact is that MJ actually sang live throughout most of his career. The lip syncing only got bad in the 90's (Especially on the HIStory Tour). And it's thanks to the HIStory Tour that many people think that MJ was a lip sync artist who couldn't sing live.

I would follow his advice in this thread here
"Just because you read it in a magazine or see it on a tv screen, don't make it factual, actual"
There is very little that is 100% sure, but what I think.
The plastic surgery started as MJ did not like his nose and his brothers teased him about it and it looked like
Joseph's nose, so MJ had it fixed and this led to several more as the nose looked better and better with each one
and then he took it too far.
Michael did not like Joseph, because of his violence and brutality, along with his disrespect for Katherine, but he did
respect him, as he had a strong work ethic and wanted the best for his family.
Michael used to be close to his brothers, but got tired of their womanising and lifestyles, and the fact they seemed to lean
off him all the time.
MJ got hooked on painkillers after his scalp burning incident.
He was a perfectionist and was never happy with his own music.
He preferred to listen to classical music and often had it on the intercom at neverland.
Like me, he loved lie ins and would only get up early if he had too (Hence why he was late for court some days)
He was very childish
He was probably asexual, but not a paedophile or a sexual predator.
He could play keyboards and guitar, but not that well, still he tried but preferred to have other players on his music.
He was a shopaholic, loved buying collectables, antiques and toys and money burnt a hole in his pocket.
He was insanely jealous of other performers (Particularly Prince and Madonna) and followed their careers avidly.
I won't repeat all the other rubbish about kids and other gossip, we have all heard it a million times and its garbage.

Another possible myth but cannot be determined really... Michael gave Paris her name because that is where she was conceived! It's also known that the Mrs. Hilton and Latoya always spoke about whoever gets a daughter first will name her Paris.. It's been said that is where Michael got the name for Paris..

Could be either story though!

Timeline though it does add up though ;)

Last edited:
Most of the lies I've heard have already been mentioned, but I remember hearing he left the Jehovah's Witnesses after being hassled over the "Thriller" video. Later on, I learned he actually remained with them another few years, leaving after they complained about him using a Tommy-gun in "Smooth Criminal".

Sadly, I believe that this is somewhat of an MJfan perpetuated myth.
I've seen MJ fans harp on about lip syncing WAY more then anyone else outside the fanbase.
I also have only heard fans whine about this. never has anyone who's not a fan mentioned this to me

Another possible myth but cannot be determined really... Michael gave Paris her name because that is where she was conceived! It's also known that the Mrs. Hilton and Latoya always spoke about whoever gets a daughter first will name her Paris.. It's been said that is where Michael got the name for Paris..

Could be either story though!

Timeline though it does add up though ;)

I've also heard both stories, but Debbie Rowe have said herself that she got the name because it's where she was conceived. so I don't know if it's a myth or if it's true

Back