Garth Brooks Tops The Beatles With Historic Seventh Diamond Album

ILoveHIStory

Proud Member
garth-brooks-yankee-stadium-2016-billboard-1548.jpg

Already America’s best-selling solo artist, country superstar Garth Brooks is now the first musician with seven diamond albums.

The Recording Industry Association of America announced last Wednesday (Sept. 21) that Brooks' 2007 The Ultimate Hits has sold 10 million copies. The two-CD compilation with bonus DVD of music videos joins his six previous diamond albums: No Fences, Garth Brooks, Double Live, Sevens, The Hit and Ropin’ the World.

Brooks has surpassed The Beatles, who have six diamond releases, but the Fab Four outrank him in total number of certified units sold.

Brooks' wife, Trisha Yearwood, with whom he's been on tour since 2014, announced the accomplishment at his Sept. 23 show in Fresno, California.

The country icon said he will release a new single Oct. 13 from his in-the-works upcoming album.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7525599/garth-brooks-beatles-historic-seventh-diamond-album

No Elvis? No MJ?
Well...., Garth is only the USA musician, nobody outside the USA knows him, and he sells his records only in the USA...., but still impressive.
MJ has the TOP selling album ever, and the 3 other albums are close to the diamond album certificate, but NO Elvis..., he is so overrated and a fan-made best seller... if none of his albums is among the best sellers.

No Elvis? No MJ?
Well...., Garth is only the USA musician, nobody outside the USA knows him, and he sells his records only in the USA...., but still impressive.
MJ has the TOP selling album ever, and the 3 other albums are close to the diamond album certificate, but NO Elvis..., he is so overrated and a fan-made best seller... if none of his albums is among the best sellers.

Aw, no need to be so hard on Garth (unless has said some mess about MJ that I don't know about) I'm sure people outside of the US know him.
In the end when it comes to being an all a rounder no one, and I repeat no one is touching MJ anyway.
Not Elvis or Garth Brooks LOL.
MJ wasn't/isn't JUST his sales or JUST his amazing performances, he was/is a culmination of both along with all of his talents such as songwriting, singing like a Instrument, dancing, etc. :D

I do wish MJ's estate would shell out some money for certs though. :yes:

I also hope you don't mind me asking which three MJ albums are close to diamond album certification, and are they close by RIAA standards or for somewhere else because RIAA is only America only AFAIK.
This certification stuff can get a bit confusing LOL. :)

Edit for those who may not want to read everything I typed: TLDR, Michael had/has the sales AND the talent and creativity to back it up, it's why he's the standard.
When someone is compared to or weighed up against another solo artist it's always MJ because MJ's name is synonymous with being the best, and no one else's.
Almost everyone wants to be MJ and not anyone else because MJ wasn't just a good musician, singer, songwriter, or dancer but is instead one of the very best ever (THE very best at dancing and singing IMO) at all four along with being a sales monster.
AFAIK, the only thing he couldn't do was play an instrument.
All of that is why no other solo artist is touching MJ.

So us MJ fans shouldn't care about the relatively small accomplishments of another artist. :)

Last edited:
Aw, no need to be so hard on Garth (unless has said some mess about MJ that I don't know about) I'm sure people outside of the US know him.
In the end when it comes to being an all a rounder no one, and I repeat no one is touching MJ anyway.
Not Elvis or Garth Brooks LOL.
MJ wasn't/isn't JUST his sales or JUST his amazing performances, he was/is a culmination of both along with all of his talents such as songwriting, singing like a Instrument, dancing, etc. :D

I also hope you don't mind me asking which three MJ albums are close to diamond album certification, and are they close by RIAA standards or for somewhere else because RIAA is only America only AFAIK.

I have never heard of him tbh and I do keep up with the charts. He's not a current artist is he? He looks older in the picture (not that it necesarily means anything). Anyway, to have that kind of commercial success is an incredible achievement so congrats to him :)

I don't even see what Elvis or MJ have to do with it. No one's going to think less of MJ just because someone else breaks a sales record. Nobody even knows or cares about these records apart from die hard stans. It's just a nice anecdote, nothing more. I have literally never heard anyone say "I like Thriller because it's the best-selling album of all time". Nobody thinks Rihanna is a bigger artist than MJ just because she had more #1 hits, lol.

Congratulations to Garth Brooks. Always nice to see artists get recognised for their acheivements.

I have never heard of him tbh and I do keep up with the charts. He's not a current artist is he? He looks older in the picture (not that it necesarily means anything). Anyway, to have that kind of commercial success is an incredible achievement so congrats to him :)
No, he's not so young anymore. Back in 92, my brother moved back in with me, and he came back raving on Garth Brooks-first time I'd heard of him. First time I heard my brother talk about a country singer too-he was always a hard rock fan.
Ironically, as the new big thing that year, Garth was picked to sing the National Anthem at the Superbowl in 93-same Superbowl that Michael gave his memorable half time performance. So that's when I first saw him.

I never paid that much attention to Garth until last December and I watched a special of his Vegas show-and I was shocked and pleased to find out that he is practically a musical historian-and his love and respect for all genres-especially R&B-was a real treat. Congrats to him.

How does someone with practically no fan-base outside the states get this many record sales? I mean, he's hardly known to the non-US public.

He is absolutely massive here in Ireland and always has been. He's a stand-up guy imo, the guy is a gentleman and I would imagine most households have his Ultimate Hits album and a lot of his early albums, especially those outside the capital Dublin. He's one of Justin Timberlake's biggest influences.

Garth Brooks

How does someone with practically no fan-base outside the states get this many record sales? I mean, he's hardly known to the non-US public.
This is US sales, so it does not matter how well known he is in other countries. Since China has around a billion people, theoretically it is possible for an act in that country to outsell Thriller, without selling anywhere else. Same for India. The US has a lot of people. That's why some acts from other countries try to make it here. Platinum in the USA is a million, but platinum in other countries is a smaller amount. So that should tell you something. Country music is a big thing here, and Garth has a lot to do with that. Before Garth & Shania Twain, with a few exceptions like Kenny Rogers and Alabama, country albums didn't usually get huge sales, let alone blockbuster sales. The Eagles had some country in their music, and they're probably the biggest selling American band here. Maybe you also don't know that country music is popular in Jamaica, St. Lucia, and some countries in Africa. The banjo did originate in Africa, and brought over with slavery. So that might have something to do with it. There's also Japanese country acts in Japan. Even 1960s British Invasion acts remade country songs or used country in their music.

So us MJ fans shouldn't care about the relatively small accomplishments of another artist. :)

afaik, by the new rules of RIAA, new certificatios are based on, in fact, everything - physical sales, download, stream...., thats why Thriller has reached 32 million units yet in the USA.
By the very same new rules, BAD, Dangerous and Off The Wall are the 3 albums ... very close to the 10x platinum.
HIStory album by 2000 had got 7 platinum aka 3.5 million x 2 (afaik, the 3.5M sales I still saw somewhere 10 years ago)

^^Any idea about Number Ones? That's MJ's biggest selling hits album.

I read the Wikipedia list and the 3 don't show at all. They must not have been certified in some time.

And Country isn't like it used to be. If anything you could call it country pop rock. Sounds more like old fashioned pop to me these days-sing along stuff.

It is sad that someone like Garth Brooks has sold so many albums, when he is virtually unknown outside the USA. How is it these country artists get so many diamond albums, yet they are hardly cultural phenomenons like Michael Jackson, Elvis or the Beatles?

I find Brook's music sentimental, sappy and a lot of hackneyed cliches, I can't see it appealing to anyone outside of the American heartland and a mostly redneck audience of Billy Bob type Trump voters.

It is sad that someone like Garth Brooks has sold so many albums, when he is virtually unknown outside the USA. How is it these country artists get so many diamond albums, yet they are hardly cultural phenomenons like Michael Jackson, Elvis or the Beatles?

I find Brook's music sentimental, sappy and a lot of hackneyed cliches, I can't see it appealing to anyone outside of the American heartland and a mostly redneck audience of Billy Bob type Trump voters.

Currently reading the biography of Dolly Parton called "Smart Blonde" I have always loved her music and personality and can see pass the big boobs and wigs, she had a really hard upbringing and was forced on the stage very young. Still can't get over the fact her sister is called "Willadene", that is like the most hee haw name I have ever heard.

I love a lot of her songs and actually admire a lot of country music. It runs strong in my rural South Island New Zealand roots.
Just sayin'! Lmao!

mjprince1976;4168673 said:

Well actually AFAIK he's shown support for Obama, and even said this after Michael Brown verdict, “We landed in NY last night to the news of the civil unrest that was going on in our nation. To spend the day promoting our stuff like nothing was wrong seemed distasteful to me,” Brooks says in a statement. “I will gladly reschedule any or all appearances the networks will allow.”, so all in all I doubt he wants to (or at least hope he doesn't want to) appeal to Trump supporters, and as for what you said about his music I haven't listened to him, but if what you say is true then trust me he isn't the only one who's music fits that description.
Infact there are artist that are/were MUCH more popular then him and MUCH more unoriginal and cliched, so I see no need to go in on him in particular.

Last edited:
he is absolutely massive here in ireland and always has been. He's a stand-up guy imo, the guy is a gentleman and i would imagine most households have his ultimate hits album and a lot of his early albums, especially those outside the capital dublin. He's one of justin timberlake's biggest influences.

really?

Re: Garth Brooks

This is US sales, so it does not matter how well known he is in other countries. Since China has around a billion people, theoretically it is possible for an act in that country to outsell Thriller, without selling anywhere else. Same for India. The US has a lot of people. That's why some acts from other countries try to make it here. Platinum in the USA is a million, but platinum in other countries is a smaller amount. So that should tell you something. Country music is a big thing here, and Garth has a lot to do with that. Before Garth & Shania Twain, with a few exceptions like Kenny Rogers and Alabama, country albums didn't usually get huge sales, let alone blockbuster sales. The Eagles had some country in their music, and they're probably the biggest selling American band here. Maybe you also don't know that country music is popular in Jamaica, St. Lucia, and some countries in Africa. The banjo did originate in Africa, and brought over with slavery. So that might have something to do with it. There's also Japanese country acts in Japan. Even 1960s British Invasion acts remade country songs or used country in their music.

Yeah but sales and 'popularity' in those aforementioned countries is negligible. Reggae/Dancehall music far outstrips Country music in Jamaica. K-pop outstrips Country music Japan.

AGAIN, I will never understand how a man that unknown to the rest of the world, can have that many records. And remember, Country music within the states is not even the number the 3rd or 4th most popular music genre.

Last edited:
I have no idea what this has to do with Michael (I refer to the comparations in this thread to MJ). He broke a Beatles record not an MJ record. BTW, Ultimate Hits is a double album. This means for it to be certified 10 million in the US it means it sold 5 million copies. Still great, especially in this climate (although the country buying audience is probably an older, more conservative crowd that still buys records in the traditional way - and that is probably a factor here too) but I wanted to point it out that it doesn't mean it sold 10 million copies. It sold 5 million.

As for Brooks' global popularity. While there are probably other places where he has some popularity outside of the US (Ireland has been mentioned), but he isn't really outside of the Anglo-Saxon world. I would definitely not consider him a global act in the mould of MJ, Madonna, Beatles etc. Where I live in continental Europe he is hardly even known and people don't care much for country here.

AGAIN, I will never understand how a man that unknown to the rest of the world, can have that many records. And remember, Country music within the states is not even the number the 3rd or 4th most popular music genre.

His records are US records, not global records. This latest certification record is also a US record (RIAA), not global. And in the US country is popular.

Last edited:

He was due to come here a few years ago and do a few concerts in Croke Park (One of the biggest stadiums in Europe) The demand was so high that he added more dates making it 5 concerts. The deal fell through because the stadium is owned by the GAA, the Irish sports association who only allow a certain number of concerts in Croke Park every year due to it also being used for hurling and football. One Direction did two concerts so the Brooks shows fell through and it became known as Garthgate! There was absolute mayhem over the series of concerts being cancelled, fans were travelling from around the world to see him. There was residence who lived near the stadium also object to 5 concerts because of the noise and disruption that would be caused.
https://youtu.be/6ubWTBUX05Q

This was Garth Brooks response to the whole thing.
https://youtu.be/sxwzblNGFck

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Garth Brooks

And remember, Country music within the states is not even the number the 3rd or 4th most popular music genre.
Then how is it that country has 2 or 3 different award shows exclusive to it that are broadcast on regular network TV in the US, not on cable or syndicated? There's not another genre that can claim that. No other genre has even 1 award show on network television. Country is also the genre that has the highest ratio of actual CD sales, not downloads, paid or free. When the Eagles 2007 album was released it was sold exclusively in Wal Mart, where country is also a popular seller, since a lot of Wal Marts are in "heartland" areas. There's also the case that Lionel Richie had his highest selling album of new recordings since the 1980s with the country duet album Tuskegee and Darius Rucker (Hootie & The Blowfish) resurrected his career by going country after failing when releasing an R&B album. Farm Aid, which tends to feature country acts and also heartland rock performers like Bob Seger & John Mellencamp, has been going on since 1985. Even Billy Ray Cyrus debut album sold over 9 million, and his popularity didn't last that long. Westerns were a big thing at one time, and country is associated with westerns. Some of the early singing stars in the US were singing cowboys like Gene Autry & Tex Ritter. Hee Haw lasted 28 years, which is more than most music shows in the US. Rodeos are also popular in the US. Who do you think most of the rodeo audience is? Rap & techno music fans? :rofl: Traditional country might not be a big seller, but that can be said for the traditional style in any genre. Taylor Swift was considered country until her last album and she's one of the biggest selling acts of today. Here's some Youtube numbers for a few popular country acts today.

Blake Shelton - Came Here To Forget 18,513,805
Blake Shelton - Sangria 28,350,788
Rascal Flatts - What Hurts The Most 69,644,391
Florida Georgia Line - H.O.L.Y. 77,579,987
Florida Georgia Line ft. Nelly - Cruise (Remix) 60,774,768
Luke Bryan - Huntin', Fishin' And Lovin' Every Day 35,954,787
Miranda Lambert ft. Carrie Underwood - Somethin' Bad 56,275,785
Various Artists ~ Forever Country 3,231,174 (this video just came out last week and has veteran & newer singers)
Alan Jackson - Remember When 58,715,077
Jason Aldean - Burnin' It Down 54,024,325
Darius Rucker - Wagon Wheel 80,809,803
Lady Antebellum - Need You Now 163,670,550
Lady Antebellum - Just A Kiss 61,826,456
Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together 418,068,002

Those are pretty good numbers for something primarily popular in one country, rather than worldwide for an act like Psy. Jazz and blues doesn't get those views. As for being popular in one place, I guess Bollywood music & movies are more popular in India than elsewhere, but that doesn't negate its popularity in its home country.

by Jim Casey | August 18, 2020 | The Country Daily
Garth-Brooks-TA1.jpg

Garth Brooks’ 1993 album, In Pieces, was certified for sales of 10 million units (Diamond status) by the RIAA on Aug. 14.

Garth now has nine Diamond-certified albums: Garth Brooks, No Fences, Ropin’ the Wind, The Chase, The Hits, Sevens, Double Live, The Ultimate Hits and In Pieces.

“The crazy thing that I try to…I try to digest in my head is…Garth Brooks, No Fences, Ropin’, The Chase, In Pieces and The Hits—the first six albums of our career—you guys have taken Diamond,” said Garth on his Facebook Live series, Inside Studio G, on Aug. 17. “That’s crazy.”

Garth is the only artist—in any genre—to have nine albums certified for sales of 10 million units in the United States. The Beatles are No. 2 on the all-time list with six Diamond-certified albums.

“Now, go ahead—ask me, ask me! What is my favorite Diamond of the nine Diamonds? I’ll tell you right now, The Chase. Hands down,” added Garth. “It was just so loving, so…so forgiving, so patient, so ‘all those beautiful things’ [but] man, did it get the floor wiped up with it with reviews and just…stuff. And so that was the album that really, really was my baby.”

Again I can not see the appeal of this music. He is practically unknown in our country. And we have a HUUUGGGEEE country scene. We all know and revere artists like Charley Pride (RIP), Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash and even Billy Ray Cyrus etc - but Garth is basically an unknown quantity here.

Still he is better than these new artists and redneck grabbers like any artist with the name of a state and line at the end, Kenny Chesney (His concerts cause riots - but because they are white - its good ol boys letting off steam, if it was a rap concert, they would be feral thugs that need macing and riot shields), Toby Keith and those types of artists.

I think it is true some country artists would have songs like "I kissed ma baby wit ma fist", "Take that turban outta here", "Trump is our god", "Don't look down my dress unless you mean it" etc.

Back