Reason for no new release news or Dangerous 25

Andymachine

Proud Member
I have been giving this some thought and I am VERY surprised we have had not even a sniff of news over new release whether it be an album / D 25 whatever. I am wondering if it is because of the extremely bad publicity MJ has gotten this year and especially in the last few months. I wondering if the Estate are hoping or waiting til it " dies " down because it would not be a good move at the moment. I personally have never seen such terrible articles about MJ like the ones we have had this year since 1993 and 2003 and in some cases it has been worse because he is no longer here to defend himself. Could this be the reason why Estate are reluctant to release anything this year or for quite some time?

I mean they just sat and let those false rumours spread like wildfire all over the Internet so I don't think they care that much.

Agreed. I think they probably have realised they have made their buck from him.

You'd think that someone in charge of a person's estate should actually be the sort to put the deceased's wishes above their own. I think Michael would want people to remember his music more than any of the scandals...particularly on benchmarks like notable anniversaries.

Now, come on, they HAVE made statements to the press (calling Wade's new claims with the new lawyers "silly", etc) and they've addressed others. I don't personally want to see them fighting it out in the trashiest of the trash tabloids and that's the only place it is right now.

They've done a good job in court so far too.

I would like to see them hire an excellent PR firm-just in case this does start making it to the mainstream press.

I don't think the Estate are put off MJ releases due to bad publicity. They may not proceed with certain releases due to certain ongoing legal disputes?

Either way, despite all of these awful lies published daily online, the general public seems to care very little. Michael's music continues to sell, radio stations continue to play his music, TV shows like Lip-sync Battle and others continue to use his music and name to promote their shows. Like Michael said, lies run sprints the truth runs marathons.

Although I certainly would prefer them to be more proactive in defending MJ's name, the general public seems not to give a shit.

Keep in mind it's not unusual for the Estate to hold back any announcement of a release until a month or so before it hits the shelves. They did this with every posthumous project from 2010 onwards, except for Bad 25 (which was announced a good 4 months before release. Those were a long 4 months...).

By this point, I'm not really holding out for anything D25, but that is something to keep in mind I suppose.

There's three months left in the year; unless the Estate's planning something for Christmas, I'm guessing they've kiboshed "Dangerous 25".

Poor performance of Bad 25, of course. Also media and general public reception of the original release with the treatement of the album in the media since then. Also no Quincy Jones which for "music" critics automatically means bad MJ album.

^^ Can't kibosh what was never put into production.
You mean they never did a single thing to even start honoring "Dangerous"?! Wow...talk about laziness bordering on cruelty. Its only Michael's most-successful album during the later part of his life, selling 7 million copies in the U.S. over ten years compared to 3.5 million for "HIStory" and 2 million for "Invincible".

You mean they never did a single thing to even start honoring "Dangerous"?! Wow...talk about laziness bordering on cruelty. Its only Michael's most-successful album during the later part of his life, selling 7 million copies in the U.S. over ten years compared to 3.5 million for "HIStory" and 2 million for "Invincible".
We don't know anything for fact. It's all been speculation for a couple of years now.

I just hope they are not on this "Quincy" legacy kick because the post Quincy work was still phenomenal.

I just hope they are not on this "Quincy" legacy kick because the post Quincy work was still phenomenal.

if the estate only want to acknowledge the Quincy albums, they don't care how phenomenal his work after Quincy was

Last edited:
The focus is not on recognition of any specific album; it's about which reissue is likely to sell the most.

It's a tragic fact that reissues almost always do poorly on the charts, regardless of bonus features or promotion. This is why most reissues are very subdued, featuring little more than a new cover/booklet and an audio remaster (e.g., any of the Beatles reissues over the years). If you're lucky, you may find one with a few new tunes on it.

Bad25 proved that even the Quincy Jones albums aren't guaranteed successes - certified available sales numbers suggest that it failed to even break 500k copies worldwide (though that could change if any other information is available).

And this year's Off the Wall repackage is believed to have done worse.

Keep in mind these are two of the most acclaimed albums to ever hit the market, commercially and critically. Bad is even Michael Jackson's second best selling album (Off the Wall is fourth). Both reissues took different approaches - one with a massive number of bonus features, the other with nothing other than a documentary - and both did poorly.

Dangerous does not hold the clout nor public appreciation that the Quincy Jones albums do, and likely never will. Disappointing, but a sad fact. There is reason to believe, then, that a reissue would do worse commercially.

They cannot repackage an album simply because the fans want it, and if they do, it will almost definitely be closer to OTW 2016 than Bad25. The less money they put into it, the less money they can lose when it inevitably fails. The estate, after all, is a business first and foremost, and they need to make business decisions, even if it isn't necessarily to our benefit.

we need some more 90's-00's MJ love given to us from the estate... Many many fans were made (that come here) POST Bad era.. shoot some Post passing away!

Um, you realize how insane you sound, right? You know that re-issues are done all of the time, right? The idea that future re-issues can't be done because they only sold hundreds of thousands of copies is laughable at best, right?

Honestly, I'm not all that surprised or disappointed by the lack of news about any releases regarding Dangerous. I don't have the greatest faith in the estate's releases, although I've been pleased with some of them. I feel Dangerous stands just fine on its own.

Um, you realize how insane you sound, right? You know that re-issues are done all of the time, right? The idea that future re-issues can't be done because they only sold hundreds of thousands of copies is laughable at best, right?

I never said future reissues can't be done.

Most reissues comprise of nothing more than new packaging. Occasionally you'll come across some that may include some level of bonus features, such as some demos or bonus audio of some sort, but that's where it more often than not ends.

But to do another like Bad25, with four discs, various "special edition" packages, and TONS of merchandise?

That can't happen unless there's massive demand for it on a worldwide scale. That's hundreds of thousands of dollars poured into a project and not nearly enough money received to break even.

Look at the Off the Wall reissue. Other than the Spike Lee documentary and the new packaging, we got nothing. As useless of a product as it is, it was ultimately a smart move. If it failed (which I believe it did), not much money would be lost.

I imagine the same would be done if Dangerous25 ever happened. No concert DVD/Blu-Ray, no big packaging effort. Just the original album plus a second disc with demos and some new tunes.

And simply, it's laughable to expect something of Bad25 proportions with every project. Especially for an album that, while excellent, does not have half the cultural or public appreciation that its predecessors have (and those very same predecessors also failed commercially in terms of how much money was certainly poured into creating them).

Was there ever a Dangerous SE? I tried to google it and got different answers. If there was, did it have special material like the other 3?

Was there ever a Dangerous SE? I tried to google it and got different answers. If there was, did it have special material like the other 3?

As the original Dangerous fills the full 77 minutes of the CD there was no room for any extra material as there was on OTW, Thriller & Bad.

At the time, two other versions were considered. One extra disc of material and one version that simply replaced the album version of Dangerous with the original version (that was on the Ultimate Collection). So in the end all we got was an inferior booklet & backcover.

Hey, AlwaysThere! Check out this website! You'll see what happens all of the time for other recording artists! In some cases for people who never sold much in the first place! SuperDeluxeEdition.com

The normal rules don't apply to Michael Jackson. He is an international worldwide global brand. I love those Superdeluxeversions and regulary visit the site as some of my other favorite artists release brilliant boxsets. MJ is a completely different brand though, and marketed in a completely different way.

NONE of which prevents any types of releases from being done. You all don't seem to know and understand how reality works. If someone has more success in particular financially then more opportunities exist for certain outcomes, products, and services. We are talking about the world's best selling recording artist. There is no reason "Dangerous 25" cannot and should not happen. The end and amen.

NONE of which prevents any types of releases from being done. You all don't seem to know and understand how reality works. If someone has more success in particular financially then more opportunities exist for certain outcomes, products, and services. We are talking about the world's best selling recording artist. There is no reason "Dangerous 25" cannot and should not happen. The end and amen.

Always so rude. No ones saying it shouldn't happen but just that there's no evidence that it is.

I think we ALL understand how reality works when it comes to the Estate/Sony in regards to MJ releases. Your missunderstanding the point. We would all love Super Deluxe Versions of every album but it ain't happening. That is how reality has been working thus far. Apart from Bad25.

Wow! Who's to say something isn't happening?! Lol. All things are possible if they think that they can make money off it! I've already gotten the lot of you to admit that they do so for other recording artists so why not Michael? That's all. If Michael does not have extended and deluxe editions of his l.p.s in the future for all sorts reasons and different manners then he will be one of the few. And that's probably because those who have not yet are because of certain business reasons. I think we are seeing certain jealous people who can't afford more than a twenty dollar item and therefore become resentful to those who can and think everything should bend to their will. Ooops. Did I just hit the nail on the head?

I actually have no idea what your talking about? And to be quite honest, I don't think you have any idea what the rest of us are talking about. You are talking to people who've been fans for 10, 20 and 30plus years. Jealous of what exactly? We all want deluxe box sets I'm pretty sure. There is no need to be so rude and childish towards people when nobody has said anything to you.

Dangerous

There is no reason "Dangerous 25" cannot and should not happen.
What's the point of a Dangerous 25? Listen to the original album. It still exists. It's not like Dangerous is out of print or is rare and hard to find.

Back