Anyone know how expensive certifications are?

LOL, I guess no one knows.
I've always wanted to know ever since I found out that artist have to pay for their certs.
I also want to know because if they turn out to be expensive it would explain why the estate AFAIK doesn't gets MJ's stuff certified too often. :)

Last edited:
Interesting, I heard stories that some Record Companies were so ham fisted, they would merely buy a record (Usually the album or the single that had reached the certification) and spray paint the thing gold or silver and frame it. My guess thatw as mostly for one hit wonders and artists with novelty and viral songs.

I doubt that happened for MJ though, he must have had hundreds of them as he had silver, gold, platinum, multiplatinum and even diamond awards everywehre. Even as far back as 1989 he was given a special award for selling a hundred million albums and I mean that is just amazing. He would have to have near a thousand, because if the albums were #1 in like 50 countries and sold mega platinum, theres a trophy or award for each country, where would he store them all?

Interesting, I heard stories that some Record Companies were so ham fisted, they would merely buy a record (Usually the album or the single that had reached the certification) and spray paint the thing gold or silver and frame it. My guess thatw as mostly for one hit wonders and artists with novelty and viral songs.

I doubt that happened for MJ though, he must have had hundreds of them as he had silver, gold, platinum, multiplatinum and even diamond awards everywehre. Even as far back as 1989 he was given a special award for selling a hundred million albums and I mean that is just amazing. He would have to have near a thousand, because if the albums were #1 in like 50 countries and sold mega platinum, theres a trophy or award for each country, where would he store them all?
I always thought that's what Berry Gordy did for his Motown artists-I read he never did RIAA certs, but I'm sure he had a pretty good idea what the numbers were. And they were spray painted records. Maybe that's an urban myth.

And I'm sure all those awards are in those four humongous warehouses the Estate has.

Back