Michael Jackson Loved Thanksgiving — A Chef's Remembrance

valeryjackson

Proud Member
Akasha Richmond, chef/owner at AKASHA and AR Cucina, was once a caterer with an impressive client list. She recently shared with us why Thanksgiving always makes her think of touring with Michael Jackson.

"Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Maybe because it’s all about food, family and friends, and not a religious day. I started cooking large Thanksgiving dinners for friends in college, and after I started working as a private chef and a caterer, it has always been a busy day for me.
0-0-00-0-0-0.png

Some of my favorite times were cooking for Michael Jackson on Thanksgiving. It was one of his favorite meals. Sometimes he requested it when it wasn’t even the holiday, so while on tour with him, I would always bring a few cans of cranberries in my traveling pantry.

I did two Thanksgiving Day dinners for Michael while in Australia. One year we were in Perth, and I cooked with the some of the band and a few others for the entire crew (over 200 people). Everyone made his or her family’s favorite dish. We couldn’t get turkey, so we roasted emu, and we had to have cases of canned cranberries flown in from the States. The concert promoter offered to do all the décor for our big dinner, and to my shock and dismay, they decorated the ballroom at the hotel in red, white and blue! I will never forget it!

My tradition: I order sushi for all my hard working chefs the night before the holiday and we play Michael Jackson music in the kitchen all day long. I always think of him on Thanksgiving."

Source:LAweekly

I never thought Michael would have roasted emu for Thanksgiving. That's weird. But still I really loved that story because I always love Thanksgiving which I always looooooove turkey.

This story sounds a bit off to be honest. Im Australian and you cant just go somewhere and order an emu to roast like a turkey. I know some people eat emu meat in the form of steaks but its not common at all. Especially back in the 90s eating emu wasnt something you really would of heard of at that time and it still isnt even to this day. Plus we have turkeys and chickens like everyone else does, there would be no need to go and cook an emu. *lol* Sounds fishy to me.

This story sounds a bit off to be honest. Im Australian and you cant just go somewhere and order an emu to roast like a turkey. e.
I admit I had to go to Wikipedia and look up emus because I wasn't sure if I knew what one was (but I pictured it correctly). But they wrote that they farmed them after 1970 and it sounded like people did eat them.

Anyway, I thought it was so funny that she kept bringing up cranberries and I'm tickled to death that Michael is another person that loves cranberries from a can like me. I hope he liked them in the shape of a can when you dump it on the plate too. One of my favorite things to eat.

I admit I had to go to Wikipedia and look up emus because I wasn't sure if I knew what one was (but I pictured it correctly). But they wrote that they farmed them after 1970 and it sounded like people did eat them.

Anyway, I thought it was so funny that she kept bringing up cranberries and I'm tickled to death that Michael is another person that loves cranberries from a can like me. I hope he liked them in the shape of a can when you dump it on the plate too. One of my favorite things to eat.

I googled it as well but imo they are too cute to eat, lol:

1a914a65fa69e31c04a3dc7a8be3795b.jpg

Never heard of cranberries from a can either. I assumed you had to heat it up first but you just dump them straight on the plate? Cold cranberries with roasted emu, I think I'll skip (but I'll gladly watch Michael eat though) ;D

Ooooh-they ARE cute. I wouldn't want to eat one at all. :( I didn't think about heating up cranberries, but I think people that make them from scratch do. That's if you want to be "fancy." Lol. This is what I grew up on:

687b8510bd3e158f_3064763866_ceb4d8fed6.xlarge.jpg

I googled it as well but imo they are too cute to eat, lol:

1a914a65fa69e31c04a3dc7a8be3795b.jpg

Never heard of cranberries from a can either. I assumed you had to heat it up first but you just dump them straight on the plate? Cold cranberries with roasted emu, I think I'll skip (but I'll gladly watch Michael eat though);D
OMG, you like to watch him eat too.:bugeyed
He isn't seen on video eating too often but the few times he was I really enjoyed watching, LOL. :rofl:

Ooooh-they ARE cute. I wouldn't want to eat one at all. :( I didn't think about heating up cranberries, but I think people that make them from scratch do. That's if you want to be "fancy." Lol. This is what I grew up on:

Wow, thanks Barbee :ciao: for the piccie! I never seen that before lol.
So, this is another reason why I love cranberries now :cheeky:
Though I only know it in Juice or frozen cranberries. I really love to drink the juice though.

but awww, I would never eat such a cute bird though watching Michael eat would be on my list too lol :blush:

My sister has made them from scratch and yes they were heated. But I'm with you..give me the canned version any day. Thanksgiving and Christmas are just not the same without them.

You guys are making me curious :blush: I've never had cranberries because they only sell the dried or frozen kind here and they don't look too appealing but if Michael liked that canned stuff it must be good because he was a notoriously picky eater, lol.

@ Pink Diamond Princess, especially for you:

g5z56IqkWE4.jpg

MJ-eating-pancakes-michael-jackson-31943965-500-333.jpg

pkJdreYKFT0.jpg

3025166_1348934061495.6res_438_300.jpg

Very-rare-MJ-eating-photo-michael-jackson-17373680-600-788.jpg

442723-michael-jackson-michael-jackson-eating-a-pear.jpg

1455395_1423507648632_full.png

^ Looks like he had chicken for breakfast. That's so Michael :lol:

You guys are making me curious :blush: I've never had cranberries because they only sell the dried or frozen kind here and they don't look too appealing but if Michael liked that canned stuff it must be good because he was a notoriously picky eater, lol.

@ Pink Diamond Princess, especially for you:

g5z56IqkWE4.jpg

MJ-eating-pancakes-michael-jackson-31943965-500-333.jpg

pkJdreYKFT0.jpg

3025166_1348934061495.6res_438_300.jpg

Very-rare-MJ-eating-photo-michael-jackson-17373680-600-788.jpg

442723-michael-jackson-michael-jackson-eating-a-pear.jpg

1455395_1423507648632_full.png

^ Looks like he had chicken for breakfast. That's so Michael :lol:
I love the pics!

Back