Was "Gone Too Soon" really a single?! At least on c.d. commercially?

AlexRox

Proud Member
Last edited:
According to Wikipedia (not the most reliable source but just bear with me) it was the ninth and final single off Dangerous released December 1st,1993,shortly after the abrupt conclusion of the Dangerous Tour. Very few physical singles exist currently,with the most rare being the Australian version of the single.

U. S. A. 45

tumblr_oh4kp75oir1rw606ko1_r7_540.jpg

Surely this is something you could have Googled?

Re: U. K. 45

I grew up right as CD singles were mostly dying off and iTunes took precedent. I definitely prefer iTunes, it's much more convenient and less than half the price, but I do miss the fact that they used to include cool bonuses such as remixes and instrumentals on the Single CDs. Sometimes they still do on iTunes, but it's pretty rare.

Thanks JohnC. Any who, how, where and or why I was curious as to what anyone here knew themselves because you can't always believe what you read! SO the understanding is yes, it was a single...on seven inch vinyl and cassette...BUT the c.d. of "Gone Too Soon" WAS a compilation e.p. of hits! Pretty fascinating if you ask me! I'm not sure it is correctly acknowledged and i.d.ed as such which makes if far more fascinating! I find this to have been a constant problem within the music industry often not i.d.ing their products (and sometimes projects and or even songs for that matter!) correctly! With the standard of an e.p. being twenty minutes or less "Gone Too Soon" on c.d. at least...is without doubt an e.p.! HIStoric the c.d. singles that had more than one remix were i.d.ed as "maxi-singles"...

P.S.! Those pictures are GORGEOUS! I also love how the seven inch vinyl single promotes the "music home video" "Dangerous: The Short Films"! :) As well as of course the studio l.p. "Dangerous"!

Give In To Me CD single was also a hits collection. A rock E.P of GITM, Dirty Dianal and Beat It.

Im impressed with this. Had no idea they were making 45s in the 90s.
Of course I also had no idea they were making cd singles either since I had pretty much stopped going to record stores (they were closing left and right). I only learned about them here.
I thought we had just gone from 45s straight to itunes.

45s

Of course I also had no idea they were making cd singles either since I had pretty much stopped going to record stores (they were closing left and right). I only learned about them here.
Some songs come out on 45 today, but a 45 today costs between $4-$10. You can buy an album CD at Wal-Mart for $10. They even still make 8-track tapes now, but mostly underground rock bands release albums on 8-track. The major labels don't release 8-tracks, but some do release albums on cassettes. There's both Cassette Store Day & Record Store Day at some record stores each year.

The last single I bought on a 45 was Pumps And A Bump by MC Hammer, which came out in 1994.

CD singles were the best in the 90's. Buying IDK how many different ones with different remixes, those were the good times

CD singles were the best in the 90's. Buying IDK how many different ones with different remixes, those were the good times

Buying the BOTDF single is one of my favourite memories. Mainly, because I bought the tape first, then my mother told me I had enough to get the CD, so I went back and exchanged it.

Loved the Refugee Camp mix straight away. I remember the limited edition red sleeve was available, but I wanted the regular Single because it had the HIStory tour photo and I was going to see him in 2 months.

Re: 45s

Some songs come out on 45 today, but a 45 today costs between $4-$10. You can buy an album CD at Wal-Mart for $10. They even still make 8-track tapes now, but mostly underground rock bands release albums on 8-track. The major labels don't release 8-tracks, but some do release albums on cassettes. There's both Cassette Store Day & Record Store Day at some record stores each year.
Yup! 45's here (Ireland) cost between 15 to 20 euros for record store day. I was looking at some the other day in my mates shop thinking "I could buy an album for this!"

Buying the BOTDF single is one of my favourite memories. Mainly, because I bought the tape first, then my mother told me I had enough to get the CD, so I went back and exchanged it.

Loved the Refugee Camp mix straight away. I remember the limited edition red sleeve was available, but I wanted the regular Single because it had the HIStory tour photo and I was going to see him in 2 months.
Are you me in some sort of parallel universe up the road?? I sort of had a similar experience. Got the red version but wanted the Smooth Criminal tour pic version also. Got it eventually. Got the Blood On The Dance Floor album and went to the concert in Dublin. What a great time to be an MJ fan!!

"Pumps And Bumps" DuranDuran?! You must have made a mistake purchase! That was SAD! And Michael'sLover you are right. Everything SUCKS now...:cry: :upside_down::sc_imbad:

$4-10??
And to think I used to cut Jackson 5 45s off the back of AlphaBits cereal boxes when I was a kid. haha. They played too-just fine.

Saw a nice news piece the other day on Record Store Day-I think we still have two real record stores here (and in a city our size too-shameful), but that's it-
I look for albums in Thrift stores and flea markets, mainly.

Oh, Tony R. You are right. That's cool. Thanks for pointing that out. Rawk.

$4-10??
And to think I used to cut Jackson 5 45s off the back of AlphaBits cereal boxes when I was a kid. haha. They played too-just fine.

I've always wanted those Alpha Bits singles

Last edited:
Barbee0715 would they not get worn down over time from playing them?

Hammer

"Pumps And Bumps" DuranDuran?! You must have made a mistake purchase!
You should like Pumps And A Bump since you keep crying about Dangerous 25. Hammer's song was co-produced by Teddy Riley. Teddy also did the remixes and Aaron Hall from Guy does some ad libs on one of them.

Are you me in some sort of parallel universe up the road?? I sort of had a similar experience. Got the red version but wanted the Smooth Criminal tour pic version also. Got it eventually. Got the Blood On The Dance Floor album and went to the concert in Dublin. What a great time to be an MJ fan!!

Ha go way! Yeah 95-97 were the best years for me. There was something new every other week.

Back