Spotify's year end list: Michael is number one soul artist!

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
Top Artists by Genre:
• Classic Rock: The Beatles
• Classical: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
• Country (New): Luke Bryan
• Country (Old): Johnny Cash
• EDM: The Chainsmokers
• Emo: Panic! At The Disco
• Hip Hop: Drake
• Jazz: Nina Simone
• Latin: Enrique Iglesias
• Metal: Metallica
• New Age: Enya
• Pop: Drake
• R&B: Rihanna
• Reggae: Bob Marley & The Wailers
• Reggaeton: Enrique Iglesias
• Rock: Red Hot Chili Peppers
• Soul: Michael Jackson
Also, Michael consistently streams better then all of the other non-touring (meaning that they can't tour because they've either passed away or have disbanded) and/or deceased artists/bands on this list, and this is without his visuals because it's Spotify.

The King continues to slay.
#TheKing'sReignContinues
#WhatLongevityLooksLike
#KingOfTheMusicIndustry

Edit: Just checked and it seems that Michael streams better the some of the living artists on the list too.:yes:

Here's a link to the rest of the list for those who care.:)
http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/7596025/drake-rihanna-top-spotifys-year-end-lists?utm_source=twitter

Last edited:
Michael will live forever through his incredible music

Thanks for finding this PDP-I read an article about Spotify's top artists today but it mainly talked about Drake being the most streamed artist ever. Skimmed the lists and couldn't find Michael's name. Thank you for going deeper.

(Can't believe Drake is that popular and I have yet to hear one of his songs. He has been on some award shows I've watched, but I guess I'm not paying attention when he comes on. Lol).

I follow both Spotify and YouTube listens/views regularly so I have a pretty good idea about how MJ is doing on both. I have all the recepits to back it up too. LOL.

MJ is actually the most listened classic (ie. non-current) act. More than the Beatles, Marley, Metallica etc. I wanted to post a full Top 50 or Top 100 at the end of the year but since Spotify is already posting this, let me just say for now:

MJ has been the #62 most streamed artist on Spotify this year - with only current artists ahead of him. MJ had 110 million streams on Spotify this year.

The closest classic act to him are Queen (so I don't quite understand how they made the Beatles win the "classic rock" category - unless they arbitrarily decided that Queen aren't classic rock). Queen are at #65 with 106 million streams.

(The Beatles streamed around 85 million this year. They are regularly at around #110-120.)

BTW, The Jackson 5 streamed an additional 33 million and the Jacksons another 7.7 million.

I am going to post a full Top 50-Top 100 later if anyone is interested. And yep, Drake is #1 on Spotify with 390 million streams. Rihanna 2nd with 343 million and Major Lazer is 3rd with 312 million.

On YouTube (which is the biggest streaming platform) MJ is at #26 with 1.99 billion streams (will be easily 2 billion by the end of the year). On YT it is Justin Bieber who is #1 (5.09 billion streams) with Rihanna #2 (3.91 billion) and Sia 3rd (2.89 billion). Interestingly Spotify's #1, Drake is only at #48 on YT (1.43 billion streams) - way below MJ, among others.

Other classic acts on YT that do well:

Metallica #47 (1.48 billion streams)
Bee Gees #71 (0.94 billion streams)
Queen #79 (0.82 billion streams).
The Beatles never showed up in the Top 100 on YouTube.

Last edited:
I follow both Spotify and YouTube listens/views regularly so I have a pretty good idea about how MJ is doing on both. I have all the recepits to back it up too. LOL.

MJ is actually the most listened classic (ie. non-current) act. More than the Beatles, Marley, Metallica etc. I wanted to post a full Top 50 or Top 100 at the end of the year but since Spotify is already posting this, let me just say for now:

MJ has been the #62 most streamed artist on Spotify this year - with only current artists ahead of him. MJ had 110 million streams on Spotify this year.

The closest classic act to him are Queen (so I don't quite understand how they made the Beatles win the "classic rock" category - unless they arbitrarily decided that Queen aren't classic rock). Queen are at #65 with 106 million streams.

(The Beatles streamed around 85 million this year. They are regularly at around #110-120.)

BTW, The Jackson 5 streamed an additional 33 million and the Jacksons another 7.7 million.

I am going to post a full Top 50-Top 100 later if anyone is interested. And yep, Drake is #1 on Spotify with 390 million streams. Rihanna 2nd with 343 million and Major Lazer is 3rd with 312 million.

On YouTube (which is the biggest streaming platform) MJ is at #26 with 1.99 billion streams (will be easily 2 billion by the end of the year). On YT it is Justin Bieber who is #1 (5.09 billion streams) with Rihanna #2 (3.91 billion) and Sia 3rd (2.89 billion). Interestingly Spotify's #1, Drake is only at #48 on YT (1.43 billion streams) - way below MJ, among others.

Other classic acts on YT that do well:

Metallica #47 (1.48 billion streams)
Bee Gees #71 (0.94 billion streams)
Queen #79 (0.82 billion streams).
The Beatles never showed up in the Top 100 on YouTube.

So for classic artists Michael is doing the best overall! :D
His music is truly standing the test of time. :yes:
And it's messed up how they snubbed queen because they are indeed classic rock.

Edit:I almost forgot!
Thanks Respect for the in depth list!:)

Last edited:
Thanks for finding this PDP-I read an article about Spotify's top artists today but it mainly talked about Drake being the most streamed artist ever. Skimmed the lists and couldn't find Michael's name. Thank you for going deeper.

(Can't believe Drake is that popular and I have yet to hear one of his songs. He has been on some award shows I've watched, but I guess I'm not paying attention when he comes on. Lol).

No prob, I LOVE posting things like this about Michael when I can find them.:D
I just think it's amazing how Michael is pretty much doing better then any other artist or band from his time or before, and on a music platform that blew up AFTER he died.

Respect came with them receipts!
People lie but numbers don't.
I like to imagine that some Trolling Stone columnist sees how much better Michael does on streaming platforms compared to some of the other artists they always put up on a pedestal, and gets pissed, LOL.

Last edited:
I am glad that Michael is still appealing to younger people, the ones who used social media the most. He is timeless !

That being said, Rihanna is a RnB artist ? What she has done is mostly Pop.
I will also say that Drake is Hip-Hop, not Pop.

genres

That being said, Rihanna is a RnB artist ? What she has done is mostly Pop.
I will also say that Drake is Hip-Hop, not Pop.
Pop isn't really a style of music, at least not in the US. It's just short for "popular music" on the Top 40 in Billboard, which depending on the decade can be anything. At one time Louis Armstrong, Glenn Miller, and Duke Ellington was pop music, because jazz was the most popular genre in the 1930s. In the 1950s, Harry Belafonte was pop music, but his genre was calypso. In the late 1970s disco was pop music and in the 1980s glam metal was pop music. Hip hop has been the most popular genre of the last 20 years in the US, so it is the pop music of today.

In the US, black singers are usually considered "R&B" by default, that's why they have to crossover to the pop Top 40. If black performers do some other genre, they're labeled things like "Black rock" and "Afropunk", rather than just "rock" & "punk rock". In the same way, a white act performing R&B is called "blue-eyed soul" because R&B is considered a black genre by default. In the 1970s, there were labels like "Latino soul" & "Latin jazz", & "Latin rock". Rock is considered "white music", even by many black people, which is ironic, considering the origins of rock n roll. Country is considered a white genre too, and few non-whites has had any major success in it, such as Charley Pride, Freddy Fender,
Johnny Rodriguez, plus Darius Rucker today. In the 1980s, the R&B chart was even titled "Hot Black Singles/Albums" in Billboard and in earlier decades was called "race music" and "Harlem Hit Parade". If you know about Harlem, it was considered a black neighborhood and there was a Harlem Renaissance, which was a lot of black poets, authors, & musicians.

Just thought about how Michael's full title is the King of Pop Rock and SOUL.
file.jpg

Pink Diamond Princess;4177514 said:
Just thought about how Michael's full title is the King of Pop Rock and SOUL.
file.jpg

YES, indeed it was, P.D.P. Unlike the media’s mistaken idea (and, sadly, what some amongst the public also continue to believe) that Michael called himself that title, the truth of the matter is that one of his closest friends — the actress Elizabeth Taylor — referred to him as “The King of Pop, Rock AND Soul.”

Even as far back as 1984, at the very height of Michael’sThriller” success, some newspaper headlines also referred to him as “The King of Pop.” So, why would people get the erroneous idea that he called himself such a title (and, in turn, forced the media to call him by that same title, in whatever news stories and reports written and/or broadcast about him — which is absolutely ridiculous), when the album, “Dangerous,” came out in the Early-1990’s? I think the media — early in the “Dangerous” era, when the album was first released — was making him out to have been the kind of a person who would make himself seem to have been more self-important than he actually was.

Right today, we probably might still see headlines and stories, from time to time, referring to Michael as, “the self-titled”- or “the self-proclaimed King of Pop.” What do you think, P.D.P.?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

GGVVGGCC22331122;4177732 said:
YES, indeed it was, P.D.P. Unlike the media’s mistaken idea (and, sadly, what some amongst the public also continue to believe) that Michael called himself that title, the truth of the matter is that one of his closest friends — the actress Elizabeth Taylor — referred to him as “The King of Pop, Rock AND Soul.”

Even as far back as 1984, at the very height of Michael’s “Thriller” success, some newspaper headlines also referred to him as “The King of Pop.” So, why would people get the erroneous idea that he called himself such a title (and, in turn, forced the media to call him by that same title, in whatever news stories and reports written and/or broadcast about him — which is absolutely ridiculous), when the album, “Dangerous,” came out in the Early-1990’s? I think the media — early in the “Dangerous” era, when the album was first released — was making him out to have been the kind of a person who would make himself seem to have been more self-important than he actually was.

Right today, we probably might still see headlines and stories, from time to time, referring to Michael as, “the self-titled”- or “the self-proclaimed King of Pop.” What do you think, P.D.P.?

Well, I personally have never come across many (if any) recent articles that say self proclaimed, and I think that for the most part the media has stopped that foolish 'self proclaimed' mess, but if I did see an article where Michael was called the self proclaimed King Of Pop I suppose I would be rather annoyed and maybe even a bit miffed.
The media made/makes up a lot of negative stuff about Michael most of which I just don't give a damn about.:rofl:

GGVVGGCC22331122;4177732 said:

PDP is right-you couldn't read about Michael from 93 to 2009 without it saying 'self proclaimed King of Pop', and then about a week or two after he died-poof-that disclaimer pretty much disappeared. You might see it once in a blue moon from some old vindictive type-but the main press always use the correct title.
Again, I think the outpouring of grief after his death "woke" them up.

His music will live forever. - That's so good about MJ's music. It really is timeless and it doesn't sound ageed.

Most of MJ's songs still sound so fresh they could have been released today.

Back