Irish artists cover You Are Not Alone for suicide awareness.

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
BYBRYNMOR PATTISON
08:59, 5 DEC 2016UPDATED08:59, 5 DEC 2016

Irish celebs have joined forces to let depressed and suicidal people know 'You Are Not Alone'.

The likes of Ryan O'Shaughnessy, Mary Byrne, the Dublin Gospel Choir and many more launched their version of Michael Jackson's global hit song today in an effort to raise awareness for Pieta House.

The release of the single is also aimed at raising funds for the charity.

Pieta House wants to highlight "the fact that help is available for people suffering from depression, particularly at this time of year which can be very difficult for a lot of people".

One in four people will experience a mental health problem each year and last year, sadly 451 people died by suicide in Ireland.

The organisation said 8,791 people presented a total of 11,189 times at hospital emergency departments across the country due to self-harm in 2015.

Man who tried to jump off bridge bravely speaks out a week on asking others to get help
Also featuring on the single are bands Taken and Heroes In Hiding. The hashtag #notalonepieta is being used on social media.

Ryan O'Shaughnessy said: "I got involved because I feel it’s important for Irish people to discuss mental health.

"It’s important to give what you can to help those who need it. That’s what this single is all about."

The track is available to download now across all major digital platforms including iTunes, Google Play, Amazon and Spotify.

Pieta House has helped almost 28,000 people rebuild their lives since 2006 and has treated approximately 5,000 people in each of the last three years.

More information is available at Pieta House's Facebook page.

CEO Brian Higgins said: "We are so honoured that Future Hope is donating the proceeds of this single to Pieta House.

"'You Are Not Alone' and 'Future Hope' are both sentiments that we at Pieta try to espouse to the people who come through our doors.

"We would encourage everyone to download or buy the single so that it can be a real contender for this year’s Christmas number one in Ireland and more importantly, in doing so, raise funds to support our services into the future."

Gavin Coll of Future Hope said: "If the 'You Are Not Alone' single can raise awareness of the services of Pieta House and in doing so, prevent one person from dying by suicide, then all our efforts will have been worthwhile.

"Many of those involved in the project have experienced first-hand the pain and suffering of losing a loved one and, unfortunately, the reality is that mental health issues are intensifying.

Officers save missing young person from suicide withe seconds to spare
"We all need to play our part in doing what we can to help each other. We are delighted to have released the single and would encourage everyone to download it."

Approximately 15% of Pieta House’s annual income comes from statutory grants, but 85% of its funding needs to be raised through events such as Darkness into Light, initiatives such as the You Are Not Alone charity single and donations and fundraisers by the members of the public.

With 18 centres across the country, Pieta House offers counselling to people experiencing suicidal ideation and people who engage in self-harm and, as of this year, it also offers suicide bereavement counselling and operates the free 24-hour 1800 247 247 suicide helpline.

Here's the cover of the song.
[video=youtube_share;1zcr4CUhQls]http://youtu.be/1zcr4CUhQls[/video]

No link to the article this time because I had to copy and paste this from the Irish Mirror, and I'm not going to be responsible for any branch of the Mirror getting clicks other then the one I had to give them to post about this here.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. It's for a great cause. Suicide is a crippling problem in Ireland right now. It's absolutely horrifying how often you hear of an incident in such a small country. No one should ever feel alone.

I LOVE this. Suicide is far more of an issue than many seem to be aware of, and this is a beautiful way to change some minds and open some eyes. Great cause, and a damn great cover on top of that.

Thanks for sharing!

That cover was beautiful, but the video kinda made me sad. Maybe because I've been there a couple times myself *shrugs*

Thanks for sharing this. Suicide is such an epidemic here and I knew quite a few people who've taken their own lives the past few years. Last month alone I believe there was 20 something here in Cork, the authorities have been playing it down for some strange reason.

Y'all are welcome.
I love to post things like this.
It's amazing how Michael's music continues to inspire and help others.
Despite the media tearing him down in every way possible, there are people that still know what Michael and his music truly stood for.
It seems that Michael's music touches the hearts of people in a way that ONLY Michael's music can.:)

Wow. Stunningly beautiful and a great video to match.
Perfect song to pick for suicide awareness and they did it beautifully.

This is the second time YANA has been covered for charity.

The X Factor finalists did it a few years ago, for 'Help the Heroes' I think.

I hope R Kelly is giving his royalties over.

Thanks for sharing. It's for a great cause. Suicide is a crippling problem in Ireland right now. It's absolutely horrifying how often you hear of an incident in such a small country. No one should ever feel alone.

Is there a known reason for this? :mellow:

Suffering from mental illness is a nightmare, being suicidal and completely alone / isolated is absolutely dangerous. Society still underestimates this.

Is there a known reason for this? :mellow:

Suffering from mental illness is a nightmare, being suicidal and completely alone / isolated is absolutely dangerous. Society still underestimates this.

I'm not sure if there's any one specific reason but thinking about it, some parts of Ireland are very remote and rural, there very cut off from society and in recent years the government have been closing police stations and post offices; post offices are where a lot of people meet and chat as there's usually a little shop as well as the post office to collect pensions and pay bills and send mail so it's a place where people meet and just talk. At this time of year it can be extremely lonely and there's only a very limited amount of daylight. The economy isn't great and so many people are struggling financially, especially at Christmas time to provide their families with presents, looking at the tv and social media the world promotes this idea that if you don't look a certain way or live a certain type of affluent lifestyle your not really relevant to modern day culture, which I believe is having a massive effect on people all around the world. Lots of people have left Ireland in recent years for work and to make a better life abroad. Depression and alcoholism are both massive in Ireland and there's not a single one of us that isn't related to an alcoholic and been effected, so I believe it's a mixture of lots of these things, we also have this culture of not talking about our problems and suffer in silence, we're quite a repressed nation going way back into our history.

That was so wonderful to listen to. They were all such great singers and did their respective parts so well, with lots of feeling. Thank you for posting this. :) Well done video overall!

I'm not sure if there's any one specific reason but thinking about it, some parts of Ireland are very remote and rural, there very cut off from society and in recent years the government have been closing police stations and post offices; post offices are where a lot of people meet and chat as there's usually a little shop as well as the post office to collect pensions and pay bills and send mail so it's a place where people meet and just talk. At this time of year it can be extremely lonely and there's only a very limited amount of daylight. The economy isn't great and so many people are struggling financially, especially at Christmas time to provide their families with presents, looking at the tv and social media the world promotes this idea that if you don't look a certain way or live a certain type of affluent lifestyle your not really relevant to modern day culture, which I believe is having a massive effect on people all around the world. Lots of people have left Ireland in recent years for work and to make a better life abroad. Depression and alcoholism are both massive in Ireland and there's not a single one of us that isn't related to an alcoholic and been effected, so I believe it's a mixture of lots of these things, we also have this culture of not talking about our problems and suffer in silence, we're quite a repressed nation going way back into our history.

Very well said. Unfortunately everyone in the country is affected by both somehow. It used to be one or the other. Now suicide is as common as car crashes.

What's truly horrifying for me is that it seems the majority are my/aazzaabb's generation. So many week in week out. Its a plague, and theres no quick fix. My heart goes out to anyone even slightly and remotely feeling like they cant cope, but for someone to think that the best option for them is to take their life is something thats beyond heartbreaking. For sucha small country, its a huge problem. Thankfully the attitude towards depression and suicide has drastically changed in the last 20 years, but people still have trouble talking.

I remember growing up loving the sound of a helicopter in the sky. Now its the last sound you want to hear day or night.

Back