Michael's year end Billboard chart stats.

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
Pop

Catalog Artists
#5: Michael Jackson

Catalog Albums
#17:Off The Wall
#18:Bad
#29:Thriller
#38:The Essential Michael Jackson

Top Billboard 200 Artists
#40:Michael Jackson

Top Billboard 200 albums
#178:Thriller

Looks like the King's reign just won't end.:clap:
This right here is what longevity looks like y'all.:D

These are all of Michael's year end Billboard stats.
If I didn't include a stat I either missed it by accident or he didn't make that list.
Here's a link to the complete chart list.
http://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end

Last edited:
Impressive.

Catalog artists

1. Prince
2. Metallica
3. Adele
4. Pentatonix
5. Michael Jackson
6. Eagles
7. David Bowie
8. Twenty One Pilots
9. The Beatles
10. Michael Buble

And four albums among the Top 50 catalog albums!

Impressive.

Catalog artists

1. Prince
2. Metallica
3. Adele
4. Pentatonix
5. Michael Jackson
6. Eagles
7. David Bowie
8. Twenty One Pilots
9. The Beatles
10. Michael Buble

And four albums among the Top 50 catalog albums!
IKR!
I always say Michael's music sounds like it could have been released yesterday, and apparently a lot of other people think so too.:)

Another thing about Michael is that AFAIK he STAYS on the charts.
What other artist from his time or before does that.
No really.
Does anyone else?
I don't regularly do chart reports, I only do year end reports like this.
I honestly doubt any other artist from Michael's time or before consistently charts as good as Michael though, LOL.

Last edited:
I thought Off The Wall would also be in top 200 albums list. But great to see Thriller still do so well. I suspect with the planned 35th anniversary special for Thriller next year, it would be even higher in next year's list.

I thought Off The Wall would also be in top 200 albums list.

That is strange because both OTW and Bad sold more than Thriller this year, so I have no idea why OTW and Bad aren't there. But Billboard sometimes has some strange results due to strange rules they use.

I know the year technically isn't over yet, but I wonder how much Michael has sold collectively.

I don't think that information is readily available. Going by estimations of the regular charters, courtesy of oldbloke:

Off The Wall: 138,000
Bad: 116,000
Thriller: 106,000
The Essential: 95,000
Number Ones: 84,000

= 539,000.

US only.

What makes somebody a catalog artist or a catalog album? I thought death or retirement.
But I see Adele and Penatonix there.

What makes somebody a catalog artist or a catalog album? I thought death or retirement.
But I see Adele and Penatonix there.

Billboard defines a catalog title as one that is more than 18 months old and that has fallen below position 100 on the Billboard 200. Effectively, the Billboard Current Albums is equivalent to the Billboard 200, with the catalog titles removed.

Top Pop Catalog Albums also contains reissues of older albums. An album need not have spent any weeks on the Billboard 200 to be eligible for the Top Pop Catalog Albums chart (this occasionally occurs if an act has a breakthrough release which prompts a significant increase in sales of prior albums that were not big sellers upon their initial release).

The only exception to the "18 months old" rule pertains to holiday releases (for example, Christmas albums). A "holiday" release is eligible for the Billboard 200 only during its initial year of release. After its first year, a holiday-related album appears on Top Pop Catalog Albums. Many consistent sellers make return trips to the Top Pop Catalog Albums chart each November through January.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Pop_Catalog_Albums

Current artists also have catalog albums - ie. albums that are older than 18 months and if those charts then current artists also show up in the catalog artists chart. When there is a new release by a current artist typically it also gives a boost to the back catalog of that artist. So in Adele or Metallica's case, for example, they had a new release which made their older albums chart too - hence their catalog artist position.

That is strange because both OTW and Bad sold more than Thriller this year, so I have no idea why OTW and Bad aren't there. But Billboard sometimes has some strange results due to strange rules they use.

Yes, this is why I was surprised that Off The Wall wasn't on the list as it his best selling album in US this year. Surprised to see Bad also outsell Thriller. Billboard have some bogus rules that don't make much sense.

Surprised to see Bad also outsell Thriller.

Bad has been MJ's best selling studio album in the past 2-3 years already so it isn't really surprising. In 2015, for example, Bad sold 143,000 copies, Thriller 132,000 by year end.

I think it would be high time to certify Bad as Diamond (10 million copies).

Bad has been MJ's best selling studio album in the past 2-3 years already so it isn't really surprising. In 2015, for example, Bad sold 143,000 copies, Thriller 132,000 by year end.

I think it would be high time to certify Bad as Diamond (10 million copies).

Agreed, but AFAIK certs have to be payed for, which may be why it hasn't happened yet. :/
I would really like to see that happen though. :)

Back