Mj teenage voice

Rock with u

Proud Member
Mj have got a different voice than he was a kid or adult when he was a teenager , voice like in the song call on me. it is different , than his child voice and his adult voice ,so what do you think ? of that voice? I love ?? it
But actually some of my friends think that this annoying voice?
Glad to hear ? what you think.
And another question not related.
I read here on the forum on a thread about the underrated songs that , the song we are here to change the world is , considered sonically dated I wanna know why?

I love his voice on songs like One Day In Your Life. His teenage voice was vey good but for me, Michael's best voice was during the Dangerous Era. That was Michael at his absolute peak as a vocalist.

I like hearing his teenage voice probably because it is the least heard... and you hear a real transition from young to old.. lower registers sound like adult MJ and when he belts he sounds younger...

I like hearing his teenage voice probably because it is the least heard... and you hear a real transition from young to old.. lower registers sound like adult MJ and when he belts he sounds younger...

Couldn't have put it better myself. It's so lovely to hear.

And although he wasn't really a teenager, when he sang the "Little Drummer Boy" on the J5 Christmas album, you can hear how he's going to sound as an adult in certain parts.

I love it myself. Especially on Just A Little Bit Of You.

Last edited:
The best song for his teenage voice is definitely Dancing Machine, he has bits of adult (Come on baby - Mooovee it baby) voice in amongst the Kiddie Michael. I think One day in your life, he is almost adult, along with songs off Dancing Machine and Moving Violation like "Forever came today". Whereas Skywriter backwards is truly child Michael, even Ben and Doctor my eyes when he was 14 sound like kiddie Michael, but The Jacksons album like Enjoy Yourself and show you the way to go are pure adult Michael.

So really his teenage voice is only 1974/75.

I love his voice on songs like One Day In Your Life. His teenage voice was vey good but for me, Michael's best voice was during the Dangerous Era. That was Michael at his absolute peak as a vocalist.

I agree Bad to History is the peak. He really hits that deep voice in songs like Man in the Mirror, Smooth Criminal and then it even lasts through to Invincible with songs like Break of Dawn and Don't walk away.

I absolutely love songs from this era. Some of my favorites are "Its Too Late To Change The Time" "We're Almost There" and "One Day In Your Life". I feel like the teenage voiced Michael is actually who I really felt more emotionally connected to when I listened to Jacksons music as a kid. I suppose that is still true in a way now. I guess it's because he was still singing those emotionally heavy soul songs but, he was not getting old enough to understand truly, the lyrical content of what he was singing,

I agree, it may have been a Motown cash in the UK in 1981, but One Day in Your Life is just sublime, there is no other word for it.

Rock with u;4179758 said:
I read here on the forum on a thread about the underrated songs that , the song we are here to change the world is , considered sonically dated I wanna know why?

‘We Are Here To Change The World’ sounds very outmoded with an overly generic sound (very similar to the sound of the ‘80s videos games).

Also, ‘We Are Here To Change The World’ cannot be considered an underrated/overlooked song. As a matter of fact, it is one of MJ’s weakest tracks ever & personally I wish he had never released it.

But, despite its very low quality, eventually it served its purpose because it fit really well with the general kids-oriented theme of Captain EO but also with the sound that the kids at that time were very familiar with.

Notice also how they changed the sound of ‘Another Part Of Me’ so as to give it a fast-paced feeling in order to fit better with the film’s overall theme (the version they used sounds extremely dated, as well).

Michael was 15 years old when he sang With A Child's Heart on Soul Train and he absolutely killed it. IMO. :)
I love that song so much and the way he delivers it.

Last edited:

Regarding sonically dated...
If you are someone that listens to the radio every day, where everything goes with todays sonic standards, much of Michaels music will sound dated, simply because it's decades old by now. Certain times come with certain sounds and ways to produce music. And if people's sonic horizon is limited to one era, anything from beyond will sound "dated" in a negative way.

Since i'm also a fan of 1980s Electrofunk/Breakdance music, I always loved 'We Are Here To Change The World' because the beat is one of the few in Michaels catalogue that are very near the Electrofunk style of the 80s.

Outside of Captain EO, the released full version of the song seems a bit short / unfinished in terms of song arrangement, but that's probably because it was always just meant to be partly played in the movie, and not to be a stand-alone song.

And back on topic...
yep, Dancing Machine is probably Michael's best teenage voice performance.

mj_frenzy;4180065 said:
‘We Are Here To Change The World’ sounds very outmoded with an overly generic sound (very similar to the sound of the ‘80s videos games).

That could maybe be said about the Intro, not the full song.

mj_frenzy;4180065 said:
Also, ‘We Are Here To Change The World’ cannot be considered an underrated/overlooked song. As a matter of fact, it is one of MJ’s weakest tracks ever & personally I wish he had never released it.

Opinion, not fact.

mj_frenzy;4180065 said:
Notice also how they changed the sound of ‘Another Part Of Me’ so as to give it a fast-paced feeling in order to fit better with the film’s overall theme (the version they used sounds extremely dated, as well).

A slight difference in the mixdown and pace can't make a song sound more or less dated, it's the production that does.

It might be down to the poor quality leak that is available of Captain EO, but the version of APOM in there was pretty obviously an early rough mixdown. The volume of the synth-bassline is all over the place.

Take that, WAHTCTW-hater! :D

Last edited:
Reading some of the above comments, I never understand why some people use a song sounding 'dated' as a criticism. I mean what's wrong if the song sounds dated? Why is that used as a criticism? Music is constantly changing all the time so I don't think we should expect a song that was released in the 80s to sound like music of 2017. It really frustrates the hell out of me whenever people use a song or an album sounding 'dated' for criticism.

He had an awesome voice during his childhood, but his voice was the best during adulthood

Back