Michael Jackson was robbed.

FortéFord

Proud Member
Ugh... This topic irritates me, but I wanna know what the MJ community thinks about this. When I say MJ was robbed I don't mean the normal type of robbery, but instead he was robbed of his career and legacy. My sister and I were discussing this the other day, and it makes me so sad because his career could've been much bigger and legendary than it is now IF the child molestation accusations were never a thing. Do I believe he is innocent? OF COURSE! but it's hard to ignore the side effects of a simple lie. Just to put into perspective what would've been different in his life if it didn't happen:

• His legacy and career would be untainted IMO The Beatles and Elvis get way more respect than MJ and it's likely because of this. As I feel MJ has had an impact nearly as great.

• he would've released more albums
Not sure how many more, but this is something I'm sure every fan can agree on.

• He would have far less haters ( people did make fun of him because of his looks, but the accusations is the MAIN reason people hate him.

• He could've potentially become the highest selling artist of all time. I know it sounds rediculous, but hear me out. The majority of sources claim MJ had about 750m album sales total, right? The child molestation charges had a HUGE impact on his sales and from 1995 - 2017 he would've released a lot more albums. HIStory sold about 20m if I remember correctly, but I can only imagine how much it would've sold if it weren't for the charges. (Same with BOTDF and Invincible.)

• He potentially could've had the most No. 1 singles of all time. Songs like TDCAU, Earth Song, Scream, and YRMW all had potential to be No.1 singles IMO. Not to mention the singles he would've later released throughout the 2000's.

And of course...

• HE WOULD STILL BE ALIVE :(
Ugh. This one makes me unbelievably sad. While he was taking painkillers because of the Pepsi accident in 1984, the drugs use went out of control when he got hit with those accusations. From then on the drug use was far worse than it was before which is ultimately what lead to his death. Imagine for ONE second being the most popular and loved person on the planet to being known as the world most famous pedophile. Not the mention the countless MJ paedophile jokes you see in the media and on TV TIL THIS DAY (I actually saw one a few weeks ago). He was strong as hell to not have committed suicide, because to be honest I probably would've. That's a pretty shitty transition over a ****ing lie with 0 EVIDENCE.

His impact and legacy would've been far greater than it is today... I know this post is sad but it has been on my mind for awhile, so I just wanted to share it with you guys. Thoughts?

Things would be a lot different now if those allegations never happened. The HIStory album would have been completly different, because a lot songs from that album was Michael's reaction to the 93 allegations. The HIStory album probably wouldn't have exisited if it wasn't for the allegations.

BTW, Earth Song was Michael's biggest selling single in the UK

I believe MJ would never have achieved the respect that is dished out to the white rock guys, regardless.

Although I wouldn't wish what occurred in 1993 on anyone, we wouldn't have got HIStory had it not been for what happened. I'm not suggesting it's a fair trade but perhaps everything in life happens for a reason...

When you think about Michael's family history, the fact that he died at 50 shows that he died a very premature death. That rat Conrad Murray took away at least 30 years of his live. And the allegations and all the health issues played a big part in his premature death. But then you have to remember that the amount of success that Michael had, it comes with a price. Most of these big superstars unfortunately die a young death because all the success they have end up and then all the subsequent abuse they take at the hands of the media end up taking a massive toll on them. I hate to say it but Michael dying young was for me wasn't surprising.

But if the 1993 allegations had never happened, Michael indeed would have released more albums. I don't think an album like HIStory would have existed as Michael would have never felt the need to do such a dark and personal album. I reckon if the 2003 allegations didn't happen, Michael would have released a new album in 2005. Let's not forget that Michael had fantastic songs such as Xscape that he saved for his next album which unfortunately he never got to release. And This Is It would have never happened as Michael wouldn't be making a comeback so I reckon he would still be alive today. The pressure of the comeback and negligence of an idiot doctor took away his life. Damn Arvizos. I hope they rot in hell.

As for his reputation, no doubt that Michael would be viewed much more positively. No doubt, his reputation has improved after his death. But like you said there are still of lot of mean jokes about Michael out there in the media and the public. The allegations destroyed his image completely. I personally believe that Michael is miles ahead of Elvis and The Beatles in terms of talent and ability but because of the false allegations, he never gets as much credit as Elvis and The Beatles for changing the music industry. Michael had far greater impact on shaping the music industry that it is today than the aforementioned two artists but unfortunately he will never get the same amount of credit.

FortéFord;4180551 said:
Ugh... This topic irritates me, but I wanna know what the MJ community thinks about this. When I say MJ was robbed I don't mean the normal type of robbery, but instead he was robbed of his career and legacy. My sister and I were discussing this the other day, and it makes me so sad because his career could've been much bigger and legendary than it is now IF the child molestation accusations were never a thing. Do I believe he is innocent? OF COURSE! but it's hard to ignore the side effects of a simple lie. Just to put into perspective what would've been different in his life if it didn't happen:

• His legacy and career would be untainted IMO The Beatles and Elvis get way more respect than MJ and it's likely because of this. As I feel MJ has had an impact nearly as great.

• he would've released more albums
Not sure how many more, but this is something I'm sure every fan can agree on.

• He would have far less haters ( people did make fun of him because of his looks, but the accusations is the MAIN reason people hate him.

• He could've potentially become the highest selling artist of all time. I know it sounds rediculous, but hear me out. The majority of sources claim MJ had about 750m album sales total, right? The child molestation charges had a HUGE impact on his sales and from 1995 - 2017 he would've released a lot more albums. HIStory sold about 20m if I remember correctly, but I can only imagine how much it would've sold if it weren't for the charges. (Same with BOTDF and Invincible.)

• He potentially could've had the most No. 1 singles of all time. Songs like TDCAU, Earth Song, Scream, and YRMW all had potential to be No.1 singles IMO. Not to mention the singles he would've later released throughout the 2000's.

And of course...

• HE WOULD STILL BE ALIVE :(
Ugh. This one makes me unbelievably sad. While he was taking painkillers because of the Pepsi accident in 1984, the drugs use went out of control when he got hit with those accusations. From then on the drug use was far worse than it was before which is ultimately what lead to his death. Imagine for ONE second being the most popular and loved person on the planet to being known as the world most famous pedophile. Not the mention the countless MJ paedophile jokes you see in the media and on TV TIL THIS DAY (I actually saw one a few weeks ago). He was strong as hell to not have committed suicide, because to be honest I probably would've. That's a pretty shitty transition over a ****ing lie with 0 EVIDENCE.

His impact and legacy would've been far greater than it is today... I know this post is sad but it has been on my mind for awhile, so I just wanted to share it with you guys. Thoughts?

ChrisC;4180560 said:
I believe MJ would never have achieved the respect that is dished out to the white rock guys, regardless.

No lies told.
Although IMO Michael's legacy is still untouchable when it comes to solo artist, and I'm not sure he would have released more albums, he of course hands down would have been better off without the allegations.

Sadly though, even after the allegations hit things such as race and gender came into play and made things worse with how MJ was and still is treated by the media as opposed to the other acts you mentioned.
For example, Elvis truly was romantically interested in a child yet you hear little to nothing about that from the media while It was only alleged that Michael did something yet he was raked across the coals.
I personally also don't see Michael having been judged as harshly and looked at as suspiciously if he were a woman, and had the same love of children that he had.

Last edited:
The allegations negatively effected his career hugely.. I am one to believe if the allegations never happened there would be a very good chance he'd still be here today

I personally also don't see Michael having been judged as harshly and looked at as suspiciously if he were a woman, and had the same love of children that he had.

You hit the nail right on the head there. I believe that if Michael had been a woman, he would have never have been accused.

It's so unfair, Michael didn't deserve this, not one bit. He had such amazing strength to carry on. :boohoo

Things would be a lot different now if those allegations never happened. The HIStory album would have been completly different, because a lot songs from that album was Michael's reaction to the 93 allegations. The HIStory album probably wouldn't have exisited if it wasn't for the allegations.

BTW, Earth Song was Michael's biggest selling single in the UK

Oh okay. Good to know ?

I've always said that if the media hadn't kept on harassing Michael with all these BS lies about him, he would still be alive right now and I still blame them that he's no longer around anymore. The Sneddons, the Demons (Diane Dimond), the DISGraces (Nancy Grace), the Chandlers, the Arvizos and all those damned stupid haters are also responsible that he's gone and I even blamed them on it too. Like they wanted more than putting his good name in the dirt and wanted him in prison for something he hasn't done which we all know he didn't deserve, they also wanted him dead. Well I don't wanna say it, but it has to be said, well I wish the same among them.

The allegations negatively effected his career hugely.. I am one to believe if the allegations never happened there would be a very good chance he'd still be here today

Yeah. Doctors said he was very healthy for his age. And he didn't do drugs ( Heroin , Weed, meth, etc

To some degree, I agree with what you're saying. Michael would definitely have more respect if it weren't for the allegations. Whenever I hear criticism about Michael, most of it is related to his behavior with children and/or the alleged activities that went on.

Although I wouldn't wish what occurred in 1993 on anyone, we wouldn't have got HIStory had it not been for what happened. I'm not suggesting it's a fair trade but perhaps everything in life happens for a reason...

I know you're not suggesting it's a fair trade at all, and it was the album that got me onto MJ... but I'd happily trade HIStory in a nano-second to not have any sort of allegations against him.

I doubt there would of been that many more album releases. He took large gaps between releases before the allegations. After all, in the 80's he only released two albums.

HIStory selling more than it did would of depended on many factors. If it had still been a double disk album then sales wouldn't of been dramatically higher. However, they'd of been higher in the US no doubt.

Blood On The Dance Floor wouldn't of sold much more, either. Remix albums don't sell large amounts. Blood On The Dance Floor did well for what it was.

Invincible's sales were great, until promotion stopped. The allegations weren't the major reason behind it not selling like prior albums.

P.S. The claims of 750 million sales are total nonsense. The Estate claimed last year sales now stood at over a billion, also nonsense. Record companies/management companies have inflated sales for decades for numerous artists. MJ's actual sales are more in the region of approaching or at 400 million. Still phenomenal, of course.

Last edited:
No lies told.
Although IMO Michael's legacy is still untouchable when it comes to solo artist, and I'm not sure he would have released more albums, he of course hands down would have been better off without the allegations.

Sadly though, even after the allegations hit things such as race and gender came into play and made things worse with how MJ was and still is treated by the media as opposed to the other acts you mentioned.
For example, Elvis truly was romantically interested in a child yet you hear little to nothing about that from the media while It was only alleged that Michael did something yet he was raked across the coals.

The comparison of Elvis' supposed interest in young girls isn't comparable to MJ in any way. Elvis was never officially accused by a girl. Add to that you are comparing totally different time periods. Decades ago, if a man dated an underage girl it wasn't deemed anywhere near as bad as it is today or even in the 90's. Jimmy Page was flaunting the young Lori Maddox in the 70's and Iggy Pop even wrote a song with lyrics about a girl. Many rock stars had relationships with underage girls, unfortunately.

Thankfully times have changed.

Last edited:
The comparison of Elvis' supposed interest in young girls isn't comparable to MJ in any way. Elvis was never officially accused by a girl. Add to that you are comparing totally different time periods. Decades ago, if a man dated an underage girl it wasn't deemed anywhere near as bad as it is today or even in the 90's. Jimmy Page was flaunting the young Lori Maddox in the 70's and Iggy Pop even wrote a song about the same girl. Many rock stars had relationships with underage girls, unfortunately.

Thankfully times have changed.

Whether you like it or not yes they can be compared.

Official accusation or not he was still romantically interested in a child, and as both you and I know it doesn't take anything official to be persecuted by the media.

I really couldn't care less about time period differences, being romantically interested in a child isn't okay, but Elvis was and to this day it's swept under the rug.
If some negative story pops up about Michael no matter from how long ago it was the media still has a field day with it.

Just because one person or some people did something does not make it okay for another to do so.
I've also never liked that 'oh that's just the way things were type of logic.'
Just imagine if historical figures that changed things for the better would have instead said oh that's just the way things are.
Many things that were absolutely abhorrent weren't 'deemed bad' in the past. but now we look back on those things in disgust.

However, yes, I am thankful that times have changed.

Edit: Also while I of course don't believe the billion sales claim (I wasn't even aware that the estate said that) what makes you think that the 750 millions sales are not true?
Do you have a credible source that can disprove the 750 million WW sales claim?

Last edited:

Official accusation or not he was still romantically interested in a child, and as both you and I know it doesn't take anything official to be persecuted by the media.

I really couldn't care less about time period differences, being romantically interested in a child isn't okay, but Elvis was and to this day it's swept under the rug.
If some negative story pops up about Michael no matter from how long ago it was the media still has a field day with it.

Just because one person or some people did something does not make it okay for another to do so.
Just imagine if historical figures that changed things for the better would have instead said oh that's just the way things are.
Many things that were absolutely abhorrent weren't 'deemed bad' in the past. but now we look back on those things in disgust.

Keep making the comparison if you wish. However, times can't be compared and that is fact. Comparing the view of society decades prior is silly and illogical.

Do you also deem homophobia in the 1950s and 60's to be the same as in 2016? Those eras can't be compared either. For example, Tom Jones said when he found out his manager was gay it 'threw him off' and he didn't think it was 'normal'. That can't be compared to somebody in 2016 repeating those same thoughts.

Romantically interested in a child? Based on what? Rumours? As that's all there ever was. Priscilla offered herself to Elvis, but he told her she was too young. Whether they had sex before she was of age, we don't know.

Elvis' supposed interest in girls has been reported, but it's not made out to be as big a deal as MJ as 1. he was never officially accused and 2. irrelevant of what you say, society's view was different.

Jimmy Page had a sexual relationship with the underage Lori Maddox in the 70's. If a singer of today had a relationship with a young girl of Lori's age, the media's reaction of those two instances just can't be compared. Whilst it was sick, and wrong, society's view was hugely different back then.

'Just because one person or some people did something does not make it okay for another to do so.'

I never said this. I gave Jimmy Page and Iggy Pop as examples of that time period. I never condoned it. I was saying many rockers did it and society's view of the situation was hugely different back then.

Keep making the comparison if you wish. However, times can't be compared and that is fact. Comparing the view of society decades prior is silly and illogical.

Do you also deem homophobia in the 1950s and 60's to be the same as in 2016? Those eras can't be compared either. For example, Tom Jones said when he found out his manager was gay it 'threw him off' and he didn't think it was 'normal'. That can't be compared to somebody in 2016 repeating those same thoughts.

Romantically interested in a child? Based on what? Rumours? As that's all there ever was. Priscilla offered herself to Elvis, but he told her she was too young. Whether they had sex before she was of age, we don't know.

Elvis' supposed interest in girls has been reported, but it's not made out to be as big a deal as MJ as 1. he was never officially accused and 2. irrelevant of what you say, society's view was different.

Jimmy Page had a sexual relationship with the underage Lori Maddox in the 70's. If a singer of today had a relationship with a young girl of Lori's age, the media's reaction of those two instances just can't be compared. Whilst it was sick, and wrong, society's view was hugely different back then.

'Just because one person or some people did something does not make it okay for another to do so.'

I never said this. I gave Jimmy Page and Iggy Pop as examples of that time period. I never condoned it. I was saying many rockers did it and society's view of the situation was hugely different back then.

As I've already told you.
A comparison can be drawn, not between the times but between the situations.
Your own personal opinion that a comparison cannot be drawn does not change that.

No matter how old a story about Michael is, if it's negative the media eats it up, but even now you hear nothing about Elvis being interested in a child.
The media also didn't know whether or not Michael was truly guilty either, but that didn't stop them from what they did now did it?
As I said before media persecution does not require anything official to be carried out.

Had Michael been white and/or a woman even after the allegations hit things would not have been as bad as they were and to a certain extent still are.

At this point though I can see that you're in denial about some things, so this conversation is over.
Believe what you will, and deny the obvious.:)

Last edited:

Edit: Also while I of course don't believe the billion sales claim (I wasn't even aware that the estate said that) what makes you think that the 750 millions sales are not true?

That sales claim was in response to the OP. A credible source to disprove 750 million sales, and now over one billion, is simply common sense. There is no credible source supporting 750 million sales nor over a billion. MJ released six adult studio albums. Sales of 750 million and now one billion from six albums plus singles is impossible nor realistic.

he was definitely robbed, but something fare worse that started years before these allegations hit....he was robbed big time which led him to utter that plea throught tthat ole indian proverb when he kicked off his first ever solo tour in 1987 when he said "don't judge a man until you walk 2 moons in his moccasisn, have mercy on me, for I've been bleeding a long time now"

That sales claim was in response to the OP. A credible source to disprove 750 million sales, and now over one billion, is simply common sense. There is no credible source supporting 750 million sales nor over a billion. MJ released six adult studio albums. Sales of 750 million and now one billion from six albums plus singles is impossible nor realistic.

Hm, I'll check with respect77 too (about the 750million) as out of everyone on this website they seem to keep a good track of sales and what not.

and that pepsi incident did not start his use of painkillers, that's a myth........when that accident happened when it actually did, it was known and reported and annnounced by his own primary doctor that as Michael was undergoing that skin graft operation that he was not going to rely on any time of painkilling substance to help him recover, he was able to attend the Grammy Awards after all that, by the time he did the Victory Tour, that accident became an afterthought

Last edited:
Hm, I'll check with respect77 too (about the 750million) as out of everyone on this website they seem to keep a good track of sales and what not.

A better source than anybody on this website is MJDangerous or Pierpinto (http://chartbusters.forumfree.it/?t=60966251). No offence to respect.

All those who extensively research chart sales will tell you 750 million is laughable. One billion even more so. Try to account for 750 million, let alone a billion. It's impossible to do so.

I've personally spent time researching MJ's sales (although not to the extent of the aforementioned) and he is no where near 750 million (first claimed in 2006). Record companies/management companies inflate sales.

For example:

The Beatles - 1 Billion. Not true.
Elvis Presley - 1 Billion. Not true. Laughably this figure was first claimed in 1982.
ABBA - 450 million. Not true.
Madonna - 300 million albums. Not true.
George Michael - 100 million albums. Not true.

Last edited:

Well it shouldn't really be "can you disprove this figure" but more so "can you prove this figure" in the first place.

The figure of 750 million was introduced by Michael's (shady) manager/publicist in 2006, Raymone Bain... but there isn't much certified evidence to back it up. For many years it was often claimed to be between 300-400 million, but suddenly after the trial it had jumped to that 750 million figure. You can read about it here http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124760651612341407 (if you get hit by a paywall, click here).

So far if you look at solely certified units (see here), Michael Jackson has sold around 181.2 million units. In front of him is Elvis is at 211.3 million, and then The Beatles at 270 million. Given the age of all three mentioned artists, I imagine they have likely sold more than those units. Additionally, these figures can be thrown off as record labels don't always request certification, however in saying all of this they are a good, more realistic figure to begin from.

Last edited:
Well it shouldn't really be "can you disprove this figure" but more so "can you prove this figure" in the first place.

The figure of 750 million was introduced by Michael's (shady) manager/publicist in 2006, Raymone Bain... but there isn't much certified evidence to back it up. For many years it was often claimed to be between 300-400 million, but suddenly after the trial it had jumped to that 750 million figure. You can read about it here http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124760651612341407 (if you get hit by a paywall, click here).

So far if you look at solely certified units (see here), Michael Jackson has sold around 181.2 million units. In front of him is Elvis is at 211.3 million, and then The Beatles at 270 million. Given the age of all three mentioned artists, I imagine they have likely sold more than those units. Additionally, at least in the US?, these figures can be thrown off as record labels don't always request certification, however in saying all of this they are a good, more realistic figure to begin from.

Take Wikipedia's figures with a pinch of salt. They still have Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell down as having sold 44 million copies. That claim was made by Jim Steinman, who wrote all the tracks on the album, and unsurprisingly inflated its sales, thus Wikipedia take it as fact.

Certifications can be outdated worldwide. Some of MJ's date back to the 80's.

Had Michael been white and/or a woman even after the allegations hit things would not have been as bad as they were and to a certain extent still are.

The woman point is actually quite a good one. I see Facebook posts about males who rape minors and everyone is demanding their head on a pike. Flip the genders though, have the female rape the minors and you're faaaar more likely to see disgusting comments such as "Lucky guy!!! I can't see why he's complaining" "Wish I was him!" "She's hot! He should consider himself lucky ;)" etc, which is incredibly disgusting and contributes to the stigma that discourages so many male sexual abuse victims in coming out.

I mean, this is a whole 'nother topic and generally men do often get the better end of the stick when it comes to life, but it is something I've noticed.

Take Wikipedia's figures with a pinch of salt. They still have Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell down as having sold 44 million copies. That claim was made by Jim Steinman, who wrote all the tracks on the album, and unsurprisingly inflated its sales, thus Wikipedia take it as fact.

Certifications can be outdated worldwide. Some of MJ's date back to the 80's.

Oh I agree and I am aware, but it is a much more realistic figure to use as a base rather than "750 million".

Mended my post to remove the "US? only" thing with the certifications too, thanks :)

Last edited:
Oh I agree and I am aware, but it is a much more realistic figure to use as a base rather than "750 million".

Mended my post to remove the "US? only" thing with the certifications :)

Oh, yes, certainly. Wikipedia are good in one respect in terms of listing confirmed certifications for albums (albeit select nations). 750 million is simply impossible. Then came the Estate's over a billion claim. Meaning we're to believe MJ sold 350 million plus records since 2006. :lol:

In my opinion, MJ is either approaching or at around 400 million.

Oh, yes, certainly. Wikipedia are good in one respect in terms of listing confirmed certifications for albums (albeit select nations). 750 million is simply impossible. Then came the Estate's over a billion claim. Meaning we're to believe MJ sold 350 million plus records since 2006. :lol:

In my opinion, MJ is either approaching or at around 400 million.

I think that when it comes to artists/labels releasing new figures, if other sources can help back up the claim, then it is possible that it is true. But as has been suggested, one has to always be cautious since many labels/artists managers have pushed their luck and claimed absurd figures/achievements. The good thing about certifications on Wikipedia is that generally the editors have linked back to the certification website where you can prove it for yourself.

I imagine MJ to probably be somewhere in the 300-400 million mark, when you consider both albums and singles. What do you consider Thriller's album sales to be? I personally reckon it's in the mid-late 60s.

I think that when it comes to artists/labels releasing new figures, if other sources can help back up the claim, then it is possible that it is true. But as has been suggested, one has to always be cautious since many labels/artists managers have pushed their luck and claimed absurd figures/achievements. The good thing about certifications on Wikipedia is that generally the editors have linked back to the certification website where you can prove it for yourself.

I imagine MJ to probably be somewhere in the 300-400 million mark, when you consider both albums and singles. What do you consider Thriller's album sales to be?

Yeah, it's a shame they inflate figures. In the case of Elvis and The Beatles the claims of a billion records sold are probably based on archaic counting methods from decades ago. For example Elvis' figures become inflated from the method of singles equivalent. Whereby if one album has six singles, the two figures are multiplied. So when one album is sold, with six singles on, it's 1 x 6. So if one million copies are sold it becomes six million.

It sounds ridiculous now, but it made some sense, in a way, years back as singles were the main format of consumption. It was a way to try and show how impressive it was to sell albums.

I personally go with Thriller being at 67 million. Before MJ's death, MJJSource stated sales to be at 59 million which seems very realistic. This was from March 2005. Since then Thriller 25 released and I also read four million copies of Thriller were sold in 2009.

I'd definitely say 65 million at the minimum. Between 67-70 million at the maximum.

Yeah, it's a shame they inflate figures. In the case of Elvis and The Beatles the claims of a billion records sold are probably based on archaic counting methods from decades ago. For example Elvis' figures become inflated from the method of singles equivalent. Whereby if one album has six singles, the two figures are multiplied. So when one album is sold, with six singles on, it's 1 x 6. So if one million copies are sold it becomes six million.

It sounds ridiculous now, but it made some sense, in a way, years back as singles were the main format of consumption. It was a way to try and show how impressive it was to sell albums.

That's such a weird counting system, re: the Elvis thing. It was the only in the past few years that I learnt that singles were a faaar bigger thing than albums, especially in the 50s/60s (in fact, to those of you who don't know, many artists back then released singles that didn't even appear on their main albums).

I personally go with Thriller being at 67 million. Before MJ's death, MJJSource stated sales to be at 59 million which seems very realistic. This was from March 2005. Since then Thriller 25 released and I also read four million copies of Thriller were sold in 2009.

I'd definitely say 65 million at the minimum. Between 67-70 million at the maximum.

Yeah, around there. I saw some figures in 2013 indicating it was at 66.2 million.

Back