10 years from now, how popular do you think MJ will be?

FortéFord

Proud Member
I've noticed that some artists seem to somehow stay relevant/popular long after their death, so I was wondering about MJ. He's been died for over 7 years, but he still seems decently popular. How popular do you think he'll be in 2027?

He will remain popular if the Estate or Sony start releasing more material to keep people interested.

I think his popularity will remain the same from now on.

All the scandals and the negative writing about his looks and his behavior seems much less focused on.

Now focus is on his music, his concert - his art. - and like Mozart and the likes - great music will live forever.

So I think MJ's popularity will be the same as it is today in 10 or 30 years.

He'll be popular, even when he was alive he wasn't around.. he is more relevant today than he was in 2008.

Increase slightly as more hardcore MJ fans come out of the woodwork, the net increases it's reach and now Music journalists are really respecting more Michael's musical legacy rather than his personal life.

Plus there is the musical legacy, which will never dim, 3 or 4 generations of people know about Thriller and the moonwalk.

Still a few more sensible and thoughtful releases of Michael music by the estate (Like finished songs for his albums from OTW to Invincible, no producers and more rappers talking shit over the top of his music, or fake Cascio style cash ins)

Rolling out celebratory albums like Dangerous 25, History 25 and even Invincible 25 when we get the chance.

As long as hardcore fans are still alive, his fame will not dim. Most of us are fairly young, with new fans coming on all the time and even the core who got into Michael in his heyday from J5 to Invincible are mostly under 55.

Things are improving whne even the book scandal broken last June faded away after 3 days with most people dismissing it as rubbish and a tasteless expose of turning over of old non news by a messed up and racist Police Department who still can not get over the fact the TRUTH shone through.

Also with all these high profile celebrity 1980s icon deaths like Prince and George Michael, also revive interests in Michael. When Madonna and Stevie Wonder die, inevitable comparisons again will be made with Michael Jackson.

His music finds a whole new generation every day. I have younger relatives who are just getting into his music now, I can't see that every changing. His music and his videos are timeless and his influence to other artists will keep him relevant forever.

FortéFord;4181067 said:
I've noticed that some artists seem to somehow stay relevant/popular long after their death
Some are remembered because they are still promoted a lot and others are forgotten because they are not promoted or get little promotion. Why does anybody today know about The Bible, Mozart, or Shakespeare? Because churches still exist and orchestras play classical music from guys who have been dead hundreds of years. How do people know Superman who was created in the 1930s or old fairy tales like Snow White? Because movies, books, and TV shows are made about them. The Beatles get a lot of media attention, so the general public never really forget them, even if they don't listen to Beatles music. Younger people are more likely to know who they are. The Bay City Rollers, not so much. Notice that oldies stations or classic rock radio tend to play certain hits and/or artists over and over and ignore others. They play a lot of Journey & Steve Miller Band, but not much Supertramp.

I hope not another mf saying mj did anything. For the past 30years in every decade 93,03,13.....some bs MOLESTATION case comes fwd. If ppl dont see the pattern & leave him alone by then......

I hope not another mf saying mj did anything. For the past 30years in every decade 93,03,13.....some bs MOLESTATION case comes fwd. If ppl dont see the pattern & leave him alone by then......

Yeah all this happened after MJs most sucessful year 83 and then MJs life became a huge dramatic turning point with the pepsi accident in January 1984... which was exactly in the middle of his life (the days from his birth til the day of the pepsi accident and the days from it til his death on June 25 are exectly the same)

Last edited:
How popular? It'll depend a lot on what his done to inform the general public of how much of a SHAM all those allegations are. Taj Jackson has better find big TV channels willing to air his documentary. YouTube alone ain't enough.

Michael will always be revered, how much so is down to how well the Estate fight these sordid and ridiculous allegations

I think it'll be a similar reach to now; his music is so much in the public consciousness and so important to pop culture that I cant imagine his music disappearing.

Even as music platforms change - have you seen how many Spotify listens his top songs have garnered?!

His work is timeless. It’ll always be relevant and popular. He is a piece of history.

I think it depends on a lot of things - I am not so optimistic now as I was 1 year ago - BUT MJ will forever be relevant in music history no matter what.

He was the first black on MTV, biggest star in the world- changed musicvideos forever, changed the way singers perform - tours are now HUGE shows - MJ started that. So MJ can never be erased or forgotten. - That way his legacy is totally safe.

How popular in the general public depends on different things - those stupid allegations are not helping. A LOT of people think MJ is guilty. They see the doc, the doc is made brilliantly to make people think MJ is guilty. - Many people are not on twitter etc. - and the do not know the train station wasn't build or all the lies and stuff those two F¤%¤#"S made up... - So they only hear 1 side of the story and that's it. Very sad. These people will maybe boycut etc.

So I fear MJ will not be as popular in the next 10 years time as I had thougt. - BUT in 20 years I think people will focus on the music, the art, the dancing, the concerts etc.

He will always be remembered nothing will stop that

Remembered and popular are not the same thing…

Jack the Ripper will never be forgotten… - But he not popular…

I think MJ's music is strong enough for people to enjoy forever - but those who believe this slimy doc - and the previous allegations - they will tell their children MJ was a pedo… So the person - the humanitarian and the kindheartet MJ will not be popular I fear.

But his art - concerts, music, videos etc. - I think that will remain popular and be played.

If we somehow found out that Da Vinci was a pedo - no person in the world would suggest we should burn Mona Lisa or his other art - or boycut it... - But MJ, it's all different. Remove statues, stop playing his music etc.... - I find that extremely odd and stupid.

There are many schools (from all over the world) in which MJ is being depicted in a very positive way inside the classroom.

Actually, some of his songs take the form of lessons, & these songs are being analyzed & discussed among teacher & pupils.

Especially, his socially oriented songs, like ‘Earth Song’ which is being analyzed & discussed both from a lyrical & visual (music video) point of view.

This, not only raises pupils’ awareness to certain social/global issues, but also it is very important for his future popularity because pupils from a very early age get to know his art & they begin to form a solid, positive stance towards him.

That's so true about the school lessons! In grad school, I taught a class called Writing as Critical Thinking, and I incorporated MJ (and also Penn and Teller) into tons of my lessons. Michael's work, and just his life story in general, is awesome for discussions of critical thinking.

mj_frenzy;4254184 said:
There are many schools (from all over the world) in which MJ is being depicted in a very positive way inside the classroom.

Actually, some of his songs take the form of lessons, & these songs are being analyzed & discussed among teacher & pupils.

Especially, his socially oriented songs, like ‘Earth Song’ which is being analyzed & discussed both from a lyrical & visual (music video) point of view.

This, not only raises pupils’ awareness to certain social/global issues, but also it is very important for his future popularity because pupils from a very early age get to know his art & they begin to form a solid, positive stance towards him.

Thank you. I can personally attest to this.

Scream;4181163 said:
His music finds a whole new generation every day. I have younger relatives who are just getting into his music now, I can't see that every changing. His music and his videos are timeless and his influence to other artists will keep him relevant forever.

I agree. Michael is STILL the most popular artist among his peers and even others not of his generation. He is still the most influential artist in the history of music. No other entertainer/artist appeals to as diverse an au as Michael. He appeals to every age group, every ethic group, every generation, every race, etc. Name me any other artist in HISTORY who has done that on the level and longevity as Michael CONTINUES to do. Name me an artist who has been globally popular since the age of 5 or seven and continues 10 years after his death.I’ll answer that- NO ONE.
Who else ever could have sold out 50 shows in ONE city with no new album, no promotion, no recent appearances in around 10 years. NO ONE!

The answer is I think he will be as popular or more popular than any other artist in history. I think the Estate is doing a great job keeping Michael RELEVANT and bringing in new fans, Thankfull, Michael’s Estate is active, and constantly trying to keep his legacy alive. Fans may not agree with everything they are doing; however, they are not just sitting on their ass, doing nothing.

Last edited:
The fact that his numbers all across the board Have stayed steady will all that has happened shows me that he will be fine.
Michael was, is, and will always be the people’s champ and there is nothing that a bunch of false allegations and a media hit job will do to tear him down.
They thought they had him in 93 and that backfired
They thought they finally got him in 05 and they all received egg on their face and it backfired
They initially thought they finally had him with this hit job and still nothing has happened and it is backfiring

somewhereinthedark;4254318 said:
Who else ever could have sold out 50 shows in ONE city with no new album, no promotion, no recent appearances in around 10 years. NO ONE!
I remember when people didn’t even think that he could sell out those 50 shows.
I will never forget people in the media laughing at him and calling him names like weirdo and ***** saying that there was no way people would be interested in 50 shows from him.
They did all of that trashing of him and that backfired with a quickness.
They had egg on their face and tried their hardest to break him down by stating that he would not finish all 50 shows.
That’s why I get angry when I see some of these journalists try to rewrite history as Michael being “oh so powerful” when they were literally bullying and abusing him through the media.

After all the negative press he has had since the past 2 months , he still managed to keep a strong Spotify monthly listeners . If Michael is not detroyed by the MeeToo movement , nothing will ever touch his legacy again .

Although many think he is a pedophile , many as well think otherwise so he IS definitly popular and will be remembered .

There is absolutely no doubt he will forever be remembered. - That's a given.

He has a huge place in pop music history - video history, racial history, dance influence etc. etc. - so he will always be remembered.

Question is how popular he will be. If people believe MJ was a pedo it will impact his legacy very badly iMO. So I really hope the Estate and Taj is making a great doc to show all the lies and people will start realizing MJ was set up, blackmailed and innocent...

Back