Was Michael Jackson a singer who danced or a dancer who sang?

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
What do you think guys? Personally I think he was a singer who danced but even when he was a little kid he always danced whenever he sang. Live on stage, in the studio, at photoshoots. He seemed to never wanna stop moving lol. I saw this question somewhere (maybe it was here?) and I was surprised by a lot of the answers-

He was neither and both... He was the embodiment of music, it flowed out of his heart through his voice and body!

The question wether ... [h=2]Michael Jackson a singer who danced or a dancer who sang?
[/h]... is like the chicken or the egg causality dilemma LOL

I do not know. On one hand, I agree with respect77. On the other hand, when I think of Michael, I think of dance moves e.g the mjj productions intro. I cannot really answer I guess. My mind changes all the time. Maybe it depends on what you discovered first. The thing that got you hooked. His voice or his dance skills.

The question wether ... [h=2]Michael Jackson a singer who danced or a dancer who sang?
[/h]... is like the chicken or the egg causality dilemma LOL

I do not know. On one hand, I agree with respect77. On the other hand, when I think of Michael, I think of dance moves e.g the mjj productions intro. I cannot really answer I guess. My mind changes all the time. Maybe it depends on what you discovered first. The thing that got you hooked. His voice or his dance skills.

I guess i kinda is.. Lol. But there definitely other artist that starts out as singers and then branch out and starts doing more choregraphy and dance routines like taylor swift or Ariana Grande. They are Singers who [sorta] dance imo. Then there are people who started as backupdancers who ended up having a singing career. They dancers who sing. MJ was equally gifted in both areas so it's kind of hard to say. It really is like the egg or chicken conoundrum. Ask yourself this question if you had to choose between MJ singing and never dancing or MJ dancing and never singing what would you choose?

I guess i kinda is.. Lol. But there definitely other artist that starts out as singers and then branch out and starts doing more choregraphy and dance routines like taylor swift or Ariana Grande. They are Singers who [sorta] dance imo. Then there are people who started as backupdancers who ended up having a singing career. They dancers who sing. MJ was equally gifted in both areas so it's kind of hard to say. It really is like the egg or chicken conoundrum. Ask yourself this question if you had to choose between MJ singing and never dancing or MJ dancing and never singing what would you choose?

Intriguing question indeed and yeah if it 'confuzzled' you somehow lol. :unsure: The question that 'solves' the 'brain breaker' is in BOLD.
Guess, it's another 'wording' for what has the MOST 'Impact' on you? MJ's Dancing or MJ's Singing?

I would dare to say his dancing and I would even dare to say sometimes I watch 'muted' videos on FB :ph34r: so I can only 'drown' in his whirl. :busted:

Of course, MJ is gifted in both and to conclude the 'ramble I would state he is both. A singer who danced and dancer who sang :cheeky:

He was a sanger who danced, because he want do to do so much Albums and Wanted no concert tour.

MattyJam;4181560 said:
The reason why Michael Jackson stands head and shoulders above everyone else is because he was truly exceptionally gifted at both. Most are good at one and get by on the other, Janet for example is a great dancer and an okay singer, Beyoncé is inverted - she's a great singer and an average dance. MJ was not just good at both, he was exceptional at both.

To be honest though, most of todays popstars are distinctly average in both of these areas. That's why, you'll find in 15-20 years time, people will still be streaming MJ's music and watching his videos, but they won't be with Bieber, Timberlake, Beyoncé etc.

I agree, but and its a big but.....it was the songwriting.

You can be the best singer and dancer in the world, but you won't have the longevity and you won't make history. Not in the pop/music world.

The songwriting genius means you don't have to be watching MJ to appreciate the talent.

Imagine, if you will that you have just landed from Mars and you know nothing about Michael Jackson, you could play his albums and still think he was a genius. Add the visuals of his videos or live performance and this enhances the amazing works you're hearing.

Yes he had a beautiful and fantastic voice, yes he could move like a funked up gazelle on speed. But for me, his biggest talent was his songwriting.

Earth Song
Don't Stop
Billie Jean
TDCAU
TWYMMF
Dirty Diana
Smooth Criminal
Black or White
Working Day and Night
Can You Feel It
Stranger in Moscow
Who Is It
Give In To Me

All solely written or virtually solely in GITM and BoW case. And these are just a few examples.

Michael Jackson couldn't sing without dancing, and he couldn't dance without singing. He is the truest singer-dancer ever because he wrote so many of his own songs.?

I think of him as a singer first so for me he was a singer who just happened to be a great dancer as well

Since what he did first was singing i would say he was a singer who danced. But later he was just both..

i need to correct myself.. he was a singer who could dance and became a true artist who could do a lot of things.

Michael was an entertainer who was exceptional at both song and dance. The world knew him first as a gifted vocalist, but he was always a dancer in his soul. He felt the music flow through him and he showed us the music, in his dance. I don't think the two parts of him can be separated, to be honest. He is perhaps the only performer ever, who was able to intertwine dancing and singing together so perfectly in his performances, so that one could not really exist without the other. As we know, he even danced in the recording studio, when most singers stand perfectly still, at the microphone. He tapped, thumped, stomped and clicked his way into our psyche.

The general consensus is that he was a dancer who sang.

Not a singer who danced.

His dancing abilities overshadowed his vocal skills.

Also, note here that his vocal skills began to deteriorate due to several serious health issues that he was facing during his later years.

Mikky Dee;4249907 said:
As we know, he even danced in the recording studio, when most singers stand perfectly still, at the microphone. He tapped, thumped, stomped and clicked his way into our psyche.

That is not necessarily good while recording.

Because of that it was very difficult for his producers to record his clean vocals & in fact that hindered the whole recording process during the sessions.

Jimmy Jam, for example, has already revealed (concerning the recording of certain songs of the ‘HIStory’ album) that MJ was not the easiest person for a producer to work with in the studio because of those habits that MJ had whille singing in the studio (his tapping, thumping, stomping, etc).

A singer who danced... without the music and the voice we would most likely not had heard about him :) love his voice, so soothing for the soul :love:

I think casual or non fans would say he is better known for his dancing but for me. He’s a better vocalist than a dancer. Don’t get me wrong he is obviously an absolutely terrific dancer but vocally he was on a level all of his own.
I think Freddie is the only person I can think of that can even come close. The way Michael could convey emotion, even as a child, and sing any genre is unprecedented. He was an extremely gifted and talented vocalist.

Maybe yours.

He was both. Plain and simple.

Maybe mine? No.

Create as many polls as you want with that trite question, anywhere you want, & you will get the predominant result that he was known more as a dancer than as a vocalist.

MJ was a dancer who sang, not the opposite, or not equally good at both of them.

Singer who danced. If you do a concert and just sing its expected, but if you go to a concert and they just dance, then it isn't a concert.

Can you dance without any beat or music? So you need the music first before you can dance to it! lol :D

Michael's singing was just as distinctive as his dancing. from his clear, smooth high tenor that he could alter to sound urgent, desperate, or joyful depending on the mood. or the multi-layering to create velvety harmonies like a solo choir. his rich, soaring falsetto as evident on songs like 'don't stop' or 'human nature'. it could even be his vocal ticks such as hiccups, squeals, and whoops.

there's a reason why very few are able to do his songs justice when they cover them. especially men. his dancing served as a way to further emphasise all of that. it was often difficult to tell where one ended and where the other began. he was the total performer who couldn't be dissected or compartmentalised.

Can argue both ways:
Dancing:
- Iconic. Moonwalk, spins, Thriller dance, Motown 25. The fact that as he got older the live singing was sacrificed in lieu of the dancing. His 2 autobio's are 'Moonwalker' and 'Dancing the Dream'. Biggest influences are James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly.

Singing:
- Genuinely difficult songs and vocal performances. Writes his own songs. Provides multi-layered intricate background harmonies for his tracks. His own personal favourites tend to be his ballads, in particular 'Heal The World' which has no dancing. Took great care of his voice and spent most of his professional life in the studio singing.

As a dancer he is king.
As a singer, he is king.

Back