Ne-Yo's Michael Tribute at the African American Museum Opening

barbee0715

Proud Member
I didn't hear a thing about this special or even see a commercial for it, so I walked in on it during the last 20 minutes. Ran across this today (didn't see anything on YouTube), but the article was scathing. I watched it, and I thought he did a really good job. (I left out the mean tweets).

<header class="post-header" style="box-sizing: border-box; position: relative; margin: 0px 0px 20px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Roboto; font-size: 15px;">Ne-Yo Leaves Viewers Underwhelmed With Michael Jackson Tribute On &#8216;Taking The Stage&#8217;

HOLLYWOOD/TV/REALITY TVNEWS
by Elle Breezy <time class="entry-date published updated" datetime="2017-01-13T15:07:21+00:00" style="box-sizing: border-box;">1 day</time> ago
<figure class="image-overlay" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px auto; max-width: 100%; background: rgb(241, 242, 244); position: relative;">
Ne-yo-Taking-the-stage-730x480.jpg
</figure></header>
Last night (Jan. 11), the celebration that took place back in September of the opening of the African American Museum of History and Culture in Washington D.C aired in a special called &#8220;Taking The Stage: African American Music And Stories That Changed America.&#8221;
Ne-Yo was present to pay tribute to Michael Jackson, singing &#8220;Don&#8217;t Stop Till You Get Enough&#8221; &#8220;Wanna Be Startin&#8217; Something,&#8221; and &#8220;Earth Song,&#8221; but many weren&#8217;t feeling his performance at the Kennedy Center.
Some social media comments include:

<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" data-tweet-id="819742421466710018" style="box-sizing: border-box; position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></twitterwidget><twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-1" data-tweet-id="819742187772583938" style="box-sizing: border-box; position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></twitterwidget><twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-2" data-tweet-id="819741512682602496" style="box-sizing: border-box; position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></twitterwidget><twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-3" data-tweet-id="819742173071605761" style="box-sizing: border-box; position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></twitterwidget>
MJ&#8217;s shoes ARE a tall order to fill. Watch below and let us know what you think of Ne-Yo&#8217;s MJ tribute.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FOpinionatedMe%2Fvideos%2F966944116738575%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px auto; max-width: 100%; border-width: initial; border-style: none; overflow: hidden;"></iframe>

• <iframe name="f226c78923564a" width="1000px" height="1000px" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no" title="fb:share_button Facebook Social Plugin" src="https://www.facebook.com/v2.4/plugins/share_button.php?app_id=&channel=http%3A%2F%2Fstaticxx.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2Fr%2FD6ZfFsLEB4F.js%3Fversion%3D42%23cb%3Df32d63e7ded3908%26domain%3Dsingersroom.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fsingersroom.com%252Ff120643035f88c4%26relation%3Dparent.parent&container_width=0&href=http%3A%2F%2Fsingersroom.com%2Fcontent%2F2017-01-13%2Fne-yo-leaves-viewers-underwhelmed-michael-jackson-tribute-taking-stage%2F&layout=button_count&locale=en_US&sdk=joey" class="" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px auto; max-width: 100%; position: absolute; border-width: initial; border-style: none; visibility: visible; width: 75px; height: 20px;"></iframe>hhttead more: http://singersroom.com/content/2017...l-jackson-tribute-taking-stage/#ixzz4VnHXfcr1

Hmmm. This is the first I'm hearing about it too.
But um..,wow. He was just OK for me. It got a little better by the time he got to Earth Song.
But it's OK, I know he loves MJ and always honors him from the heart. So big ups to Neyo.
Thanks for posting this Barbee.
icon14.png

^^Ha-He didn't pick particularly "easy" songs to sing, did he? I love watching the audience smile, clap and sing "mama se, mama sa..:

(Usher did the James Brown tribute-and it was funny watching the President and Ms. Obama singing "Get On Up" Lol.

Yeah, I could see some celebs in the audience. They seem to be enjoying the show. :unsure:

And whomever said MJ's shoes are hard to fill is so right. But they can try! With L.O.V.E.

I wonder if the program will repeat?

Gosh, I miss Michael so freaking much! Man oh man!

Is this online anywhere? What did Chris Tucker say in his intro?

Thanks Barbee for sharing (y)

I literally had tears in my eyes watching it :blush:

Wonderful tribute to our Man, Michael ?

Wow this seems to have been a huge event - I'm so glad they had a tribute to Michael! Which other artists were honoured here?

Is this online anywhere? What did Chris Tucker say in his intro?
Just a few seconds in that video above. Said Michael was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame TWICE and sold a billion albums worldwide. Then introduced Neyo.

Wow this seems to have been a huge event - I'm so glad they had a tribute to Michael! Which other artists were honoured here?
I haven't found anything on YouTube, but when you click on the article link they have Usher honoring James Brown, Cristina Aguillera singing "Stormy Weather" for Lena Horne, and Fantasia singing an Aretha Franklin song.

Thanks. My ad blocker on my browser is blocking the video so I couldn't view it.

It was alright I guess, but I'm glad there was a tribute nonetheless :)

I like it. Obviously you can't compare it with Michael. But he did well and it's always great to see Michael is remembered. :)

I like it. Obviously you can't compare it with Michael. But he did well and it's always great to see Michael is remembered. :)

I agree. I don't have a problem with Ne-Yo's performance, at all.....I think he did well. DSTYGE and WBSS were good, fun song choices for the medley and many people in the audience were getting into the spirit of it. Ne-Yo stayed within his own comfort zone in terms of dance moves; he lowered the pitch on "Earth Song" and put his own flavour on it and I think it was a sensible choice to end the performance with this, one of Michael's more important social comment songs. The backup dancers and the visuals on the screen behind Ne-Yo added a little more to the performance, overall - the whole thing was suitable and appropriate for the occasion, in my opinion. What's worse, is when someone tries to do too much and makes it look like comedy (a.k.a Chris Brown and his fake crying and such).

Back