Heaven Can Wait

• Like It

Votes: 39 84.8%
  • Don't Like It

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters

Michaels Lover

Guests
I'm interested in knowing what people think about this song?

One of the few songs on this album that i like. It's smoothly relaxed and intense at the same time. (Judging mostly based on music and vocal performance).

Up until today it bored me to tears, but having just listened to the MOV vinyl pressing of the album I like it a lot more now.

Back when we still had him it was my most favorite song on the album. Now I absolutely hate the song. For obvious reasons is why I hate the song now. Because to me it is nothing more than a constant horrible reminder.:boohoo I also try to forget that the Invincible album ever even existed. So of course I voted I don't like it.:(

It's a good song, I think it would have only made it onto Invincible (like a lot of cuts on that record)

Some days I really like it but other days I'm just waiting for YRMW to come on. I do love the chorus I gotta admit, the sentiment is sweet and sincere.

It's a decent song but nothing special. I think it's lyrically a bit weak and the production seems rather rushed. The only saving grace of this song is MJ's amazing vocal delivery which I believe to be one of his best.

Heaven Can Wait has one of MJ's greatest vocal deliveries of his entire adult career, I truly believe that. Listen to those adlibs after the second chorus. "I can't be without my baaaaby" and "I love you girl, I need you baby, I want you baby, no no-o-o-o."

And then at the end, when you're just left with just those luscious strings and his voice, desperately pleading "just leave us alone, please leave us alone, aaahhh, leave me alone, please leave me alone." He sounds so wounded and vulnerable. Love love love it.

I always skipped the song because i found it a bit boring but then i read what you wrote, so i had to hear it from start to finish.. I feel guilty now :D

Such a beautiful song... and it's so refreshing compared to many songs that were made around that time.... MJ never talked about women in a derogatory way in his songs

Good song....but Liberian Girl is better.
Would you say that a lot of what makes Liberian Girl so incredible is the way the song is mixed and mastered? Your hearing all the different layers and it has a real sense of depth. You feel like your actually in Liberia. Apart from it being a stunning melody with sublime vocals.

Would you say that a lot of what makes Liberian Girl so incredible is the way the song is mixed and mastered? Your hearing all the different layers and it has a real sense of depth. You feel like your actually in Liberia. Apart from it being a stunning melody with sublime vocals.

All that, plus it's just one of those deceptively simple MJ songs that's beautifully melodic.

Like other Bad songs like APOM and Speed Demon, it's elevated to brilliance somehow. Just has that MJ magic that Break of Dawn doesn't.

All that, plus it's just one of those deceptively simple MJ songs that's beautifully melodic.

Like other Bad songs like APOM and Speed Demon, it's elevated to brilliance somehow. Just has that MJ magic that Break of Dawn doesn't.
You've got to hear Break of Dawn on MOV. It's brilliant.

His vocals are the highlight of this track. In general I'm not into it.

One of the best songs from Invincible. Brilliant vocal performance, one of his best ever. Should have been a single from Invincible.

Back when we still had him it was my most favorite song on the album. Now I absolutely hate the song. For obvious reasons is why I hate the song now. Because to me it is nothing more than a constant horrible reminder.:boohoo I also try to forget that the Invincible album ever even existed. So of course I voted I don't like it.:(

Don't you say that about every MJ song/album that gets a thread on here?

I'm beginning to wonder if you are having a big laugh at our expense.

Either that, or you need serious help!

Don't like it, LOVE it :) Yes listening to it now makes you sad, but it's a wonderful song nevertheless. :wub:

Yes, his voice in it sounds amazing! His vocal abilities are strong on this album.

I love it; his vocals are great, and the chorus is sweet and sentimental, without being saccharine, and, of course, his ad-libs are wonderful.

its a good song that seems to be missing another dimension.. I think not having a strong bridge in a song that almost is 5 minutes long starts to have a 'dragging' feeling.. but what's in there is great! just needed a strong bridge

Why do you keep coming back to a Michael Jackson fan forum if his work causes you so much pain?

Like you want to forget Invincible ever existed yet you come waltzing into a thread dedicated to one of it's songs... ???

I used to be rather fond of this one, but overtime it's lost its charm for me.

I also find Michael's vocal to be massively disappointing and painful to listen to. Over the bridge, he's not singing so much as screaming, as if he's trying to reach notes he simply can't reach (even though we all know he was capable of it). Even the sole "hee!" around the 3:22 mark is breathy and forced. It's the first time I've ever heard such a thing on an MJ record.

He sounds glorious through the first two verses, but the last half of the song just falls apart for me.

MJ strained his voice during the recording sessions for this song and it actually broke. They eventually cut out most of the screaming takes.

MJ strained his voice during the recording sessions for this song and it actually broke. They eventually cut out most of the screaming takes.

Never knew this. Is there a source? Is it from an interview or something? Would like to read more about it.

MattyJam;4185837 said:
I listened to this song again today, and I have to say, I've always been surprised that this song isn't more highly praised amongst the fanbase.

I think part of the reason for that has to do with its theme which evokes very sad feelings to many of his fans (given MJ’s early demise).

But personally I consider ‘Heaven Can Wait’ a standout track (from his entire catalogue) that I always enjoy listening to it. That song showed that soulfulness was always a significant part of his music till his last studio album.

Hess;4186156 said:
Never knew this. Is there a source? Is it from an interview or something? Would like to read more about it.

MattyJam;4186173 said:
Yes, I too would like to know, how do you know this?

It is just the usual, wild speculations from some fans who speak as if they had been in the studio next to MJ & his producers during certain recording sessions.

Back