Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy an MJ Vinyl Collection Magazine?

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 687 Posts

Default Would you buy an MJ Vinyl Collection Magazine?

So yesterday I picked up the first issue of The Beatles Vinyl Collection Magazine! It comes with the album Abbey Road on vinyl, a magazine -more of a pamphlet really- dealing with the album, a large poster of all the albums to collect and a binder to keep the magazines in. 22 more of these will be released -23 in all! All their albums as well as the fan favorites The Red and The Blue hits collections, the Anthology 1, 2 and 3 series, #1’s and the At The BBC albums. I played my Abbey Road album just now and it sounds great.

So.....Could they, should they and would they do the same for MJ? Would you buy it? Would it sell well? I think it would be a great way to bring MJ’s music back to the masses; shops that don’t normally stock music selling MJ’s albums on vinyl with a magazine dealing with that issues album; a different one to collect every fortnight. The first in this Beatles set ‘Abbey Road was their last album of recordings –Let It Be was recorded before it and Phil Spector later drafted in to piece it together and add orchestrations- so this is kept interesting by not releasing everything chronologically.

They sell everything in magazine form right now from build your own CP30/R2-D2 of Star Wars to the DeLorean of Back To The Future!

So I estimate roughly 28 albums from Diana Ross Present’s to Invincible. If that’s too much a few could possibly be left out such as Get It Together -Dancing Machine features on the album of the same name- Moving Violation as it was only released as a way to cash in before they released their first Epic album and the album title is a bit of an Insult, and anything else that contained the same songs.

Obviously the immediate red-tape is Motown but surely it would be in their interest to partner up as 12 of the albums -8 J5/4 MJ solo- would be from them -the golden age of Motown too!-and each magazine with Motown albums would be talking about the Motown days.

So would you buy it? Is it viable? Or is it all a money racket that will cost a person the bones of 500 quid?!! The first would come with a giant poster, binder, and magazine. First issue would have to be one of the mega selling solo albums to hook people in and make them part with their cash. I’m thinking Off The Wall on 180 gram vinyl -just like The Beatles vinyl- all for the introductory price of 9:99! I say use this Beatles offering as the blueprint. After that it would go up to around 20 pounds and some of the albums would be double vinyls –Dangerous/Invincible, some would be triple -HIStory- and possibly the Ultimate Collection. For certain things like HIStory rather than have the thick giant book – it wouldn’t be cost effective- the booklet would come in the form of inserts to keep costs down. Each one from this set would be collectable.

So rather than each one being released in order, to keep it fresh and exciting, the order would look something like this ‘Off The Wall, ABC, Triumph, Got To Be There, Invincible, Diana Ross Present’s, Goin’ Places, Forever Michael, Victory, Skywriter, Bad, Third Album, Destiny, HIStory etc. Obviously the jumbled up order would be much better thought out than this and everything would be spaced out to perfection so you would get a solo album, J5 album, Jackson’s album etc. Some weeks would be really exciting –The Jackson’s Live album- and other weeks you'd learn something and listen to an album you weren’t overly familiar with -or never heard before- and could end up really loving.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by aazzaabb; 09-03-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 918 Posts

Default Re: Would you buy an MJ Vinyl Collection Magazine?

Wow, that's weird. I saw the advert for that & thought about an MJ (and Madonna & Prince versions).

I probably would if the vinyk quality was up to (ahem) scratch.

Would only really want post Motown though
    I CAN'T TAKE IT 'COS I'M TONY

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    Wow, that's weird. I saw the advert for that & thought about an MJ (and Madonna & Prince versions).

I probably would if the vinyk quality was up to (ahem) scratch.

Would only really want post Motown though
    Great minds.... Ok, without the Motown albums would you include Posthumous releases? What about Destiny and Triumph? Would be quite something to have The Ultimate Collection on vinyl.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aazzaabb View Post
    Great minds.... Ok, without the Motown albums would you include Posthumous releases? What about Destiny and Triumph? Would be quite something to have The Ultimate Collection on vinyl.
    Not sure I'd be bothered about full TUC, but a version of just the unreleased stuff e.g. Sunset Driver, We've Had Enough etc.

Definitely Destiny, Triumph and Victory. I'd want original artwork and pressings though. No George Lucas style ****ery with the originals.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Not sure I'd be bothered about full TUC, but a version of just the unreleased stuff e.g. Sunset Driver, We've Had Enough etc.

Definitely Destiny, Triumph and Victory. I'd want original artwork and pressings though. No George Lucas style ****ery with the originals.
    would like all of the unreleased stuff collected on one set; The Ultimate Collection, Demos from the Special Editions, One More Chance, For All Time, Got The Hots, Bad25, the 6 tracks from Michael and the original demos from the deluxe Xscape.

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,679 Times in 1,451 Posts

Yes, properly mastered. The recent 2016 vinyl releases used the iTunes masters, which i would pass on.

Is that magazine going to do the stereo or mono versions of the LPs Aaron? Im in the middle of collecting the Beatles mono LPs because they mostly sound betted (other than the White Album).

Also, anything for a decent pressing of HIStory, with original mixes and BOTDF. I know ill end up spending silly money for a 2nd hand pressing

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    Yes, properly mastered. The recent 2016 vinyl releases used the iTunes masters, which i would pass on.

Is that magazine going to do the stereo or mono versions of the LPs Aaron? Im in the middle of collecting the Beatles mono LPs because they mostly sound betted (other than the White Album).

Also, anything for a decent pressing of HIStory, with original mixes and BOTDF. I know ill end up spending silly money for a 2nd hand pressing

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    This Beatles series is in Stereo. It sounds good to me but then I'm no expert. Think I should leave these albums and go for the Mono's? Man I really love Abbey Road.

What do you reckon would be the ideal way for an MJ series like this? Include Motown or keep it to Epic/Sony with the Jackson's albums?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Actually probably keep it simple and just any proper Jacksons album onwards. So I think that's Destiny thru Invincible.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Actually probably keep it simple and just any proper Jacksons album onwards. So I think that's Destiny thru Invincible.
    I like the idea of the Jacksons Destiny/Triumph/Victory and also Michael as a 7 -never gonna happen- track album and Xscape Deluxe.

They should definitely tap into the latest vinyl craze! It's another opportunity for them to release Thriller again.

Destiny, Off The Wall, Truimph, Thriller, Victory, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory, Blood On The Dance Floor, Invincible, Ultimate Collection, Michael -Cascio tracks removed-, Xscape! One a month with The Ultimate Collection coming out as the last one in late December in time for Christmas. More afordable for fans and casuals.

I reckon a lot of casuals would buy this, especially OTW, Thriller & Bad. So many fans would buy The Ultimate Collection because it would be the first time that set would be made available on vinyl, even if it was just the unreleased material.
    Last edited by aazzaabb; 09-03-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Michaels Lover

I don't see why any albums should be left out. I would only buy it if it was a complete collection

Sendt fra min Lenovo A7600-F med Tapatalk

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels Lover View Post
    I don't see why any albums should be left out. I would only buy it if it was a complete collection

As in from Motown to Invincible? It's probably too many albums that would run up the cost and possibly low sales on the lesser known albums. I would love it but the more I think about it, it's probably unrealistic. Thriller would sell out but Moving Violation would be returned -possibly-

On the other hand all the adult solo's plus the 3 essential Jackson's albums, plus a set of rarities -Ulltimate Collection: Unreleased are chock full with hits, a lot of the early middle albums between the end of Motown and beginning of Epic are virtually unknown outside the fanbase and even then most fans don't really listen to those albums. Just trying to think from a business sense.

Michaels Lover

Yeah, I see what you mean. I was looking at it from a collectors point of view. I wouldn't buy it then

Last edited by Michaels Lover; 10-03-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels Lover View Post
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I was looking at it from a collectors point of view. I wouldn't buy it then

It would be roughly 27 or 28 issues -that's not including posthumous albums- I mean it is only around 5 or 6 more than what The Beatles are doing. I suppose it dosent have to be any specific number but I wonder if it's too many issues with albums that weren't popular would they sell, would enough fans commit to buying them? It would be cool.

Michaels Lover

Quote Originally Posted by aazzaabb View Post
    It would be roughly 27 or 28 issues -that's not including posthumous albums- I mean it is only around 5 or 6 more than what The Beatles are doing. I suppose it dosent have to be any specific number but I wonder if it's too many issues with albums that weren't popular would they sell, would enough fans commit to buying them? It would be cool.
    How well do you think the Beatles one will sell?

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

The idea is good, but these "Partworks" are very expensive and take a long time to collect. They are fish hooks as well. The first part or two are sold at a very cheap price, but later parts cost much more (As much as $20 in some cases). They have been around for years and DeAgostini despite the Italian name, is very British, along with another group Fabbri. Hachette, Eaglemoss and Orbis media are others.

Being in New Zealand, we are commonwealth and thus perfect for the UK's literary castoffs. A local monopoly called Gordon and Gotch bring over Britsh magazines some 3 months after they were on sale in the UK (Example - December issues on sale now). Partworks are at least 18 months old and are dumped on the "colonies" after they are unsold in the UK, even with currency exchanges and mark ups, the secondary sale of these items is much higher than in the UK. This beatles thing will reach New Zealand at the end of Next year or early 2019 if at all.

Partworks cover everything, knowledge encyclopaedias, music, building models (A part a week), lists of kings and countries and even collecting coins. They usually end up costing $100s. An example was a 116 part work building a warship, a piece a week. At the cost of £3.95 a part, that is nearly £500 to build a ship model that is worth may one tenth of that.

Even worse is they are imported around the commonwealth and we get them here in NZ, but usually 18 months or 2 years later and are often marked up above the exchange rate. I collected a set of famous murder magazines between 2004 and 2007, the 157 parts cost nearly $900 in our money and looking at the trashy 16 page tabloid magazines, are virtually worthless. Even worse is when they miss parts and your model is incomplete. It was like in the old days with encyclopaedias sold door to door, you paid thousands for a set of books that would be obselete in a few years. Fortunately wikipedia killed that off.

Stay away from it, unless you have deep pockets, this is obvioulsy the first one, designed to lure you in and then offer lesser albums afterwards. It was like a coin magazine I started collecting in 1999 by Fabbri. The first issue cost $5 and had a 40% silver halfdollar of the USA then (Worth $5), and every issue afterwards cost $10 and usually the coin or note contained was the lowest possible denomination of each country (Try 1 Canadian cent, 1 British p, 1 Pfennig (Pre Euro) etc) and it was just a rip off and you were buying the most rubbishy coins.
    Last edited by mjprince1976; 10-03-2017 at 10:43 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mjprince1976 For This Useful Post: